Justified's Nick Searcy Goes Rage-Nuts On Twitter

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Justified's Nick Searcy Goes Rage-Nuts On Twitter

Veteran character actor Nick Searcy of Justified went into a full-blown Twitter rage over the weekend, firing off a stream of anger and invective that eventually ensnared a number of high-profile game journalists.

Nick Searcy, for those unfamiliar with his work, is a character actor who has appeared in a considerable number of movies and television shows, most recently the ongoing FX series Justified, in which he portrays Deputy Marshal Art Mullen. He also has a web series on YouTube entitled Nick Searcy's Acting School. But for a lot of Twitter users, especially those who don't get FX, he will likely now be known best for his very long, very virulent blowup on Twitter.

This evening's entertainment actually began on Saturday, when Adam Baldwin, best known as Firefly's hulking Jayne Cobb, took to Twitter to equate same-sex marriage with incest. Writer Tim Peacock called him on it and the two went back and forth a bit, but the situation didn't really go off the rails until Nick Searcy leapt in to Baldwin's defense, calling Peacock "a lying tub of lard."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/yesnicksearcy/statuses/437359883831099392]

It went on like that - and on, and on - but didn't come to our attention until he rounded on Susan Arendt, late of The Escapist - you may remember her - who tweeted this afternoon that she didn't think she'd be able to continue watching Justified because of Searcy's behavior on Twitter. That led to all sorts of name-calling, fat jokes, cracks about ignorance and chest-puffery that dragged on for hours and eventually pulled a number of game journalists into its swirl, including Russ Pitts, Chris Carter, Ben Kuchera, Janelle Bonanno, Mike Thompson and even me - although I only rated being called "pathetically ignorant [https://twitter.com/yesnicksearcy/status/438118824043233280]" and a link to an old LA Times article.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/yesnicksearcy/status/438025438804193280]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/yesnicksearcy/status/438122924763914240]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/yesnicksearcy/status/438116749339144192]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/yesnicksearcy/status/438139152870027264]

It didn't take long after that for the targets of his venom to bring the matter to the attention of the JustifiedFX Twitter account [https://twitter.com/JustifiedFX], although there's so far been no response from anyone on the other end. Searcy himself appears to have no worries about possible repercussions arising from his appalling behavior, sending many of his insulting replies to that same account, indicating that he has either supreme confidence in, or utter ignorance of, the security of his position. Either way, he's very quickly and very firmly established a remarkably unpleasant reputation on Twitter, and I can't imagine that his show won't suffer a black eye for it.

Source: Peacock Panache [https://twitter.com/yesnicksearcy]

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Yes, but was it justifiable?

Yes, I went there.

Is it just me, or is Twitter equating with insanity recently?

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Reed Spacer said:

Yes, I went there.

Anyone defending Adam Baldwin is always justified.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Jadak said:
Reed Spacer said:

Yes, I went there.

Anyone defending Adam Baldwin is always justified.
But when Adam Baldwin is using an rather stupid slippery slope fallacy it gets a little murky.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Wow, his carrer died in a matter of a weekend. It took Phil Fish a year for him to quit.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
He's a charmer, all right.

I haven't heard "well, you're FAT" used as a default return in years. Like... junior high school.

I don't even know what "Jusitified" is, and I'm not really begging to learn more about it.

On a scale of 1 to FUN Creators, I give this an 8.

EDIT: Today, while reading relevant Tweets, I learned that Russ Pitts and Susan Arendt are married.

Huh.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
To be perfectly blunt, Nick Searcy's comments do not hold a candle to the other ignorant and asinine things random people are tweeting at him. He stood up for a friend and colleague, and in return, was attacked by a mob mentality that can only be found and nurtured on the Internet. Now he is simply having fun while everyone gets their panties in a twist.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
A petty Twitter argument makes headlines only because game journos got involved with two personalities known quite well for their political stances.

Still watching Justified, though. If I refused to see the work of anyone I saw was unpleasant in real life, I'd have nothing left to watch.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
At least this is the most polite Rage I've seen on the internet. It could have been worse, he could have been cursing like a sailor, abandoning twitter, abandoning his career or literally crying at his computer. The worst, it seems, is that he was calling people fat.

He was a very professional rager if such a thing can exist.

I don't think he can loose his job simply by calling random people "Fat".

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
GarouxBloodline said:
To be perfectly blunt, Nick Searcy's comments do not hold a candle to the other ignorant and asinine things random people are tweeting at him. He stood up for a friend and colleague, and in return, was attacked by a mob mentality that can only be found and nurtured on the Internet. Now he is simply having fun while everyone gets their panties in a twist.
He stood up for his colleague (when he probably should have laid low) with the words "lying tub of lard", instantly losing all high ground.

The fact that some people are saying worse things doesn't excuse him for insulting people left right and center.

Also, I doubt he's having "fun". His tweets looked more like ruffled attempts to regain the upper hand than "fun".

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I guess you could say I've been part of "social media" for quite a while, as I started having social exchanges with others on electronic BBSes about twenty-five years ago.

I'm wondering how much further we can go in accelerating the pace at which under-considered thoughts and opinions are delivered to those who are most likely to find them egregious.

Clearly, cellphone Internet access and 140 character limits are a start, but we can go further. Perhaps some sort of neural interface that immediately publishes half-formed screeds directly from the id. We could call it AutoTourette.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
lacktheknack said:
GarouxBloodline said:
He stood up for his colleague (when he probably should have laid low) with the words "lying tub of lard", instantly losing all high ground.

The fact that some people are saying worse things doesn't excuse him for insulting people left right and center.

Also, I doubt he's having "fun". His tweets looked more like ruffled attempts to regain the upper hand than "fun".
You are quoting me as if I was defending him even in the least. Ultimately, all my post meant is that in one comment, he was attacked by an Internet mob mentality, and how he is enjoying (he quite obviously is enjoying this) watching everyone get themselves up in a tizzy while he can. At this point, there is nothing else to do short of acting like a victim. And at least he gets brownie points for avoiding that option.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
This is really bizarre... Not in the least because Nick Searcy isn't exactly the slimmest fellow around.

Maybe this is all part of a really weird joke we're all not getting, that would make more sense than this bizarre mess...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh, for god's sake, Escapist. It's obviously a troll. Do actors REALLY go around calling people fat, stupid, and ugly all the time if they want ever to retain anyone's commission? My guess would be an angry Ex-Escapist giving you the run-around.

Sep 14, 2009
jeesh, I actually didn't mind the tv show, but this is pretty...bold, to say the least.

Not that I agree with it in the slightest, the guy sounds like a drunk asshat, especially personally taking on so many people, but fuck it, if something like this ruins me watching a tv show, there would be very few tv shows left for me to watch.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
GarouxBloodline said:
lacktheknack said:
GarouxBloodline said:

You are quoting me as if I was defending him even in the least. Ultimately, all my post meant is that in one comment, he was attacked by an Internet mob mentality, and how he is enjoying (he quite obviously is enjoying this) watching everyone get themselves up in a tizzy while he can. At this point, there is nothing else to do short of acting like a victim. And at least he gets brownie points for avoiding that option.
That's the way I see it too. He's obviously got to everyone involved in this discussion.

While I'm not condoning internet trolling or childish slurs, everyone looks infantile here.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Wait...The main thing I'm taking away from this is that the guy who played Jayne on Firefly is homophobic.

I mean...that kinda sucks.
GarouxBloodline said:
At this point, there is nothing else to do short of acting like a victim. And at least he gets brownie points for avoiding that option.
Or he could, you know, get off of Twitter.