Kinect Man Says "Hardly Anyone" Plays PC Shooters Anymore

ilspooner

Apr 13, 2010
Oh my goodness! I am hardly anyone! I used to think I was important, but no. :(
But seriously, mouse and keyboard are better than a controller. This guy is just making shit up, if you ask me.

The Journey

Jul 12, 2010
Someone should slap that deluded gentleman silly.

It sounds far too much like the entire company is losing it's marbles in terms of the PC. They began with the platform and now they're trying so hard to rub it out of the market it's almost absurd.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
cocoadog said:
coolman9899 said:
cocoadog said:
teh_gunslinger said:
From the Steam page:

66,415 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
65,164 Counter-Strike: Source
61,036 Counter-Strike
17,888 Football Manager 2010
13,746 Team Fortress 2
10,053 Left 4 Dead 2

That's not quite in line with his statements.

And it also scares me that 1.6 is still so popular.
Halo Reach. 734,000. Obviously 60,000 people is nothing to shake a stick at, but by comparison all of those games don't add up to one xbox game. So not hardly anyone by any means... but definitely fewer than there should be.
umm that doesnt really count eh? halo reach came out last week (guessing date XD) so of course the stats are high every game is like that the first month then people get bored and move on

then there is what ImprovizoR said that steam's sales are all legit and I think that half of reach's players have pirited the game. Also where did you get the statistics for the players?
Post a link to where you got the stats from...
Half of reaches players is still more than all of those games. Also that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard, there is no one in hell that half the people playing a game have pirated it. You need a tricked out xbox to even play it. And the number of players currently playing are shown on the main matchmaking screen...
Regardless, the Reach numbers are biased because
1) Reach is a new title and thus will have a high volume when compared to the Steam titles which are all at least a year old.

2) These represent Steam sales only. If you bought any of these games on any other distribution method (eg, Stardock, D2D or Retail Box) they would not show up in these numbers.

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
AC10 said:
cocoadog said:
coolman9899 said:
cocoadog said:
teh_gunslinger said:
From the Steam page:

61,036 Counter-Strike
13,746 Team Fortress 2
10,053 Left 4 Dead 2

Halo Reach. 734,000. Obviously 60,000 people is nothing to shake a stick at, but by comparison all of those games don't add up to one xbox game. So not hardly anyone by any means... but definitely fewer than there should be.
umm that doesnt really count eh? halo reach came out last week (guessing date XD) so of course the stats are high every game is like that the first month then people get bored and move on

then there is what ImprovizoR said that steam's sales are all legit and I think that half of reach's players have pirited the game. Also where did you get the statistics for the players?
Half of reaches players is still more than all of those games. Also that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard, there is no one in hell that half the people playing a game have pirated it. You need a tricked out xbox to even play it. And the number of players currently playing are shown on the main matchmaking screen...
1) Reach is a new title and thus will have a high volume when compared to the Steam titles which are all at least a year old.

2) These represent Steam sales only. If you bought any of these games on any other distribution method (eg, Stardock, D2D or Retail Box) they would not show up in these numbers.
Okay well modern warfare 2 has 200,000 to 300,000 all the time... sorry people just don't play PC games as much as consoles.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
cocoadog said:
AC10 said:
cocoadog said:
coolman9899 said:
cocoadog said:
teh_gunslinger said:
From the Steam page:

61,036 Counter-Strike
13,746 Team Fortress 2
10,053 Left 4 Dead 2

Okay well modern warfare 2 has 200,000 to 300,000 all the time... sorry people just don't play PC games as much as consoles.
And yet you fail to grasp the crux of the argument. Those MW2 numbers on PC are still only for the Steam client. Online distribution does not constitute the majority of PC sales, Retail Boxed still holds that honour. Thus the numbers played on Steams MW2 currently are but a fraction of the people playing currently.

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
AC10 said:
cocoadog said:
AC10 said:
cocoadog said:
coolman9899 said:
cocoadog said:
teh_gunslinger said:
From the Steam page:

61,036 Counter-Strike
13,746 Team Fortress 2
10,053 Left 4 Dead 2

And yet you fail to grasp the crux of the argument. Those MW2 numbers on PC are still only for the Steam client. Online distribution does not constitute the majority of PC sales, Retail Boxed still holds that honour. Thus the numbers played on Steams MW2 currently are but a fraction of the people playing currently.
That's nice. But you are still wrong. Even people that buy hard copies of the game still usually play it on steam. Stop arguing against consoles... you can't win they have more players.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
cocoadog said:
AC10 said:
cocoadog said:
AC10 said:
cocoadog said:
coolman9899 said:
cocoadog said:
teh_gunslinger said:
From the Steam page:

61,036 Counter-Strike
13,746 Team Fortress 2
10,053 Left 4 Dead 2

That's nice. But you are still wrong. Even people that buy hard copies of the game still usually play it on steam. Stop arguing against consoles... you can't win they have more players.
I'd rather we look at hard statistics. Both of us are wrapped in speculation and neither of us can make claims without looking at information I'm not sure even exists.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
I urge you to find a PC gamer who doesn't have an FPS installed in his or her hard drive. FPS is hands down, easily the most popular PC genre, if we don't include facebook or browser games.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
What exactly about a mouse and keyboard is superior to a gamepad?

An analog stick, if you think about it, is just a trackball mouse operated by a lever, directed by your thumb. A regular mouse is directed by your arm/wrist using your elbow as leverage.

Can I have at least one scientific/physical reason why PC controls are better?

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
It's funny, he says "Halo made it all about the consoles" but Halo was also on PC. you can go online right now and find a few Halo servers to play on. It didn't make it all about the consoles, Goldeneye did that, but it did start the trend of throwing as many shooters onto consoles as fast as physically possible. There are still a shit ton of shooters being played by hundreds of thousands of people each god damned day. It's a hell of a lot asier to play them on PC than consoles, though I do love my console.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
All Halo did was give those who aren't good enough to play on the Comp. a place to play.

I'm a console gamer over a PC gamer. Mostly because I lack the funds for the super computer that I'd assume I'd need for as many games as I like to play and do end up playing. Console's memory cards and lack of requirement to install data (well, as much data as PCs require) is what keeps me with them. But to give Halo all that credit? That's a bit of a high horse rider there now isn't it?

Halo only helped give online console gaming an identity, and from there CoD4 led the "realistic shooter" way for 2 MW games and soon to come Medal of Honor. Gears gave us a 3rd person game, and I know there are more console shooters that are big, I'm just spacing out on them due to lack of sleep

But I know that there are people out there who are mainly or exclusively PC gamers who are addicted to the MW games online, or still playing TF2 like they have for the last however many years (and I hear the updates it can get over consoles make it better)

Valve is the current voice behind PC gaming that I know of (and this is coming from a console gamer, so that may be where my fault or lack of others lies) They help keep PC shooters alive and kicking and I know that long after the Halo effect has worn off and the Master Chief and Noble Team shirts are slowly moved to the back of the closet we'll always have PC shooters and gaming. From what I observe from it here it's the most evolutionary gaming that doesn't have to actually evolve like console gaming does.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
So that explains why Valve is failing. I don't think this guy did the research.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Halo making shooters all about consoles is only partly true, because there's still a plethora of individuals (definitely in the millions) who still play shooters on their PC, while they are not the majority anymore (because games like Halo, Perfect Dark, and Goldeneye showed how much more convenient it was to have it on a console so you could play locally with your friends instead of ALWAYS having to be on the internet) there is still a considerable number of people who still spend thousands of dollars on their PC so player X can't kill him because of a "slight" amount of lag

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
hooksashands said:
What exactly about a mouse and keyboard is superior to a gamepad?

An analog stick, if you think about it, is just a trackball mouse operated by a lever, directed by your thumb. A regular mouse is directed by your arm/wrist using your elbow as leverage.

Can I have at least one scientific/physical reason why PC controls are better?
I get a trolling sense from your comments, but I am going to fall for it.

Scientific reason why a mouse is better. I don't have one. I cannot give a scientific explanation reason why the mouse is better. It just is.

I offer the following as evidence.
1. Auto-aim. A system to allow you to hit something , even if your targeting is not dead-on. This was invented for console shooters because joypads are not as accurate as mice, where this function was never needed.

2. Shadowrun. A cross platform game that allowed 360 players on joypads to play against PC players. The mouse controls were hobbled so that PC players did not have an unfair advantage. In the end the mouse controls were made so bad that the joypad was better for this particular game. Since then even though the technology exists there has never been an FPS that allows 360 and PC players to compete. I wonder why?

3. Microsoft did have a plan to make a system, to allow PC and 360 players to compete. But canceled it when, in testing, moderately skilled mouse users wiped the floor with the best Joypad players. http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/25/hps-gaming-guy-says-microsoft-killed-cross-platform-play-due-to/

4. In professional PC gaming leagues no one has ever won an FPS championship using a joypad. When this happens I will of course admit that joypads and mice are equal for FPS games.

The only advantage that joypads have is that you can use them easily from a sofa. End of....

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
Team Fortress 2, doing pretty well?

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm sorry, it's just that the understatement....

PAAAAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

micky

Apr 27, 2009
ha! what an idiot i play counter-strike more than any game on a console.