Justified's Nick Searcy Goes Rage-Nuts On Twitter

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Meh, nobody much cares I don't think. In general the liberal left tends to greatly overestimate it's numbers, and how mainstream it's opinions are. Sticking up for someone making anti-gay comments on twitter (Baldwin) and engaging in some "body shaming" insults aren't going to ruin a career, things didn't end well when the alleged majority turned out to actually not be that much of a majority and get "Duck Dynasty" pulled and the family head knocked off the air. Especially in light of that it's not likely anyone is going to try and ax or blacklist Nick Searcy, or Adam Baldwin
for that matter, indeed I'm guessing your probably going to see a lot more not-so-liberal comments by celebrities as time goes on.

Plus let's be honest here, it's kind of funny. The whole "fat" thing is something you see in Junior high school (as someone pointed it) it has to be done just right to work in the "adult" world and general confrontation, and he actually pulled it off. It was actually hilarious for someone to try and bring up "body shaming insults here" that's like going after a comedian who still works some "Yomomma's so fat" jokes into his routine, especially if they can actually make them work.

To be honest while this could have backfired on Mr. Searcy, if anything I think it's going to be fairly positive, largely because of what he wound up stomping these guys with, more than his message. :)

... and let's be honest here, the guy is a character actor in a show about Hillbilly law enforcement (seriously), and who is generally going to be later employed playing a very similar character which works well in other shows as well. We're not talking about a guy whose image relies on being a clean cut liberal.

The central premise of the show focuses on a Federal Marshal and his friendship with a rather talented backwoods criminal who has some genuine desire to reform but keeps getting drawn back in, and who started the show literally running a militant group of racists. Let's just say that the backwoods freak show just gets worse from there, and half the point is how all these guys are social with each other, although it typically ends with the main character (Marshal Raylan) shooting people, with the recurring series gag being that he has enough "justified" kills on his belt that it drives the Marshal service nuts. While it has it's moments, we're not talking a show that is intended to be either very politically correct, or teach any kind of lesson moral or otherwise (except maybe that you want to REALLY, REALLY avoid back country Kentucky). Pretty much everyone in the show, including the protagonist, is kind of a piece of work.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Someone was an asshole on the internet, news at 11.

In all honesty his insult repertoire is pretty bad. Fat insults? Is that seriously all he has? Someone really needs to give him Phil Fish's number so he can learn some proper insults.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I'm more disappointed that the hero of Canton is running around spitting out anti-homosexual comments.

C'mon Jayne, we know basically being the complete, self serving asshole was kinda your shtick, but if you don't stop, the Captain's gonna threaten to chuck you out the airlock again.

As for this guy, well, I haven't seen justified before, but this guy seems like a complete asshole, and what's more, he's not aware that this will affect his career. I'm a little on the fence about whether it actually should, I've always been of the belief that someone's personal views and their work should remain unconnected unless they actually connect it themselves, in their writing or drawing or whatever they do, but nevertheless, it WILL have an effect.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I have never heard of this actor before and have never hard of the show Justified until now. Seeing as how Nick Searcy acts like a complete child and how I don't watch that much TV I won't have to try that hard to not watch anything he is in.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Oh my, he's acting like a chunk of Escapist members rolled into one person.
He pulled it out of his arse that Susan called him racist and mentioned his son...
I've never even heard of the guy so I don't know how normal this is, but it seems like he has been hacked or is even drunk.

He could at least come up with some more original insults!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Eh, it's hardly the most insulting thing I've seen said on Twitter, but it means that he's made it easy for me to decide not to watch the show.

I mean, I'm fat so he probably wouldn't want me watching it anyway! =P

vipLink

May 28, 2011
CJ Schappert said:
Before this gets all out of hand I'd like to link a tweet Mr.Searcy at the start of this all and one I just got from him.
@yesnicksearcy Feb 20
You come to Twitter for interesting arguments? I come here to make jokes and insult fat asses. @SChristianson @MatthewWaite @AdamBaldwin
and this one he just posted in response to questions I asked him about how this all started
@yesnicksearcy 4m
It happened because libs think it's OK to call me racist/KKK/teabagger all day long, but whine &scream when I call them fat. @CrazyCJ123456

It's trolling, pure HIGH level trolling, even the Adam Baldwin tweets that started it,were jokes (I think) after he tweeted
@AdamBaldwin Feb 20
THIS! --> "Gay marriage should lead to child-parent marriage." - http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/198860-mcconnell-primary-challenger-same-sex-marriage-could-lead-to ~ #PolymorphousPerversity

(Sorry I didn't link to the tweets and expanded the twitter shortening in the Baldwin tweet, Idon;t do stuff likethis much and admit to being a complete noob, but when i did digging into how this started I saw how this all (may be) a large misunderstanding. I also admit this really only clarifies what Searcy is doing and Baldwin may actually think what he said about gay marriage redefining what marriage can mean, but someone else can ask him that.)
Ahhh... This is why I hate Twitter, things just explode because of nothing! Thanks for your update, mate! Your version of events just makes so much more sense.
I also just don't get why people think that someone should be fired for having an opinion. It's their freetime and they can have whatever grossly redonkulous opinion they want. Sure I hate that people think that way, but why should I want to destroy their livelihood and everything they've worked for...
The Escapist is great and everything, but I think emotions might of unnecessarily escalated something that should have died as a joke at a right wing politician. This News Post seems just as unnecessary as the whole Twitter Rage.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
What I dont get is why game jornos (and probably other jornos) had to go there all passive agressive on his crap, arent they supposed to simply report what happened instead of throwing stones?

I dont see tv reporters going up to someone famous that recently did something wrong and say passive agressive things to him while filming to get a reaction.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
josemlopes said:
What I dont get is why game jornos (and probably other jornos) had to go there all passive agressive on his crap, arent they supposed to simply report what happened instead of throwing stones?

I dont see tv reporters going up to someone famous that recently did something wrong and say passive agressive things to him while filming to get a reaction.
Because these game "journos" are really just personalities and brands trying to make a living and increase their viewership. Let's not pretend that these guys are Murrow or Cronkite.

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
The amount of people defending this guy for being an asshole is absolutely shocking.

"He stood up for his friend. That is admirable." When my friends say dumb, inflammatory, insulting shit, I let them take the heat because they asked for it. You don't get to compare a homosexual relationship to incest and expect nobody is going to say anything about belittling the struggle nationwide we are having about people just trying to get their self-identities and relationships justified.

"He is a masterful troll. His skill is art." This one gets me. Since when the fuck is trolling meant to be admirable? You do it for your immediate, immature hyucks (which we've all done to some point or another), but in the end you're still a douchebag. It is not something that elevates you to reverent levels of wittiness, and it does not make you an all-knowing meta-humorist like some here think it does. Strategy does not excuse bad behavior.

Can we look at this for a second? The guy just seems opinionated as fuck with some antiquated ideals, and he's backing it up with schoolyard insults and stubbornness. It's not creative. It's not clever. And it's not something that should be condoned, much less praised. Did I miss the meeting where we started thinking that shitty people being shitty was supposed to be endearing? I'm fucking speechless.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
What Canti just said.

If people want to be assholes then the response shouldn't be to come in and try to "correct" them or patronise them. Ignore, report if available, and move on. Anyone who gets overly insulted by this is just trying too hard to find a cause, one guy making an ass of himself and a pile of self-interested twits trying to "spread the word" or "show that asshole who is right" isn't going to be the stage on which world or even personal views change.

Antsh

May 15, 2012
No clue who Nick Searcy is... but I've lost all respect for Adam Baldwin. Damn it, Jayne.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
lord canti said:
Why exactly are we taking this so seriously? more importantly why is this even new?
In short because he happened to cross swords with members of the escapists editorial crew.

OT: Well troll or actual rage if his goal as to draw attention from Baldwin he seems to be somewhat succeeding.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
On closer inspection, he is DEFINITELY taking the piss. Seems like the only people going "rage-nuts" are the ones getting all worked up about this nonsense.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Meh, still don't know who this guy is and I don't know why I should care about his opinion.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Reed Spacer said:
Yes, but was it justifiable?

Yes, I went there.

Is it just me, or is Twitter equating with insanity recently?
It always was insanity. The problem is that insanity can be fun sometimes, so we carry on without a second thought about it.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Jadak said:
Reed Spacer said:
Yes, but was it justifiable?

Yes, I went there.

Is it just me, or is Twitter equating with insanity recently?
Anyone defending Adam Baldwin is always justified.
But when Adam Baldwin is using an rather stupid slippery slope fallacy it gets a little murky.
I've seen an article where he seemed to think having non Americans to root for in a film or tv show was somehow appalling and disgusting. I mean god, I love Jyane, and hes the reason I picked Dutch over Dare as my online avatar in ODST... but yeah, Adams just a teensy bit nucking futs on certain issues.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Floppertje said:
Baresark said:
I can't help but feel that everyone involved in this argument is completely stupid. If you didn't want that moron taking pot shots at you like he was... why would you Tweet something that would alert him to your stance? And then act like he is the criminal when you did something you knew would provoke him. I used to work with behaviorally disturbed kids and we had one common rule of interaction with them: You are not allowed to do something that would knowing provoke one of the kids. Sure, they'll get in trouble, but you got in trouble as well, as you should. You drew fire from a moron because you were acting like idiots. When someone is shooting, you don't run out in front of the gun and then act surprised when you get shot. Jesus... it's like dealing with 6 year olds.

No one is saying that what he did or what he is defending is right. But where are your senses of self preservation. Believe it or not, you aren't changing the world by saying you won't watch a show he's in. You always have to choose your fights and chose poorly.
Except this guy isn't mentally handicapped or disturbed, he should know better. Is it so weird to call someone out on their bullshit behavior?
Also, bad publicity is still publicity. I'd never heard of Searcy or Justified before this... now they're more famous.

And... was Baldwin being sincere about the whole SSM leads to in-family tax-evasion mariage thing or am I missing some subtext due to my non-native-speakerness?
It is wrong to call someone's bullshit on a forum that everyone can see, and then act like you are surprised and hurt when they turn their loud mouth on you. The best way to deal with people like that moron is to ignore them, not publicly talk about them on Twitter. Or you can, you know, leave out the references to them that link your comment to there twitter page. But they didn't do that, so I almost feel like they deserve what they got and that it's disingenuous of them to write an article on the site that makes them sound like victims.

I think you have the subtext correct, actually. People who are against SSM draw some pretty gruesome and pretty inappropriate parallels with other things. One of the more common comparisons is that with beastiality. They say, "what's next, people gonna start marrying their dog". They make some pretty specious arguments regarding something that literally has no effect at all on their lives.