Julian Assange is a prick.

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
NoneOfYourBusiness said:
The more people dislike him, i like him more.
Why? Dude is accused (and refuses to go to court) of rape. Disliking him seems like the sensible option to me.

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
Henkie36 said:
ArnRand said:
Julian Assange is a prick. First of all, the guy sexually assaults two women
You should probably know that something counts as sexual assault in Sweden when it's unprotected sex without informing her prior to it, which was probably the case here.

Also, you'd be wise to take a milder tone. We have a justice system here in Europe where you are innocent until proven guilty. He hasn't been proven guilty yet, and the only reason he is still in the media is because he released something the US government would ruther have he didn't.
Yeah, I think I jumped to conclusions there. I've edited my post. However, the fact that he refuses to go to court makes me guess that he is guilty. Just a guess of course.

And I don't think I should take a milder tone. I'm of the opinion that if you are accussed of a crime you should resolve it in a court of law, not throw a gigantic hissy fit and try and create a conspiricy theory that suggests the US is out to get you when all the evidence says that they aren't, and that in any case you would be safer in sweden than the UK if they wanted to extridite you.

As I've said I think wikileaks is a fine thing. I don't think you should be able to use celebrity or status to escape justice.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
I will probably be parroting what people have already said but.

1) Jullian Assange released diplomatic info that was deeply embarrasing to the US. More specifically footage of American soldiers gunning down cameramen who they thought had RPG's (Because camera stands and RPG's look really alike) (Also the person who gave this info to wikileaks is now in prison for 20 years or something while everyone involved in the incident got off scot free). However he did jeopardise operations (Which are illegal due to war crimes and a war that was set up on a false premise in order to put pressure on Iran. If this isn't the case why haven't we gone into Syria yet like we did with Libya)

2) the rape claims for Jullian Assange if memory serves is on some obscure nuance about condoms and their usage that constitutues more as sexual assault I think. However regardless the case was settled back in the 90's I think and even now only 1 of the 2 girls originally involved have actually stepped forward.

3) Jullian Assange took refuge in England because it is legally impossible to extradite him from here to the US (where he will be tried with treason most likely and executed) due to the European Human Rights act which Sweden is not apart of (The right to life more specifically) and so they are trying to extradite him to Sweden first.

The worst bit of all is the fact that America are going to try him for treason as stated before and I don't understand how this is possible since treason is usually an act committed by ones own citizen under an NDA (Which is what that guy who originally leaked this story broke) but Jullian Assange has signed no agreement and will most likely get executed for a crime he never committed.

This is just another example of America trying to control the world (And failing epically at it) because they can't seem to understand that they are no longer in a Cold war. For more examples of being failures at being the world police look at any major war in the past 80 years and who is either responsible or giving considerable funding to one of the sides or the more recent Kim Dotcomm fiasco and over the top raid on his house which had CIA agents there.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
Also the fact that is often said that people should face crimes that they have committed while being true is also very narrowminded and naive since yes he will go to sweden and the case will be done and dimissed most likely and then he will "Disappear" into the nothingness and turn up in america and end up on death row.

Madgamer13

Sep 20, 2010
Greets!

Another long thread, this is my thoughts on the subject of Julian Assange. I really do not care about his personality, but he should be careful when playing with governments as he does. Sweden and the USA's political and judicial systems would look tame in comparison to some true political ass-hats that seek to make themselves look like 'democratic' followers of 'freedom'

Psh, wikileaks no longer matters in this case, Julian no longer matters in this case, all that matters now is who has this little gem of a desperate political tool and like any other tool, Julian can be used. He best hope that he is not disposed of after.

That is assuming that he doesn't face extreme sentences for whatever crimes he has commited, or have had imagined for him.

Personally, I would like to see him in the hands of Sweden, just to see what happens to him. That may seem heartless of me, but these problems he faces now will not go away for him. At least the rest of us through the world will be able to see where Sweden's judicial system takes him and if he ends up on U.S soil, how he will be treated. Then we can get a really good idea just how humane the systems are.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Almost entirely disagree.

I believe that question of sexual assault to be dubious, as has been pointed out by the flaws in the maids accounts. It has been awhile however, since I have heard this confirmed by a reliable source, as it seems to have bee swept under the carpet.

There is even a debate as to whether what it was he did can be deemed sexual assault or merely the woman being pedantic over consent. This is a paraphrase and in no way reflects my opinion of sexual assault and rape; it is merely a discussion I am aware is being had, in some areas.

I wholeheartedly believe that should be be extrodited to Sweden, he will be on the first unmarked plane to the US where he will never be heard form again.

But thats what you get from knocking the worlds biggest collective Ego down a few pegs.

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
Me55enger said:
Almost entirely disagree.

I believe that question of sexual assault to be dubious, as has been pointed out by the flaws in the maids accounts. It has been awhile however, since I have heard this confirmed by a reliable source, as it seems to have bee swept under the carpet.

There is even a debate as to whether what it was he did can be deemed sexual assault or merely the woman being pedantic over consent. This is a paraphrase and in no way reflects my opinion of sexual assault and rape; it is merely a discussion I am aware is being had, in some areas.

I wholeheartedly believe that should be be extrodited to Sweden, he will be on the first unmarked plane to the US where he will never be heard form again.

But thats what you get from knocking the worlds biggest collective Ego down a few pegs.
Please give me a source suggesting the sexual assualt is dubious. I don't think you saying it's been swept under the carpet is a valid argument.

If there's debate about it being sexual assault it can be had in court. (by the way, english lawyers agree that what he's accussed of would be considered rape in the UK.)

Finally, he is in no more danger of being taken to the US from england as he is from Sweden. In fact, he is MORE safe in Sweden. Added to that, there's no reason to think the US would take him, especially with the massive amount of media attention he'll likely receive.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
ArnRand said:
NoneOfYourBusiness said:
Why? Dude is accused (and refuses to go to court) of rape. Disliking him seems like the sensible option to me.
I think it counts as rape in Sweden if you have sex without protection and without informing the other partner that you are not using protection, which i think might have happened, also the case was dropped and was all around done, just seems a bit too suspicious for that to come back now, I think he refuses to go to court because it is obvious England will send him to US, and you know the legal system there will all around find some way to put him in quantamo bay...

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
I support Assange, Just watching that footage from the Apache helicopters made me sick, and the fact that there is a group out there that has published that information is great.
He worked with traditional media, and had to live on the road for a long time to avoid any dangers, the idea that those 'military secrets' were secret for a reason is bullshit, Having read a great deal of the papers leaked I can only conclude that most people, including it appears the majority of people posting in this thread, believe that the world is exceedingly black and white.

Some of your comments are actually pretty disgusting, as a citizen of the UK I can understand that we are the bad guys, for most of the world we are the enemies, open your eyes and realise that the more we know about the bullshit that our governments feed us, the better we can defend against that bullshit.

The coincidental nature of the allegations against Assange, the timing of them, the actual actions that he took, and the actions of the accusers, makes me think that the accusations are unjust. He had consensual sex with 2 women, neither time did he use a condom, they only made accusations after finding out about each other. It seems obvious to me that they are really pissed about him sleeping with someone else, not him sleeping with them.

Sweden has a history of quick extraditions to the US, just because no request has been made, does not mean that there isn't an agreement. I personally believe that the original plan was to extradite him from sweden to the US, due to the publicity surrounding that case I believe that that plan has been dropped. Although looking at the manner in which bradley manning has been treated should give some indication to how Assange can be expected to be treated.

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
NoneOfYourBusiness said:
ArnRand said:
NoneOfYourBusiness said:
I think it counts as rape in Sweden if you have sex without protection and without informing the other partner that you are not using protection, which i think might have happened, also the case was dropped and was all around done, just seems a bit too suspicious for that to come back now, I think he refuses to go to court because it is obvious England will send him to US, and you know the legal system there will all around find some way to put him in quantamo bay...
It counts as rape in Sweden if you rape someone. 'One: ?The allegation of rape would not be rape under English law?

This is flatly untrue. The Assange legal team argued this twice before English courts, and twice the English courts ruled clearly that the allegation would also constitute rape under English law.'

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/08/legal-myths-about-assange-extradition

The case was dropped, but was picked up again in september 2010, before any of the wikileaks scandals, by a neural swedish prosecutor.

It is NOT obvious the UK will send him to the US, they've actually been keeping Assange here on bail for months, and the US hasn't said anything. 'Assange has been afforded more opportunities to challenge the warrant for his arrest than almost any other defendant in English legal history.'

This idea that the US is out to get Assange is invented entirely by him so he can get the support of people like you, and so he won't have to face up to whatever he did or didn't do to those swedish women.

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
Airsoftslayer93 said:
I support Assange, Just watching that footage from the Apache helicopters made me sick, and the fact that there is a group out there that has published that information is great.
He worked with traditional media, and had to live on the road for a long time to avoid any dangers, the idea that those 'military secrets' were secret for a reason is bullshit, Having read a great deal of the papers leaked I can only conclude that most people, including it appears the majority of people posting in this thread, believe that the world is exceedingly black and white.

Some of your comments are actually pretty disgusting, as a citizen of the UK I can understand that we are the bad guys, for most of the world we are the enemies, open your eyes and realise that the more we know about the bullshit that our governments feed us, the better we can defend against that bullshit.

The coincidental nature of the allegations against Assange, the timing of them, the actual actions that he took, and the actions of the accusers, makes me think that the accusations are unjust. He had consensual sex with 2 women, neither time did he use a condom, they only made accusations after finding out about each other. It seems obvious to me that they are really pissed about him sleeping with someone else, not him sleeping with them.

Sweden has a history of quick extraditions to the US, just because no request has been made, does not mean that there isn't an agreement. I personally believe that the original plan was to extradite him from sweden to the US, due to the publicity surrounding that case I believe that that plan has been dropped. Although looking at the manner in which bradley manning has been treated should give some indication to how Assange can be expected to be treated.
Can I get a source on the thing about condoms? And which of my comments are disgusting? I said he was a prick, I guess that's a pretty terrible insult or something where you come from?

This isn't about the bullshit our governments feed us, or about conspiricy theories and paranoia about the UK being the 'bad guys' to the world (Protip, we're not. A lot of countries see the UK as a santuary. You'll find plenty of immigrants stuck in a holding bay in Italy or somewhere saying they're desperate to get to the UK.) It's about a man fleeing rape charges. And by the way, there's nothing special about Swedish rape laws. 'One: ?The allegation of rape would not be rape under English law?

This is flatly untrue. The Assange legal team argued this twice before English courts, and twice the English courts ruled clearly that the allegation would also constitute rape under English law.'

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/08/legal-myths-about-assange-extradition

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Dandark said:
hope they do manage to get him out of the embassy
By breaking the law we are just as arrogant as he is.

Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I also massively disagreed with Wikileaks... I don't care if it was corperate stuff, but government stuff is kept out of the public eye for a reason...
I recognize that the information he leaked put innocent people in danger, but I trust governments just like I trust corporations - I don't.

Plus, "competitive intelligence" is just a legal form of industrial espionage. It wouldn't be illegal in the first place.

ArnRand said:
This isn't about the bullshit our governments feed us, or about conspiricy theories and paranoia about the UK being the 'bad guys' to the world (Protip, we're not. A lot of countries see the UK as a santuary. You'll find plenty of immigrants stuck in a holding bay in Italy or somewhere saying they're desperate to get to the UK.)
As a fellow "bad guy" of the world, I must tell you it's okay to admit that you're the bad guy.

Also, the notion that lots of people like the UK is as inane as the American logic that most people hate them.

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
ElPatron said:
Dandark said:
hope they do manage to get him out of the embassy
By breaking the law we are just as arrogant as he is.

Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I also massively disagreed with Wikileaks... I don't care if it was corperate stuff, but government stuff is kept out of the public eye for a reason...
I recognize that the information he leaked put innocent people in danger, but I trust governments just like I trust corporations - I don't.

Plus, "competitive intelligence" is just a legal form of industrial espionage. It wouldn't be illegal in the first place.

ArnRand said:
This isn't about the bullshit our governments feed us, or about conspiricy theories and paranoia about the UK being the 'bad guys' to the world (Protip, we're not. A lot of countries see the UK as a santuary. You'll find plenty of immigrants stuck in a holding bay in Italy or somewhere saying they're desperate to get to the UK.)
As a fellow "bad guy" of the world, I must tell you it's okay to admit that you're the bad guy.

Also, the notion that lots of people like the UK is as inane as the American logic that most people hate them.
What's wrong with the UK? I didn't personally invade iraq or whatever. In fact a lot of people hated that move, it's still regarded as a terrible decision, especially by the left. Maybe a lot of people don't exactly like the UK, but I don't think it's hated, and if it is, it shouldn't be. As Mcnulty would say: What the fuck did I do?

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
This should be in the Religion and Politics forum.

To those reading this comment, you do realise that your government does not care about you and will do everything it can to keep its power?

OT: It saddens me to see people actually falling the propaganda character assassination that is being done to Julian Assange. I thought we thinking people would not fall for this trick...

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Have none of you idiots ever heard of the American "extraordinary rendition" programs? Face the fact that the US does not obey international law. Go read this before any of you say anything else.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_rendition

See that? That's exactly what Assange is afraid of, and rightly so. Sweden explicitly cooperated with this program on multiple occasions, allowing the United States to send two men seeking asylum in Sweden back to their home country of Egypt, where they were reportedly beaten and tortured. This isn't conspiracy theory any more, this happened. Even if Sweden did guarantee Assange he wouldn't be extradited to the US, it's not at all a stretch of logic to say that they might allow the CIA to abduct him.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
ArnRand said:
Then your left is a bunch of whiners. I don't like them.

But come on... we can't be all good guys. If you look at any country's history, no country is actually the "good guy".

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
Moth_Monk said:
This should be in the Religion and Politics forum.

To those reading this comment, you do realise that your government does not care about you and will do everything it can to keep its power?

OT: It saddens me to see people actually falling the propaganda character assassination that is being done to Julian Assange. I thought we thinking people would not fall for this trick...
So it's propaganda, the rape allegation? And before you say that Swedish rape laws are crazy, Assange has been told that what's he's accused of is rape in the UK too. Also, my government does care about me, because I'M the one who gets to decide if it keeps it's power. That's how a democracy works. And guess what, doing anything I feel is unjust to Assange would make me not want to vote for them. But they haven't, all they've done is said that he should defend againsht the rape claims in a Swedish court, which makes a whole lot of sense to me.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
I don't like him, but the whole charges on him strike me as being purposefully orchestrated.

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
ElPatron said:
ArnRand said:
Then your left is a bunch of whiners. I don't like them.

But come on... we can't be all good guys. If you look at any country's history, no country is actually the "good guy".
Actually, you mentioning history made me remeber that whole imperialism and genocide thing.

Yeah...point taken.