Kill Stealing

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
May have something to do with kdr ratios, as others before have pointed out.

In Tribes, all you have to go by is the team's score and your own kills/assists. In LoL, there's no such thing as an explicit "team score" and all you have to see how well you're doing is the relation of your kills and deaths. Also dat e-penis.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
DasDestroyer said:
It's not Zeus, it's the people playing him. Some people use his ult the second they see their teammates almost kill an enemy, some people wait until an enemy gets away with low hp before ulting.
Wait til they get away before hitting with his ult, or just do it right at the beginning of a team fight - that's how I play Zeus - preferably at the start in case Zeus can't stay alive long enough to use his ultimate.

AI Zeus is honest to god the most fucking annoying character in a game ever though.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Same thing on Stellar Impact. I just played a match, got 22 kills, by far the most in the match, and some were from lucky shots where one or more allied ships were pounding the same target.
Doesn't really matter who gets the kill, all that matters is that the enemy is turned into so much scrap.
I never really hear anyone screaming about "kill stealing" unless it is on XBL, which I haven't played on for more than half a year, or something like that.

I think the FPS multiplayer communities just stink, moreso on XBL than on PC, but still, FPS more than other game types.
Then again, they might also stink on TPS games, but I never did play much of those types of game online.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
It all comes down to game mechanics. If the game rewards for assists - you are going to have people that try to assist you. If you don't want that, well, you are kind of stuck with it because it was designed as part of the game. I personally hate kill-stealing and kill-helping, even if the mechanics allow for it. I like trying to push the limits of my characters to see what I can and can't do.

An example of this was in WoW, a friend and I intentionally trained and worked through about 10-15 baddies at once just to see if we could do it. The combat was close but we looked like we were going to win with the end in sight until some douche-bag decided he would help. He ran in to help like a noble paladin on a white horse to save us. He stood there waiting for a thank you, that I sure wasn't going to give him and then said "what, no thank you?". The conversation degenerated after that.

I was totally deflated and my game experience was kinda ruined (at that moment at least) because someone with the best intentions helped where it wasn't needed or wanted. Do I fault him, yeah, I kinda do. It's a game where death in meaningless. If you die just try again. What point is there in playing if every time there is a modicum of difficulty, someone comes in to "mop up"?

My point is that people should be respectful of others. If you saw someone on the street, maybe trying to fix a bicycle or something, you wouldn't just walk up and start doing it for them, you'd ask first. It might be a bit harder in a video game if all of your fingers are busy so that you have a hard time trying to type a response to a tell or chat, but if the person you asked if they want help remains silent, just leave them be. You aren't being helpful by doing for them what they are trying to do, you are just being a rude dick - despite your best intentions.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Bloodtrozorx said:
My friends and I have a rule for Halo or COD. "There is no such thing as kill stealing". What should I do? Stand by while you fight and hope the enemy doesn't kill you first? The goal is to win the game not be "top of the list".
I'm actually surprised to see anyone in a team FPS game complain about kill stealing. I have never played Halo or COD, but I've played other team based FPS games and KS is generally a joke. I suppose based on my own perspective of trying to see if you have what it takes to get the kill they might be upset, but really it comes down to the game. If your personal stats are greatly affected by kill stealing, either you suck more than you think, or that other guy is using your body as cover and perhaps it is advisable to make a mental note of that and reverse the roles for a while and see how he likes it. :)

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
In CoD, everyone's caring about their KDR and their KDR only. It's not a hard game to get KDR on in the first place if you get a killstreak and play defensively, but when that's all you play for, you can bet your ass people get mad if you screw over their score by being a team player.

In LoL/DotA/HoN/etc, those kills give you a lot of delicious money and equally delicious KDR(to flex their e-penis). That money SHOULD go to gear dependent characters if it's possible, so if a gear independent hero intentionally killsteals, he's effectively crippling the team. However, a lot of non-gear-dependent gankers will also steal that money from carries/tanks for the sake of their KDR, and rage if the guy who SHOULD get the kill, takes the kill. Another reason why you never play in pubs in MOBAs.

In Tribes, kills aren't important. Flags are important. Kills do help, as it either causes or relieves pressure to have one less player alive and in position, and it generates money you can use for upgrades, vehicles or bombardments, but the important part is to get the flag. Thus, there's no issue with it whatsoever.
You also get money if you did a significant part of the damage to that player, so even that problem solves itself.

captcha: "sod's law". Indeed. D:

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
In a team game, it's not kill-stealing. It's playing as a team: two dudes have more chance against an enemy than a 1-vs-1. On the flip side, if it's a flat deathmatch, FFA or whatever you want to call it, it's ALSO not kill stealing. If you haven't killed the guy yet, it's not your kill. Honestly, it's a game; just enjoy it.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Kill Secured Sir.

Also i accidentally ks all the time in LoL.

Usually accidents, unless playing with friends. In which case i get ALL THE KILLS!

Barry Purse

Dec 15, 2010
I enjoy playing a Teemo and Tryndamere. I'm clearly invited to a lot of games.

distortedreality said:
Mr Pantomime said:
Does this example show that the Tribes Ascend community are just better people than COD and LOL communities
Hit the nail on the head here tbh.
WORD.
LoL has the best community ever.
EVER.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Mr Pantomime said:
I want to use this example as a jumping off point for discussion. Does this example show that the Tribes Ascend community are just better people than COD and LOL communities, or is it the game's mechanics and scoring system which cause people to act nicer. Am I just I some sort of weird bubble where everyone I play with is super nice?

Note: Tribes Ascend doesn't show deaths on the scoreboard, only kills and assists. You get the same amount of points for a kill and an assist.
I feel the same way about the Tribes community. There are a few jerks with poor sportsmanship, but overall everyone is surprisingly nice and cooperative.

Though, I think part of the reason Tribes players aren't too concerned with kill stealing is that, at least to my newbish knowledge/experience, getting 10 kills in a game doesn't really put you at a spectacular advantage over getting 5 kills and 5 assists. I mean, upgrading turrets, radar, etc helps the whole team, and vehicles/ orbital strikes are nice but not that important. Plus, like you said, a kill and an assist are worth the same (though most of the time getting a kill will come with a bunch of other bonuses, depending on how you got the kill).

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
In games like Call of Duty where killing an opponent takes a split second and the slightest bit of hesitation can get you killed I think accusing people of kill stealing is ridiculous. The guy that got the kill is the guy that got the kill.

However, some may point out that taking a final stand kill is stealing someone's kill. People complain about this much more often. But, in some cases I disagree. The enemy is still a threat. I recall several instances on Call of Duty where I would turn a corner and a guy in last stand is right in front of me. If I don't kill him he will most likely kill me, and then eventually get back up meaning neither I nor the person who put him in final stand get the kill anyway.

This problem was addressed in Black Ops where they changed it so that the player who put the enemy into second chance gets the kill be it that player or a team mate. The team mate gets an assist.

I just think people who get worked up about stolen kills might be taking the game a bit too seriously. Black Ops developers even said this themselves when they were urged to change how second chance kills work.

Mar 9, 2010
Mr Pantomime said:
Does this example show that the Tribes Ascend community are just better people than COD and LOL communities, or is it the game's mechanics and scoring system which cause people to act nicer.
I've never had a guy give me a bollocking for 'kill stealing,' nobody on Call of Duty has ever done that to me. I think you're actually just giving everyone in Call of Duty and League of Legends a hard time for the actions of random individuals, though I can't speak too much for the LoL community.

The Call of Duty community is just more isolated and individual focused, there's rarely any actual assholes, it's just blown out of proportion how bad it is.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
bloob said:
but when its 2+ on 1 with no one else around and I down someone and someone else steals my kill really annoys me.
This always annoyed me in Gears as well especially since you only get something like 10 points for killing someone you didn't down yourself so there's really no point in stealing someone else's kill.People are just doing it to increase their k/d ratio

TakeshiLive

Mar 8, 2012
Well, I haven't played Tribes Ascend yet but I guess I can speak for other FPS's. In CoD, people die too quickly and host advantages too dodgy for anything to be called kill stealing.

As for Halo, however, they'll give you a medal for kill stealing. It's called a Yoink! That only really applies to game modes that contain two teams. In FFAs and Multiteam games however, kill steal away, I say. At least not from your teamates.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
If it's a team game, why should anyone care? I can understand being annoyed in a free-for-all match if another player snuck in a final hit to take your points, but if it's all Reds vs Blues, one less Red is good no matter how it happens.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
It has nothing to do with better community and has everything to do with design. Kill Stealing in Tribes doesn't matter because you don't gain power for doing so, while in CoD you get more powerful for more kills. If you get killed in a Moba game the enemy gets more powerful, argo someone with 90 deaths is definitely the sole reason your team lost and you gain power for killing.

Once again, Tribes doesn't have a better community because people don't think its Kill Stealing, its just that Kill Stealing has no effect on anything. If anything, I find Tribes community more infuriating then any other community or game I've played in a while.

christhenoob

Sep 6, 2011
For me, there are several reasons why I don't mind KSing in that game. For one thing, even if you get an assist, you still get a fair sum of xp and a little badge on your belt for the assist. That cushions the blow and when a skirmish can change with one lucky shot, help is welcome. Another thing is that the game isn't focused on kills unless your referring to TDM which, in my opinion, is not as popular or competitive as CTF. There are other objectives such as flags, generators, turrets, etc that people are paying more attention to whereas kills are more of the icing on the cake. I do HATE it when I'm playing a pathfinder, flying at the flag at 280 kph and a derpy raider or heavy walks up and picks the flag despite my numerous claims to the flag. That is infuriating.

Ymbirtt

May 3, 2009
Well, it entirely depends on the context of the kill. In CoD, a great deal of emphasis is placed by a lot of the players on scoring kills, and from what I know about the game having not actually played it, people tend to focus on K/D ratios above all. Their objective is to maximise their K/D, so anyone who gets in the way of that really pisses them off.

For Tribes, there's much more focus on points rather than just kills, which you'll get for loads of things. I've managed to top scoreboards by placing my focus exclusively on capping and going fast, which I'm informed one has got to do, so I really don't care if people take my kills off me, and with the amount of points that can be awarded for destroying secondary objectives, that's probably why nobody else seems to care. Their objective is points, not kills.

As for LoL, I almost exclusively play support (6 deaths to 34 assists ftw), so I know about the damage that killstealing can do. A kill grants a large (ish) amount of gold and experience to the killer, and around half the reward to all assistants, depending on how much they did to help. When some members of the team rely heavily on gold and/or experience to succeed, whilst others (like me) don't really benefit as much, it's quite understandable that people would be annoyed when you score a kill in their place.