Latest FFVII Remake Rumor Looks a Lot Like a Hoax

WinterSoldier

Feb 4, 2009
Would rather see a VIII remake with improved systems and a more coherent plot.

I didn't mind XII's system as much but it would've been nice if it was a bit more actiony and quickenings didn't take so much precious MP.

And I'd actually prefer it if games like these were made for a handheld system so they don't end up like XIII. Less time working on the graphics and more time on the actual game please.

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
i'm pretty sure, almost certain, that if ff7 was remade then fans would still ***** because it wasnt how they wanted it. Zelda OoT would be a good example of this, imo.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
Arqus_Zed said:
No, just no.

We had the re-release on PSN, that's nice, that's enough.

A few reasons why this shouldn't happen:
- It didn't age all THAT good, I mean: slow combat (for today's standards), random encounters, tons of 'lost forevers' and a materia-system that was pretty revolutionary for its time, but face it, it still had its flaws and was pretty time-consuming. (not to mention that - just like Limit Breaks in FF VIII - you could easily screw the entire game over by finding loopholes)
- If you do make changes to fix all of that, how big do you think the odds will be fanboys flip out?
- The whole Compilation of FF VII storyline is already big enough a mess as it is. We don't need a remake with possible changes and retcons.
- Square Enix said it would be an expensive project. Wouldn't you rather spend that money on an exciting NEW project?
Yes like a new final fantasy game. New and improved over the last FF this one you'll control NO characters during combat and instead of the entire game being "like" and endless hall it actually will be an endless hall.

In this new FF game the Endless Hallway is like a sort of purgatory where all the most annoying and melodramatic characters are sent to because no one can stand them. Here they must transverse and endless featureless hallway looking for a way to escape.

FFXV: The Endless Hallway of Doom

Really I don't want a Final Fantasy 7 remake so much as I want a new final fantasy game that doesn't suck.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
Truthfully, even if a remake was possible, I would not want it. There is an EXTREMELY good chance that the new Square Enix would fuck it up so bad, that they would lose their entire fan base over it. And with the work that Square Enix has been pumping out lately, I want them to just die so that they don't blemish their name further with their horrible new titles. Out with the new and let the old stay please.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
There's always the possibility it was a Japanese employee with a less than perfect grasp of English.

And with Square's record, especially now that they're Square Enix, I have no doubt they'll continue to milk FF7. Be it a remake to usher all the new gamers into fandom, or to just keep up the cameos in games ala Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Darkauthor81 said:
Arqus_Zed said:
No, just no.

- It didn't age all THAT good, I mean: slow combat (for today's standards), random encounters, tons of 'lost forevers' and a materia-system that was pretty revolutionary for its time, but face it, it still had its flaws and was pretty time-consuming. (not to mention that - just like Limit Breaks in FF VIII - you could easily screw the entire game over by finding loopholes)
- If you do make changes to fix all of that, how big do you think the odds will be fanboys flip out?
- The whole Compilation of FF VII storyline is already big enough a mess as it is. We don't need a remake with possible changes and retcons.
- Square Enix said it would be an expensive project. Wouldn't you rather spend that money on an exciting NEW project?
Yes like a new final fantasy game. New and improved over the last FF this one you'll control NO characters during combat and instead of the entire game being "like" and endless hall it actually will be an endless hall.

In this new FF game the Endless Hallway is like a sort of purgatory where all the most annoying and melodramatic characters are sent to because no one can stand them. Here they must transverse and endless featureless hallway looking for a way to escape.

Really I don't want a Final Fantasy 7 remake so much as I want a new final fantasy game that doesn't suck.
Yyyyeeaah... About that...

I was really thinking about a new installment in the Chrono series? Perhaps a Front Mission title that doesn't screw over everything the original series stands for? Maybe continue in the Ivalice universe and make a new Vagrant Story? Or just a new IP altogether?

I know Square really messed up with the last few installments, but there's still hope, right? Right?!

Anyway, we still have Atlus.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
When will people realize that a FFVII remake is a bad idea?

The day Square makes a FFVII remake will be the day they admit that they're officially out of ideas.

Is this really what we want?

[sub][sub][sub]Besides, I'd much rather see FFVI get a face lift...[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
Arqus_Zed said:
Darkauthor81 said:
Arqus_Zed said:
No, just no.

I was really thinking about a new installment in the Chrono series? Perhaps a Front Mission title that doesn't screw over everything the original series stands for? Maybe continue in the Ivalice universe and make a new Vagrant Story? Or just a new IP altogether?

I know Square really messed up with the last few installments, but there's still hope, right? Right?!

You can have Atlus. I'm currently humping the leg of Nippon Ichi while eagerly awaiting Disgaea 4's American release.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Blitzwing said:
Arqus_Zed said:
Darkauthor81 said:
Arqus_Zed said:
No, just no.

Until they do something you don?t like and then they?ll be the newest punching bag.
Meh, I doubt it, Atlus approach differs too much from Square's.

Square Enix just made a lot of bad choices lately. I mean, one or two bad choices, no problem; even Atlus fucked up with Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army. But Square just keeps on piling FF X-2, onto FF XIII, onto Front Mission Evolved, onto an unnecessary overload of remakes, onto whatever.

Now, I wouldn't say Square is a punching bag, but they deserved the criticism they've been getting lately.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
VI, V, IV and IX are the only games in the series that I actually loved. It gets annoying when people constantly praise VII as the "pinnacle" of the series.

I wouldn't trust Square with remaking their own games anyway... not anymore at least. After seeing what they did to Setzer in Kingdom Hearts and Kefka in Dissidia, I wouldn't want them to even touch VI with a remake. I'm content in enjoying it in all its 16-bit glory.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Blitzwing said:
Arqus_Zed said:
Blitzwing said:
Arqus_Zed said:
Darkauthor81 said:
Arqus_Zed said:
No, just no.

Until they do something you don?t like and then they?ll be the newest punching bag.
Meh, I doubt it, Atlus approach differs too much from Square's.

Square Enix just made a lot of bad choices lately. I mean, one or two bad choices, no problem; even Atlus fucked up with Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army. But Square just keeps on piling FF X-2, onto FF XIII, onto Front Mission Evolved, onto an unnecessary overload of remakes, onto whatever.
I don?t see how remakes are a bad decision and even those games have fans.
Well... Yeah. I was happy too when FF VII, VIII and IX got their re-release on PSN. And I'll give kudos to the fully re-imagined versions of FF III and IV.

But, come on, they've remade FF I and II for almost every. single. platform. After its initial release on the Nintendo Entertainment System, it was released for MSX2, WonderSwan Color, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance, mobile phones, PlayStation Portable, Virtual Console, PlayStation Network and iOS. And that without any truly significant additions.

Yeah, I was happy the first time, but 'trop' is 'te veel' and that is too much.