teh_gunslinger said:
From the Steam page:

66,415 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
65,164 Counter-Strike: Source
61,036 Counter-Strike
17,888 Football Manager 2010
13,746 Team Fortress 2
10,053 Left 4 Dead 2

That's not quite in line with his statements.

And it also scares me that 1.6 is still so popular.
Thats because 1.6 is still awesome, and because it will pretty much run on ANY pc.

OT. How can someone this ignorant work for the games industry?
Because he works for Microsoft.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG with some developers these days?!! First "gay space marines", now this bullshit?! Aren't they supposed to be the smart people or something? If they are our creators for future games...

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
oh? I guess I'll skip the LAN I'm going to tonight, theres just no point anymore now that PC FPSs are dead. ;)

The Rookie Gamer

Mar 15, 2010
First of all, he is marketing something with the name KINECT, so we should laugh at anything he says. Second, he is saying this, and mentioning Halo because he is riding on MS sack.

BenzSmoke

Nov 1, 2009
He's saying people went to console shooters because of the original Halo.
Then why are there people playing Halo on the PC long after the console version died?

Well, his stand on creating and optimizing games specifically for motion control, like how Halo was optimized for the XBox, seems like a good idea. But, I wish he'd think before he speaks.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
The Rookie Gamer said:
First of all, he is marketing something with the name KINECT, so we should laugh at anything he says.
But didn't you get the memo? Kinect is "Super Serious." NO SMILES ALLOWED!!!

AHHHHHHHH!!!!

Hardly anyone plays PC shooters? Yeah, well hardly anyone wants to play virtual petting zoo! [sub][sub]Or Virtual boy for that matter[/sub][/sub]

Second, he is saying this, and mentioning Halo because he is riding on MS sack.
Considering Reach's recent release, those who work for Microsoft may have to meet a quota for exalting Halo. :p

robinhood36

Burnt Bacon Bits
Apr 13, 2009
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102261-Rumor-Microsoft-Killed-PC-Xbox-Cross-Platform-Play

Thread

JavaJoeCoffee

Sep 2, 2010
There are 11,000 people playing BF Bad Co 2 on the pc at this very instant and over 1.9 million individual logins in total. Yep, guess no one's playing. Actually I'd be playing now, but the servers are too full.

I believe there are only 2 words necessary to explain the superiority of the mouse...

"BOOM HEADSHOT!"

fyrh56

Apr 2, 2008
hooksashands said:
What exactly about a mouse and keyboard is superior to a gamepad?

An analog stick, if you think about it, is just a trackball mouse operated by a lever, directed by your thumb. A regular mouse is directed by your arm/wrist using your elbow as leverage.

Can I have at least one scientific/physical reason why PC controls are better?
Muscle memory.

With a mouse, you move and shoot. Near-instant movement even. You know that if you move the mouse a few centimetres, the mouse pointer/sights on the screen will move a few pixels. Every time. Your physical effort yields the same results.

With an analog stick, you push, wait until everything lines up, and then shoot. It can bloody well take over a second to line up your sights. Also, analog sticks tend to have different speeds. Even if you straight out push it to the max, the view will start to spin slowly, then accelerate. No consistency, no muscle memory.

You can aim faster, more consistently, with a more natural movement (you point at stuff) with a mouse.

Also, a trackball is a mouse on reverse with the mouse static and the "mouse pad" moving (i.e. you spinning the ball). An analog stick is a lever with a spring at the end. And your elbow is not your leverage. For most people it's the wrist.

crobulator

Dec 27, 2009
i'm sorry but obvious troll is obvious ill just destroy my games and cancel my next lan then since pc fps is dead /facepalm

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Muscle memory has nothing to do with the speed in which your cursor moves. Sensitivity does.

I've played both Left 4 Deads, Unreal, Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 2 flag capture matches on PC, alternating between a laser mouse, a trackball and a 360 gamepad. None of the three seem to have any advantage over the other, with the possible exception of the trackball, which allows for a smoother 180 degree turn.

What mouse-only gamers don't seem to realize is that if you are only using the right analog to nudge your crosshairs over the target, then you're imposing a severe handicap on yourself. Left analog movement can also be used to line up your shot, along with the added benefit of keeping you strafed. Trying to achieve this same tactic with three fingers slamming down on the A S D keys is slightly more difficult for me.

Maybe I was just born with superhuman thumbs.

Dr_Steve_Brule

Mar 28, 2010
The only reason I play on my PC is because of First Person Shooters.
What a dumbass.

hooksashands said:
Muscle memory has nothing to do with the speed in which your cursor moves. Sensitivity does.

I've played both Left 4 Deads, Unreal, Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 2 flag capture matches on PC, alternating between a laser mouse, a trackball and a 360 gamepad. None of the three seem to have any advantage over the other, with the possible exception of the trackball, which allows for a smoother 180 degree turn.

What mouse-only gamers don't seem to realize is that if you are only using the right analog to nudge your crosshairs over the target, then you're imposing a severe handicap on yourself. Left analog movement can also be used to line up your shot, along with the added benefit of keeping you strafed. Trying to achieve this same tactic with three fingers slamming down on the A S D keys is slightly more difficult for me.

Maybe I was just born with superhuman thumbs.
I tend to disagree with this opinion.
The thing which makes a mouse superior to a controller in my opinion is the fact that a mouse can accelerate its speed according to the input by the user. A controller, however, can only maintain a constant speed, depending on the given sensitivity. It just feels robotic to me.

Mr.SunShine

Feb 25, 2010
hooksashands said:
What exactly about a mouse and keyboard is superior to a gamepad?

An analog stick, if you think about it, is just a trackball mouse operated by a lever, directed by your thumb. A regular mouse is directed by your arm/wrist using your elbow as leverage.

Can I have at least one scientific/physical reason why PC controls are better?

well...
The analog stick is technically a mouse with a lever on it. it is costrained by the controller around it. while a mouse, i can move my mouse from the bottom left hand corner of my mousepad to the back of my desk in less than a second. while if you wanted to turn around on a console you would move the analog stick right and hold it there until you are facing the appropiate direction, whereas i can simply pick up my mouse, move it to the center or side of my mouse pad and keep on sliding... also. i do envy the analog stick for MOVEMENT though... you get full 360 movement control and speed control too boot. while a keyboard gives you 4 keys that you can combine... i like the pc controls a lot better because i grew up with them. you can also go look on youtube at a consoler playing and a pc gamer playing and you will see that the pc player is a lot smoother and more precise... not trying to bash consoles as they do excel at some genres. fighters for example. but fps's belong on the pc imho

EDIT: also i do remember valve adding a 180 button for the console players in l4d for EXACTLY that reason. then again valve is pretty biased towards the pc. probably too busy with all those patches for the PC VERSION OF TF2 WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE GUFFAW GUFFAW

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
hooksashands said:
Sorry, you used all 3 and found the trackball the best?! Please don't ever be in my squad on an on-line FPS....

Mr.SunShine said:
also. i do envy the analog stick for MOVEMENT though... you get full 360 movement control and speed control too boot. while a keyboard gives you 4 keys that you can combine...
You might want to try getting one of the new gamepad controllers to replace you keyboard while gaming. Examples are the Logitech G15 and Saitek Cyborg command unit. They have a small analog joystick, you can use for analog movement and a keypad area After getting my G15 I will never use a keyboard for FPS again. No-one will ever get a mouse out of my hand though, not even the Kinetc guy....

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Correction: Hardly anyone plays CONSOLE shooters anymore. Why? Because no one likes to be on 1 of the 2 maps to have clunky controls and be yelled at that you are a negroid homosexual and that you should suck anything that has to do with your lower part of your body.

And maybe that isn't even true (I guess some like to do that... I don't know)

What might be true is: Nobody plays Point & Click anymore, nobody plays Chess anymore or nobody plays Pong anymore.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Wow, way to show everyone you're completely alienated from your customers. What a bunch of shit, honestly.