Just played the first minute of Bioshock

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
dt61 said:
So a few weeks ago I asked a thread in which if Bioshock is worth a purchase and asked if it was actually scary. Well most said it wasn't bad and so I popped it in today and stopped after one minute. After the plane crash and you enter the building it was so dark and I'm afraid of the dark, so that didn't help. Also I quit after you start the machine that takes you to Rapture. So I think I figured out I'm the biggest wuss in the world. I'm selling it back on Ebay right away. Ever have a similar experience?]
Play with the lights on, you're seemingly not too worried about appearing afraid so ask someone to sit with you while you play.
The game's going to get to you a few times. But it's entirely worth it.
The best thing about the game is that it doesn't seem like it's trying too hard to be scary, and all the 'scary bits' work to help characterise the city and its inhabitants.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
martin said:
dt61 said:
So a few weeks ago I asked a thread in which if Bioshock is worth a purchase and asked if it was actually scary. Well most said it wasn't bad and so I popped it in today and stopped after one minute. After the plane crash and you enter the building it was so dark and I'm afraid of the dark, so that didn't help. Also I quit after you start the machine that takes you to Rapture. So I think I figured out I'm the biggest wuss in the world. I'm selling it back on Ebay right away. Ever have a similar experience?]
Play with the lights on, you're seemingly not too worried about appearing afraid so ask someone to sit with you while you play.
The game's going to get to you a few times. But it's entirely worth it.
The best thing about the game is that it doesn't seem like it's trying too hard to be scary, and all the 'scary bits' work to help characterise the city and its inhabitants.
SuperMse said:
That's the scariest part. One you push yourself through the tutorial, you'll be fine.
Pfft, this guy hasn't been in much waist high water where doctors like to play.

EDIT: Crap, this was supposed to be an edit of my original post but I messed it up.

Sorry.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I actually don't find fiction scary. When someone points a gun at my chest, then I'll be scared.

Unless of course I'm quite drunk or really, really stoned. Case in point: last Halloween I had an issue walking past a freaking cornfield at night because of a certain Left4Dead moment...

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Oh wow buddy, sorry that it scared you. GROW SOME FUCKING BALLS YOU LITTLE *****! No just kidding :D I love horror games and some movies but you can not get me to go into a haunted house. I just hate them.

On a side note, that movie trailer looks awful. And I love how it said 1 in 4 gamers are addicted :/

MikeOfThunder

Jul 11, 2009
dt61 said:
Also I quit after you start the machine that takes you to Rapture.
No!! Have faith my friend, I too am not a fan of horror games... however i found Bioshock to be incredible! I got the game without knowing it was the sort that will make you jump - i would have quit however i became hooked on the story. All i did was crank it to easy setting and powered through, brilliantly fun even on easy! Story is worth it by far!

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
Me and horror games have a love/hate relationship, I hate getting scared but love beating whatever scared me if that makes sense... Usually brings out at lot of BRING IT OWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN moments.
He, he... I'm with you here. Oh, the times when I played the Fatal Frame/Silent Hill games and my latest mindfuck Amnesia...

I figured the only way to get the psychological impact they had on me by facing my fear and play through all the way.

Jumpscares or ridiculouly twisted monsters don't freak me out, but if you find your way into my mind I'm helpless.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Don't give up on BioShock that quickly! You should go back and play it in my opinion.

Now that movie you showed looks intersting ^_^

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I can never understand the concept of horror as entertainment.

PS: Damn, man. It's not even that scary after scene.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
In that case, your gonna love the half flooded dark room with mannequins. :p

er, yeah don't sell. it gets less scary as you go, with the one exception I mentioned.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
Play Amenesia: The Dark Descent

Actually, play Amnesia and tape yourself doing it, then put it on youtube.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I remember that thread. And I remember telling you that it freaked the hell out of me and I quit ( not long after the first boss after stumbling into a room where you walk down a flooded hallway where a shadow of a man appears to be hacking away at a body. Then the lights go out and some freaky music plays and I turn off the console, change my pants, and sell the game back). Soooo....

Told you so!

I found the game to be deeply disturbing. The tortured sounding voices from just around the corner. The mutilation. The pop-out atcha scares. It was mostly just the normal people, though. Their depravity and loss of humanity gave me so much anxiety...

Just remember, a lot of people around here are used to these sort of games.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
Lem0nade Inlay said:
Play Amenesia: The Dark Descent

Actually, play Amnesia and tape yourself doing it, then put it on youtube.
I would end up being auto-tuned and be a huge ringtone/youtube success.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
dt61 said:
I can understand liking horror movies, but I just hate forcing myself to be scared because I don't like it.
Dude i'm with you there. Horror games interest me so much because of what they achieve with the atmosphere but i really don't like horror movies or being scared. I played the first minute of bioshock and it scared the hell out of me. I was wondering why no one else thought it was scary.

YouCallMeNighthawk

Mar 8, 2010
dt61 said:
Don't worry you're not alone on the bioshock thing, i'm not afraid of the dark but it still scared the living crap out of me.

ON another note that film looks awesome, but i imagine it's going to be one of those films that scares you by playing sudden loud noise .... they always get me :/

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Horror games generally don't do it for me. There's probably some great psychological horror out there, but most horror to me is either tedious (resource management) or cheap scares (enemies jump out and say boo!). I know only having a three rounds in your gun is supposed to be scary, but it just annoys me.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
I've become pretty desensitized to scary games. (Minus the Dead Space corridor snake and the entirety of Amnesia of course). Even with those I got through them easy enough.

When I was younger though....god.

Doom II gave me the willies and I could never finish it. Half Life 1 took me years to finally get through (Those goddamn ninjas provoked a year long hiatus).
And then came "They Hunger 1-3" mods for HL. Hands down the most freaked out I've been during a video game. I was 11 alright...mental scars man.

I found bioshock to be sufficiently intense...though after about an hour you come to expect when a splicer is about to face fuck you when you turn around. The Houdinis were just no-clip cheaters though and they can go DIAF (Which they did...mmm napalm)

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
That opening sequence is the high point of the game. About five minutes later, they give you guns and the ability to throw fireballs, and start tossing hordes of (for all intents and purposes) zombies at you, as you trek back and forth collecting macguffins. Then it just becomes another one of those, periodically broken up by you watching some cool plot stuff happen to some other characters from behind glass or across balconies...before going off to shoot more zombies and gather more macguffins.

The object of the game is to gather enough macguffins to trade Andrew Ryan for a 9-iron. Then you win.

Jerious1154

Aug 18, 2008
I found Bioshock creepy, but not really scary until I got about 3/4 of the way through it (right after the big twist). At that point, I got a cumulative attack of the willies and I just could not play it anymore. I haven't been able to force myself to pick it up since. Something about the setting just wore me down.

Capcom4ever

Jun 24, 2010
I only ever play Condemned, Dead Space, and F.E.A.R. between the hour of 10 pm and 3 am with no lights. I'm still waiting to be scared.