Justified's Nick Searcy Goes Rage-Nuts On Twitter

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Robot Number V said:
Wait...The main thing I'm taking away from this is that the guy who played Jayne on Firefly is homophobic.

I mean...that kinda sucks.
GarouxBloodline said:
At this point, there is nothing else to do short of acting like a victim. And at least he gets brownie points for avoiding that option.
Or he could, you know, get off of Twitter.
That falls under the same category as watching everyone work themselves into a tizzy. Unless you are new to the Internet, you already know this. ;)

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
wombat_of_war said:
Robot Number V said:
Wait...The main thing I'm taking away from this is that the guy who played Jayne on Firefly is homophobic.

GarouxBloodline said:
At this point, there is nothing else to do short of acting like a victim. And at least he gets brownie points for avoiding that option.
i know what you mean. guess ill be skipping anything he does or is involved in from now on
Because that is not being sanctimonious at all. :p

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Well, that settles it. Guess I'm buying Justified on DVD. Amazon here I come, because despite The Escapist being my favorite gaming site (for the time being), it's not every day that people are willing to stand up for their friends, right or wrong, and will not back down. But I think we all know that Searcy will be fired because if there's one thing that gets you blacklisted in Hollywood (using it as a catchall for TV, music, etc.), it's having an anti-gay marriage stance or defending someone who does.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
I get why people are mad at what he said, but what I don't understand is why people think the management over at Justified should do anything about it. He was on his own time, his own twitter account, and didn't name drop the show...

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Sarge034 said:
I get why people are mad at what he said, but what I don't understand is why people think the management over at Justified should do anything about it. He was on his own time, his own twitter account, and didn't name drop the show...
Because people are typically egocentic busy-bodies on the Internet. Nothing new there, unfortunately.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
Well, that settles it. Guess I'm buying Justified on DVD. Amazon here I come, because despite The Escapist being my favorite gaming site (for the time being), it's not every day that people are willing to stand up for their friends, right or wrong, and will not back down. But I think we all know that Searcy will be fired because if there's one thing that gets you blacklisted in Hollywood (using it as a catchall for TV, music, etc.), it's having an anti-gay marriage stance or defending someone who does.
Im all for standing by your mates, but "right or wrong" is a bit silly.

Yeah, don't turn on them when they are under fire, but don't stand by their side no matter what. If a friend is being a tool, isn't it better to help them realize that then provide them with an echo chamber?

CJ Schappert

Mar 27, 2012
Before this gets all out of hand I'd like to link a tweet Mr.Searcy at the start of this all and one I just got from him.
@yesnicksearcy Feb 20
You come to Twitter for interesting arguments? I come here to make jokes and insult fat asses. @SChristianson @MatthewWaite @AdamBaldwin
and this one he just posted in response to questions I asked him about how this all started
@yesnicksearcy 4m
It happened because libs think it's OK to call me racist/KKK/teabagger all day long, but whine &scream when I call them fat. @CrazyCJ123456

It's trolling, pure HIGH level trolling, even the Adam Baldwin tweets that started it,were jokes (I think) after he tweeted
@AdamBaldwin Feb 20
THIS! --> "Gay marriage should lead to child-parent marriage." - http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/198860-mcconnell-primary-challenger-same-sex-marriage-could-lead-to ~ #PolymorphousPerversity

(Sorry I didn't link to the tweets and expanded the twitter shortening in the Baldwin tweet, Idon;t do stuff likethis much and admit to being a complete noob, but when i did digging into how this started I saw how this all (may be) a large misunderstanding. I also admit this really only clarifies what Searcy is doing and Baldwin may actually think what he said about gay marriage redefining what marriage can mean, but someone else can ask him that.)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I can't help but feel that everyone involved in this argument is a completely stupid. If you didn't want that moron taking pot shots at you like he was... why would you Tweet something that would alert him to your stance? And then act like he is the criminal when you did something you knew would provoke him. I used to work with behaviorally disturbed kids and we had one common rule of interaction with them: You are not allowed to do something that would knowing provoke one of the kids. Sure, they'll get in trouble, but you got in trouble as well, as you should. You drew fire from a moron because you were acting like idiots. When someone is shooting, you don't run out in front of the gun and then act surprised when you get shot. Jesus... it's like dealing with 6 year olds.

No one is saying that what he did or what he is defending is right. But where are your senses of self preservation. Believe it or not, you aren't changing the world by saying you won't watch a show he's in. You always have to choose your fights and chose poorly.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
GarouxBloodline said:
Robot Number V said:

GarouxBloodline said:
That falls under the same category as watching everyone work themselves into a tizzy. Unless you are new to the Internet, you already know this. ;)
Well, that definitely isn't true. If he's not there, he's not watching anything. Sure, people will still be fighting on Twitter, but separating himself from it would still be miles better than actively contributing to it, especially in such a childishly aggressive manner.

OR he could, you know, make the slightest attempt at acting like a grown-ass adult. I'm sure people are being equally horrible to him, but he could just ignore those people and only respond to the civil people, in an equally civilized manner.

Right now, he's just lashing out at everyone with childish nonsense. Are you really going to try to say that this is best possible option?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Ahyes... Twitter... aka the career graveyard.

I mean cmon... how many more people will sacrifice their careers on the twitter altair because they think no one cares what they say online?

Newsflash: Doing this on twitter is the same as saying this crap at a live interview on TV... alot more people will have watched it then you think and it is recorded and will be reported about.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Reed Spacer said:
Is it just me, or is Twitter equating with insanity recently?
The great/horrible thing about Twitter is that it presents no barriers to someone being stupid before an audience of unprecedented size. And I'll admit, I'm entirely in favor of that. The more (metaphorical) rope we give to idiots to hang themselves, the better.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
I'm as offended by the homophobia as I am by the laziness of the insults. He really pulls the "ur fat" card too often. I mean at least get creative with it. Invent new insults if you're going to go on a tirade. The insults are 98.3% of the reason I watch Zero Punctuation. The other 1.7% is the swears (of which the insults comprise an additional 1.2% share of the swears).

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
lacktheknack said:
The fact that some people are saying worse things doesn't excuse him for insulting people left right and center.
But why is no one talking about them? Why are they excused?

This guy is grade A hilarious. I'm guessing he's trying to bring out the hypocrisy in people. I can't believe how many people he rustled with such elementary name-calling.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Baresark said:
I can't help but feel that everyone involved in this argument is a completely stupid. If you didn't want that moron taking pot shots at you like he was... why would you Tweet something that would alert him to your stance? And then act like he is the criminal when you did something you knew would provoke him. I used to work with behaviorally disturbed kids and we had one common rule of interaction with them: You are not allowed to do something that would knowing provoke one of the kids. Sure, they'll get in trouble, but you got in trouble as well, as you should. You drew fire from a moron because you were acting like idiots. When someone is shooting, you don't run out in front of the gun and then act surprised when you get shot. Jesus... it's like dealing with 6 year olds.

No one is saying that what he did or what he is defending is right. But where are your senses of self preservation. Believe it or not, you aren't changing the world by saying you won't watch a show he's in. You always have to choose your fights and chose poorly.
Except this guy isn't mentally handicapped or disturbed, he should know better. Is it so weird to call someone out on their bullshit behavior?
Also, bad publicity is still publicity. I'd never heard of Searcy or Justified before this... now they're more famous.

And... was Baldwin being sincere about the whole SSM leads to in-family tax-evasion mariage thing or am I missing some subtext due to my non-native-speakerness?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
saltyanon said:
lacktheknack said:
The fact that some people are saying worse things doesn't excuse him for insulting people left right and center.
But why is no one talking about them? Why are they excused?

This guy is grade A hilarious. I'm guessing he's trying to bring out the hypocrisy in people. I can't believe how many people he rustled with such elementary name-calling.
Everyone jumped him because he backed up a dude comparing homosexuality to incest, which is bizarre and most would agree it's insulting.

Anyways, the others are not excused. If any of the jerks start crowing about their actions afterwards, they deserve a legendary shoot-down. But currently, the worst offender is Searcy, who is attacking people who aren't even being particularly mean, and sometimes even trying to gently coax him out of his current state. Ergo, he's the main target from all sides.

strumbore

Mar 1, 2013
That poor, poor kid has to hear about being roped-into a flame-war by his father tomorrow from everyone at school.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
And now I wish I watched his show just so I could stop. Sadly, I don't think its target audience is going to care much.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
I despise "enlightened" modern gaming "journalists" so strongly that I can't even root against a homophobic asshole. Guess I'll just hope for an extinction-level event.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Robot Number V said:
Not only that but he is (or was, I'm not a fan of that site) a regular contributor to famous bullshit outlet Breitbart.com.

I wish I had known that before buying the Firefly boxset.