Knights Templar Call For "Negative Game" Ban in Germany

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Don't Believe them Friends! They just want to control our MINDS!!!

..........with a ... Pre-historic, Divine and/or Alien iPhone [http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Pieces_of_Eden]....... Launched into ORBIT!!

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
After reading this thread, i can safely assume the following;

Assassins, one.
Templars, zero.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
They hate violence, because Templars have always been innocent as puppies...

No wait, they are not really in any position to judge I'd wager.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
John Funk said:
TheAmazingHobo said:
John Funk said:
a branch of the Knights Templar Bundestag
Oi mate,
the Bundestag is the German Parliament, not part of the name of the Knights Templars.
Thou shall not trust Google Translation.
Huh. Well, the more you know. If you can suggest a more accurate translation I'd be happy to use it, but for the moment I'll just cut it out :)
So Gamers aren't going to get into a war with the Knights Templar? That makes me a sad Canid.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
The entire organization is probably made up of less than a dozen people... and talk about delusions of grandeur.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Jonny49 said:
EllEzDee said:
Jonny49 said:
Didn't the Templars kill thousands/millions of innocent people?
...What?
Not these guys, but the original Templars.

During the crusades?

I might be talking out of my arse, my history is pretty rough.
Think you mean the German Teutonic knights. The ones that returned from The Crusades and set about "cleansing" Germany of the slavic people.

Naepa34

Dec 10, 2010
When I first read the title I thought they were just sarcastically talking about an extreme religious group. But actual templars? Damn.
...Wait, if there's a secret group of templars trying to control the games industry, does that mean that there's also a secret league of assassins? Was Assassins Creed non-ficton?

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
The templars still exist? Damn, I thought it was all ancient history.

As for the issue of "negative games", do they honestly believe that all games with mature themes are negative and non-educational?

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
So if a group of Germans decide to call themselves templars and ***** about games,
Then some guy on the escapists makes an article about it,

And somehow people assume that:

1) Because a small group of Germans want to ban something, we can insert nazi references although we're probably talking about 10-30 people in a 90-million inhabitants country.

2) The deeds of the historical Knights templar somehow are still alive in a present-world group. Hey, the "Americans" performed genocide on the native Americans or indians... Therefore, all current Americans are somehow responsible for that?

3) Naming yourself after some group suddenly gives people the right to bash both although the name is really the only connection. If I call my Chess club the Knights Templar Chess Order, I'd get "OMG THOS GUYZ R KILLD INNOCENZ" comments too? Cool.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
The Templars have finally revealed themselves once more and are trying to publicly influence governments, you know what this must mean...

THEY HAVE THE APPLE!!!! :O

We are so screwed.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Games portray Templars often as the enemy.

And so the Knights Templar call for a ban of these games, making themselves an enemy to gamers.

A war is coming, and we all know it.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
Dear god let me join the crusade!

I seriously don't understand what Germany has against 'negative games'. Can someone please explain why they're actually trying to get them banned whereas most countries are happy just bitching about them?

devilmore

Nov 18, 2009
I like that Belgian Guy...

Also as far as the order goes: It was re-established in 1705 and got recogbized some hundred years later, though it never got recognized by the pope again since their members are not solely catholic.
Btw, the order has a New York branch, so wait for your own Templar decreed game ban :p

Detective Prince said:
Dear god let me join the crusade!

I seriously don't understand what Germany has against 'negative games'. Can someone please explain why they're actually trying to get them banned whereas most countries are happy just bitching about them?
I could ask the same thing about the US and tits in their games.
Every country has theird idiots, different kinds of idiots, but still idiots...

Though in germany we have the advantage that we can just get an import version from UK or Austria for the same price and get all the tasty gore we all love.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
...Excuse me for a second. I need to look up the latest research into Genetic Memory. And whether or not Abstergo is a real corporation.

Seriously, though. Trying to ban games with negative content is like trying to ban the use of the word "the". It can't be done!

I wonder if this is just a marketing stunt by Ubisoft?

ralph_the_llama

Apr 29, 2011
For what it's worth, there are organizations that still use "Knight Templar" as an honorific. For example, the 13th degree of York-Rite Freemasonry is referred to as Knight Templar. It only has anything to do with the original organization, most of whose members were killed on the Friday the 13th massacre, in terms of ritual significance, or applying lessons from them to the present day. Based on that, my great-grandfather was a 32nd degree Knight Templar, as he was involved in both Scottish-Rite and York-Rite Freemasonry.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
antipodean said:
The organisation in question is not linked to, nor does it claim any descent from the original order founded back during the crusades. It was formed in 1805.

The real Knights Templar were disbanded in France, but were never suppressed in other countries. Instead, they were absorbed into other orders, such as the Hospitaller Order of St John, due to the loss of papal support.
Quoted for truth. These aren't *the* Templars. They're just using the name.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Clearly young people playing violent video games has made this generation of Germans a lot more non-invady.

Coz, you know, they've tried to take over the world twice..and they didn't even have video games back then!