Journey Review

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Man, I have never WANTED to pay a game as much as you have made me want to play this one.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Maybe I'm jaded.
Maybe I'm a tightwad.
Maybe I have a mortgage.

$15 was just not something I was willing to shell out for something I know will take about the time it takes to watch a movie.

2nd thought: The one time the PSN gets an exclusive that's good and well... just look at the reactions.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Nelson Goodrich said:
I love the way you didn´t talk about the gameplay; a lot of people says that discovering it is half the fun, so I stopped looking for info about this game. But when I saw it was your review I had to take the risk.
One question, I want to play it but can`t do it right now, I dont have a ton of time at this moment; will my experience be dimished if I wait too long and I don`t find someone online to share the journey with me (no pun intended).
As always, I love your work.
Honestly, yes. The game will still be lovely, of course, but its magic comes from being a shared experience. It won't be the same without that.
Yeah, the player interactions are a big part of what makes the game special (though not all by a long shot). However, you have to figure that as long as there's an even number of players playing the game online, you'll get an partner, since the game hooks you up automatically. It shouldn't matter if there's 4 or 4000 people playing the game at one time, they should all get matched up.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
ace_of_something said:
Maybe I'm jaded.
Maybe I'm a tightwad.
Maybe I have a mortgage.

$15 was just not something I was willing to shell out for something I know will take about the time it takes to watch a movie.
And yet $15 is pretty much the price you (speaking in general) would pay to see a movie, and is a bit less than most DVDs or Blu-Rays cost. And this game hits an emotional core most movies can't. So, yeah, totally wort it.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Crimson_Dragoon said:
ace_of_something said:
Maybe I'm jaded.
Maybe I'm a tightwad.
Maybe I have a mortgage.

And yet $15 is pretty much the price you (speaking in general) would pay to see a movie, and is a bit less than most DVDs or Blu-Rays cost. And this game hits an emotional core most movies can't. So, yeah, totally wort it.
Where I live movies still cost $7-8 to go see at a theater. I understand the point you are trying to make though. I think I'll wait for the inevitable price cut that comes with anything on the psn that is widely successful.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Crimson_Dragoon said:
Susan Arendt said:
Nelson Goodrich said:
I love the way you didn´t talk about the gameplay; a lot of people says that discovering it is half the fun, so I stopped looking for info about this game. But when I saw it was your review I had to take the risk.
One question, I want to play it but can`t do it right now, I dont have a ton of time at this moment; will my experience be dimished if I wait too long and I don`t find someone online to share the journey with me (no pun intended).
Honestly, yes. The game will still be lovely, of course, but its magic comes from being a shared experience. It won't be the same without that.
Yeah, the player interactions are a big part of what makes the game special (though not all by a long shot). However, you have to figure that as long as there's an even number of players playing the game online, you'll get an partner, since the game hooks you up automatically. It shouldn't matter if there's 4 or 4000 people playing the game at one time, they should all get matched up.
Here's a question - let's say that activity dwindles to the point that you wind up working through the game with the same person, as opposed to a different person in every section? Do you think that would change the overall tenor of the game for you?

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Crimson_Dragoon said:
Susan Arendt said:
Nelson Goodrich said:
Here's a question - let's say that activity dwindles to the point that you wind up working through the game with the same person, as opposed to a different person in every section? Do you think that would change the overall tenor of the game for you?
Pretty sure that would just make me feel even closer to my partner. Assuming he actually plays with me instead of running off.

Also I really wish this was coming to PC...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Journey is this year's Portal.

I usually hate comparisons like that, but it's just that similar to Valve's short and sweet perfection.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Li Mu said:
This game will bomb. Why? A serious lack of chest high walls.

To make this game more successful they need to add chest high walls, a death match mode with some vehicles and...well just turn it into a COD/BF clone. Why have originality when you can have the same thing in a different skin?

What's the price of this game? At 2 hours long I would expect a budget pricing.
Jesus dude, bitter much?

Anyways I believe the price is 12.99 or something along those lines.

Dec 14, 2009
Casual Shinji said:

I usually hate comparisons like that, but it's just that similar to Valve's short and sweet perfection.
Except there's no way it can spawn a meme that got boring 2 weeks after the game's release.

[sub]I hope...[/sub]

Dec 14, 2009
anthony87 said:
Li Mu said:
This game will bomb. Why? A serious lack of chest high walls.

To make this game more successful they need to add chest high walls, a death match mode with some vehicles and...well just turn it into a COD/BF clone. Why have originality when you can have the same thing in a different skin?

What's the price of this game? At 2 hours long I would expect a budget pricing.
Jesus dude, bitter much?

Anyways I believe the price is 12.99 or something along those lines.
£9.99

Best tenner I've ever spent. Unless you're talking about different currency, of course.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Piorn said:
I cried. It was beautiful.

Also, did they announce the soundtrack, yet? I want to give them more money.
Yeah man, I want that soundtrack so much.

Take all my monies!
I want the soundtrack along with a video that just plays that sidescrolling surfing scene over and over! Surely you know the scene I'm talking about right? I've rarely been blown away so much by the lighting of a game.

Also, have you come across any white cloaks yet?

Dec 14, 2009
anthony87 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Piorn said:
I cried. It was beautiful.

Also, did they announce the soundtrack, yet? I want to give them more money.
Yeah man, I want that soundtrack so much.

Take all my monies!
I want the soundtrack along with a video that just plays that sidescrolling surfing scene over and over! Surely you know the scene I'm talking about right? I've rarely been blown away so much by the lighting of a game.

Also, have you come across any white cloaks yet?
Yeah, I was wondering what the white cloaks were. Maybe for getting all the trophies?

And yes, that scene is absolutely fucking amazing, blew my fucking mind how great the lighting was as well as the calm, serene soundtrack as you glide past the lost city. And the sand? How do you make sand blow someone's mind? I don't know man, but it blew mine.

Beautiful.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Why, journey? Why must you be on the one console I don't own?

Please come to Steam. Please.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
This and Flower have been the only two games that entice me to buy a ps3. However, it is STILL of my budget. I know flower would be almost impossible to port due to the dependence on the PS3's controller, but Journey is something that I've anxious to play since I heard about it (and after playing flOw).

Arrrrg...PC is such a rich place for games like this, I truly hope they'll shop around this gem.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
anthony87 said:
Yeah, I was wondering what the white cloaks were. Maybe for getting all the trophies?

And yes, that scene is absolutely fucking amazing, blew my fucking mind how great the lighting was as well as the calm, serene soundtrack as you glide past the lost city. And the sand? How do you make sand blow someone's mind? I don't know man, but it blew mine.

Beautiful.
You can get the white cloak once you get the gold trophy for getting all of the scarf lengthening glyph thingys. Trouble with that is that you can zoom right by two of them when you're doing the surfing parts. One thing I've noticed about people with the white cloaks though is that they seem to be kinda loners, always rushing ahead on their own.

Also,
Daystar Clarion said:
£9.99

Best tenner I've ever spent. Unless you're talking about different currency, of course.
Yeah I was talking about euros. And a tenner? Mwhahaaha! I got it for FREE courtesy of Gamesradar!

.....Yes I'm aware I'm gloating but goddammit I'm so happy about it!

Dec 14, 2009
anthony87 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
anthony87 said:

Beautiful.
You can get the white cloak once you get the gold trophy for getting all of the scarf lengthening glyph thingys. Trouble with that is that you can zoom right by two of them when you're doing the surfing parts. One thing I've noticed about people with the white cloaks though is that they seem to be kinda loners, always rushing ahead on their own.

Also,
Daystar Clarion said:
£9.99

Yeah I was talking about euros. And a tenner? Mwhahaaha! I got it for FREE courtesy of Gamesradar!

.....Yes I'm aware I'm gloating but goddammit I'm so happy about it!
Hey, fuck you guy :D

That may be the meme right there...

But yes, of all the games to get free, this is probably the best.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Casual Shinji said:

Except there's no way it can spawn a meme that got boring 2 weeks after the game's release.

[sub]I hope...[/sub]
Thank fucking God for that. Though that muck has mostly dried up and evaporated over the years, so playing Portal now doesn't carry with it the overbearing stench it once did.

But you never now, maybe they'll make a meme out of (((((PLONG))))).

Feb 18, 2009
Rabid Toilet said:
Nelson Goodrich said:
I can say from experience that the game is still incredible even alone. I was worried the multiplayer would ruin the feel of the game, so I played it with my internet off. I still loved it.
Well that pretty much solves my issues. I really like the game's concept and art style, but I hate online gaming; it's conflicting. I was feeling hesitant about buying a game I could only half enjoy, but I think I might give this a try anyway. Who knows, maybe this is a multiplayer experience even a dullard like myself can learn to appreciate.

Thanks, Toilet.

Dec 14, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Casual Shinji said:

[sub]I hope...[/sub]
Thank fucking God for that. Though that muck has mostly dried up and evaporated over the years, so playing Portal now doesn't carry with it the overbearing stench it once did.

But you never now, maybe they'll make a meme out of (((((PLONG))))).
I'm sure the internet guy (whoever they are) are working hard, so that we are never short of funny captioned pictures.