Kingdoms of Amalur's Combat The "Best" Of Any RPG

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Wolfram01 said:
Better combat than Skyrim?

Yeah, tough feat.

I mean, I get that he wants to compare to the big boy on the block, but advertising better combat than Skyrim is almost self defeating. Your combat is better than bad... so... it can still be bad.

Games like the Witcher, Witcher 2, and Demon's/Dark Souls all have better combat IMO for recent titles. And really, Amalur combat is more like a tweaked version of Fable.
This. Better than Skyrim's combat? That says so much about the quality of your game's combat. Also, R.A. Salvatore? So the characters will god mode and moar action takes place over character development?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
TheVioletBandit said:
BrotherRool said:
Skyrim has good combat?
That's just what I was thinking. Maybe they mean good as functional?
As in less buggy? Sounds right :D

Incredible new non-broken combat systems!
100% playable!
Press buttons and stuff will happen. Guaranteed!

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Well to start Skyrim's combat really isn't that great. I played the demo and enjoyed it enough to preorder it, I wouldn't say the combat is the 'best' but its quite enjoyable and flows well. To me the game felt like dragon age but with good combat, as the combat in dragon age turned me off the game A LOT because of the clunky feel to it. The combat in kingdoms of amalur definitely flows and lot better and feels smoother.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Its combat certainly wasn't awful, but I didn't play around with it enough to judge much. Best seems really dubious, but better than Skyrim? Probably.
I would say it's awful. Maybe I hate action combat, but the controls (I don't mean key bindings) and combat was quite repulsive to me in the demo. Plus, if you want that sort of thing, Witcher 2 is better.

Better than Skyrim? Fuck no. Different maybe, but Skyrim and TES games in general have a specific kind of combat that can be very immersive and enjoyable to the people who like that sort of thing. To me personally, there's no better combat than how the TES games handle it. I know it's not much and could be done better, but it just really works for me and I'm sadly unable to find a game that uses those combat mechanics anywhere else.

personion

Dec 6, 2010
Skyrim's combat wasn't that great. I still loved skyrim ,but the combat could get pretty boring.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Oh. So fable 2/3 also had the best RPG combat ever?

Seriously, that's the vibe I picked up from the demo. A fable clone. To be fair, it was a rather enjoyable fable clone, but the thing is that fable thrives on it's charm. The depiction of a classical fairy tale fantasy universe (and then it actually being a pretty terrifying place to live) was what kept me being bored with fable. Reckoning has it's own kind of charm, an upgraded version of the graphical style of world of warcraft, which although I've never played it, I always admired it's charm, but I don't think it'll be enough to hold it up.

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
KoA came outta left field for me, so my perspective wasn't skewed by hype or anything when I started playing the demo.

Overall, I'm impressed. Things are pretty, combat's quick and fun, and the production values (animation, voice-acting, etc.) are decent.

Never read any of Salvatore's books, and never really cared for Todd... but based on what I saw, KoA looks like winner.

And please, future posters, no more mention of the misguided comparison between KoA's combat with Skyrim. All but a handful of posts in the last two pages have pointed out that very thing... we get it. Let it rest. :|

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Hurray, I can finally ***** about my experiences with demo version :)

I'm really grateful for Reckoning demo because it showed everyone how demo is supposed to be made. Hour long, giving you a small taste of everything. Nice job.

On other hand it was buggy - I couldn't even start the game before playing with settings a bit. Crashing, freezing, getting stuck in world geometry, sound skipping happened way too often for my taste (then again it's only a demo). Overall (very) weak graphics can be somewhat ignored because art design is good. As @vansau said it's reminiscent of WoW and Reckoning itself has this MMO feel to it (it started off as an MMO after all).

However, my biggest problem was the combat. Swinging your weapon around is responsive, sure, but blocking and dodging is a completely different matter. Before you can dodge, previous animation has to be completed, and blocking is even worse, because your character has too sheathe his weapon and pull out his shield (!?). Seriously, who at 38 Studios thought parrying is such a bad idea? Having my mage character constantly roll around like a hyperactive armadillo is really annoying. Also, it has QTE finishers which (thank God) don't have to be done very often. Right mouse button is by default use selected spell/ability. That means you first need to select that ability (keys 1-9) which is a real flow-breaking pain when you're surrounded by enemies. Perhaps different approach wouldn't work well with their automatic lock-on system.

One of the few games I was looking forward to this year, but from what I saw, I won't be getting it immediately. Perhaps when (if) they iron out a few of these flaws. At least they provided a demo letting us try it before purchase. Thank you 38 Studios.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
you know, that's a hell of a claim. "Everything you love about all the best RPGs in one package."
Well, that's kind of false in the sense that not everyone likes the same things or the same games. As much as I love some action-based RPGs like Skyrim, I much prefer traditional turn-based combat like in many of the older JRPGs and games like Baldur's Gate. I don't care much for the combat in this game's demo, though it might be better in the full game... add to that that if I'm going to play an action-based RPG, I prefer it to be 1st-person (the exception being the Diablo series).

At this point, all I can say is that it looks like it's being over-hyped. It's claiming too much and I'm not sure if it'll deliver. Only time will tell though.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Ha, ha, ha, no. The demo was okay, but pretty unresponsive at times, especially on PC. Plus, pretty much all the weapons I tried sent my flying past my enemy at the slightest slash if they do even the tiniest of dodges.
I think Dark Souls still takes my vote for best combat in RPG. Hell, the combat is really good compared to lots of games.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I wouldn't call it the best, it wasn't bad but it's just button bashing from what i played on the demo, i'm looking forward to the release but calling there combat the best is a pushing it...ALOT..

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
When I tried the demo everything was pretty smooth nothing exceptional but nothing really bad, but even so I still didn't like it... and then it hit me, this game just felt tired. It was like it just played it safe regarding combat, story, graphics and well pretty much everything.