Kissing: why is it still a social taboo?

Mr Godfrey

Jul 31, 2009
My problem with it is I feel like I'm intruding on an intimate moment. I think it's fine to kiss wherever the hell you damn well please, but I'll probs feel awkward if it's next to me.

TheJulz

Dec 7, 2008
My girlfriend and I make out in public when there aren't many people around, (If we both want to, which is most of the time)but anyone who would like to politely ask us to stop will have their wishes respected. Some people are just to immature to even ask. And that isn't my problem.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
There's a distinct difference between kissing and sucking face.

I have no problem with the former.

spiffleh

Jul 12, 2010
Anything more than a quick kiss by myself or others makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I think it's because when I was single, I was hella jealous. Now that I'm in a relationship, I feel like it's disrespectful to flaunt my not single status to the world. I also think it's disrespectful for other's to do so as well.

FernandoV

Dec 12, 2010
LostTimeLady said:
Recently it's struck me as odd the number of people who find other people kissing in public, so called PDA (public displays of affection), inappropriate or even so much as offensive.

The reason I find it odd is the amount of sexualisation that we're exposed to everyday people no longer bat an eyelid at half naked pictures on the cover of magazines, but genuine expression of love is still frowned upon. (Not that I?m condoning the sexualisation of society by any means!).

I personally used to have a problem with public kissing, that is when I was younger, but these days I think that kissing is an innocent, if sometimes passionate, expression of love and people can kiss if they want to.

So I ask you, fellow Escapists, do you think it's ok to kiss in public places and would you kiss someone you liked/loved publicly?

Discuss!

P.S. sorry moderators, I've not clue why this has posted twice and made two threads!
A kiss is fine, and I've never seen anyone who has a problem with it, but making out makes me uncomfortable. :\

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
I have a problem with people freaking out about "PDA" or public display of affection. I always get criticized for openly kissing my girlfriend. School is like the only time I see her so it's nice to just be together for the minimal amount of time I get to see her. It's nice to actually see couples being affectionate to each other, it's what love is all about right?

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
I don't mind as long as your not getting too hot and heavy. By that time though I have normally walked on by. I try not judge people.

AngryFrenchCanadian

Dec 4, 2008
Is it still? I see plenty of couples at my school that don't mind kissing each other it the middle of public spaces. Personally, I still kiss my father and mother no matter the place because I still love them very much, and I don't plan on ever stopping.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Couples kissing in public really irritate me and (like most things) make me angry. I guess it is because I havent had a relationship like that where I am happy with Public Displays Of Affection.

Damn im lonely.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I don't care. As long as it stays somewhere behind 1st base, I'm fine with it.

Once you get to 1st base it's more like foreplay though.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
There's a distinct difference between kissing and sucking face.

I have no problem with the former.
Seriously.

Kissing is fine. However, if you're going to be like the couple in front of me on the escalator at work the other day and full on dry hump each other in public, expect me to stab you.

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
the sound of two people kissing is one of the few noises that i absolutely cannot stand
i physically cringe every time i hear it.

I think it could actually drive me insane

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I personally don't mind it but from what I heard others complain about, they don't like it when other people are sitting there kissing and "face-sucking" when they are about. PDA is always an issue in public and kissing is on top of the list. I don't mind it except when the couple are making loud and inappropriate action on purpose.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Is it? Sure is the first time I'm hearing that. At first I thought you were from the USA, as they're notoriously prudish there, but I didn't know it was like that in the UK as well.

Kissing's cool here in Holland though. Hell, there are movies made for children with topless women in them.
I'm raising my children in Holland.

OT: I never noticed this, I'm in Australia though.

Maybe it's because all of our wild life wants to kill us and we live in the moment.

TZORG

Jun 1, 2009
I want to go to the mall and see couples banging on public benches and nobody batting an eye. I may be alone in this.