L4D2 Banned

Dogmeat T Dingo

Sep 4, 2008
mstickle said:
When you really think about it there are a heap of games that would be R18 if we had the classification. There's a bunch of stuff that made it through on the MA15 that really shouldn't have.
Bingo.

That is one of the many perfectly valid arguments for having an R18+ rating for video games; the fact that it keeps games intended for adults in an adult rating that can be restricted from minors. Instead we wind up with games that SHOULD have an R18+ rating and which SHOULD be kept from minors, trimming the corners and shoehorning adult oriented content through the MA15+ hole and leaving it on the shelf for any kid to buy.

If Stephen Conroy cared about protecting families and keeping violent games from the precious children, he'd set up an R18+ rating and treat it like cigarettes or booze and have retailers ask for ID, with large fines for supplying them to minors. Sure you'll get parents still buying it for their kids and whatnot, but then that's their responsibility as parents, and if they're so stupid they can't work out what "Restricted to ages 18 and over" means I feel sorry for their children, cause mum and dad are retarded and have no business raising kids.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
"UPDATE: News.com.au has a copy of the board report. The PDF file indicates that the game was refused classification due to 'high impact violence' against 'living humans infected with a rabies-like virus' that is unsuitable for minors under the age of 18."

From IGN, why don't they just make it an 18 certificate game?

Nyrb

Sep 17, 2009
Anoctris said:
Ha ha! Got 'em. These are the people responsible.

http://www.classification.gov.au/www/cob/classification.nsf/Page/ClassificationinAustralia_Whoweare_ClassificationBoard_ClassificationBoardMembers

Release the hounds.
Actually apparently it's this guys fault

http://www.ministers.sa.gov.au/ministers.php?id=7

But apparently apparently he views angry letters saying why video games should have an R rating as proof that their shouldn't be an R rating, that's right, he's batshit crazy

Max_A_Buck

Jun 16, 2009
They'll fix it. I don't know of any games (this big) off the top of my head that weren't fixed up to make classification. It'd be silly to not try and sell to another country.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
So Left 4 Dead 2 is banned, which is a game about zombies, but Bioshock, a game involving the 'harvesting' of little girls (albeit monstrous ones), implied and literal drug use, and inflicting horrific injuries on mutated humanoids (kind of like L4D2) ISN'T?

Makes perfect sense!

Nyrb

Sep 17, 2009
Well, they are taking steps to ban games from online sale as well, and hopefully it wouldn't be retroactive, but even if we could, there would still be no Australian servers, meaning that the lag would be so bad that it wouldn't be worth bothering

Nyrb

Sep 17, 2009
Max_A_Buck said:
They'll fix it. I don't know of any games (this big) off the top of my head that weren't fixed up to make classification. It'd be silly to not try and sell to another country.
I don't want it "fixed up", I want the original content, in all its gory detail

Exploding zombie heads is extremely satisfying

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
...Australia is a bit like Japan, except instead of being goofy and weird, they just suck.

So, without further ado... "Oh, Australia" *headdesk*

Nyrb

Sep 17, 2009
Chadling said:
...Australia is a bit like Japan, except instead of being goofy and weird, they just suck.

So, without further ado... "Oh, Australia" *headdesk*
Right now it feels more like communist China...

Sark

Jun 21, 2009
This isn't the worst part about gaming in Australia. I think prices are far worse. It is usually around $50 or $60 in the USA for a new game right? In Australia its $100 or $110(for PS3). This was probably ok when it reflected the exchange rate. AUS dollar is going for around 87 US cents at the moment, so a game that is $50 in America should be around $58-60 right?

Nyrb

Sep 17, 2009
And they wonder why people pirate games...

The reason they are so high, is because the government makes us pay a tax on games

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Thurmer said:
stabnex said:
"Refused Classification"?! What is that, slang for "we're too drunk to write numbers on paper"?! Did their cocaine buckets overflow and they all passed out through work that day? I'm sorry, but it just sounds like sheer laziness on their part. Fuck them with rusty rocket launcher barrels.
wha...? its not that, it was refused classification because we don't have a R rating for video games so anygame deemed above MA15+ gets canned major bs
By that understanding, ANYTHING meant for adults gets banned. No violent movies, no mature music, what is Australia land of the Fischer Price and Fairy Dust now? I don't buy it.

ekkaman

Feb 19, 2009
AWC Viper said:
ekkaman said:
AWC Viper said:
o.0 WTF????

EDIT: well at time like these i need to kick my takeover Australia plan into action sooner than i thought.

C'mon k rud we need a "R" rating.
Yes cuase that little jerk can solve it all cant he idiot.

someone put there arsehole hat on today. all im saying is that if we had a "R" rating all of this "game banning" would be behind us.
I guess you did but you really think that jerk gives a toss

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
stabnex said:
Thurmer said:
stabnex said:
"Refused Classification"?! What is that, slang for "we're too drunk to write numbers on paper"?! Did their cocaine buckets overflow and they all passed out through work that day? I'm sorry, but it just sounds like sheer laziness on their part. Fuck them with rusty rocket launcher barrels.
wha...? its not that, it was refused classification because we don't have a R rating for video games so anygame deemed above MA15+ gets canned major bs
By that understanding, ANYTHING meant for adults gets banned. No violent movies, no mature music, what is Australia land of the Fischer Price and Fairy Dust now? I don't buy it.
No, there's an R and Adult Only rating for Film and Music and TV, but not video games.

Nyrb

Sep 17, 2009
And what server will you play on exactly?

"No, there's an R and Adult Only rating for Film and Music and TV, but not video games."

Which is fucking retarded