Laws of physics broken as a perpetual motion machine was invented

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
*sigh* you said it, it uses gravity to produce more electricity then it consumes. It's utilizing acceleration due to gravity and converting the kinetic energy into electricity. I'm sure that's very clever but it's not perpetual motion.......this is simple stuff people.

Cobalt Lion

Nov 4, 2010
I'm calling a fake on this one. I don't see this being done, much less by a guy with some bicycle parts.

Crackerjack55

Nov 14, 2010
Who knew the source of clean sustainable energy we've been searching for was actually to be found in the form of bicycle parts and came with such a .... theatrical... name. Well I'll hold on to my cynicism, since the parts and concept are so blindingly simple that it's almost impossible to believe that scientific genius' all over the world have missed this. Quite frankly it resembles a novelty you'd get in a gift shop in London's Science Museum..

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
ChocoFace said:
First, let's recite the first rule of thermodynamics, shall we? It says that neither matter nor energy can be created or destroyed. Energy can be changed, moved, controlled, stored, or dissipated, but it cannot be produced from nothing or reduced to nothing. I guess the inventor of this machine didn't learn physics well enough in school, or something.

Dubbed the Alpha Omega Galaxy Freefall Generator, this device uses the power of gravity to produce more electricity than it consumes through perpetual motion.

This is what it looks like. It's mostly made from standard, run-of-the-mill bicycle parts (also the reason it cannot fully be patented) and uses a windscreen-washer motor. The inventor, a Somerset engineer, whose name isn't included in the article, predicts a fully commercial version of this could power a house.

link is here, with some extra clarification and a nifty video, as i'm sure this needs to be seen to be believed.
http://www.infoniac.com/hi-tech/latest-invention-perpetual-motion-device-that-produces-power-from-gravity.html

So, raise of hands - energy crisis solved or not? Also it's name. Just, wow.
Here's a counter: http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/news/Readers-correct-generator-claim/article-2674234-detail/article.html
It's a flywheel - they store energy, not generate it.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
the laws of thermodynamics (one of THE fundamental sets of laws!) expressly state that you cannot get something from nothing and that since no system is "perfect" (E.G entirely no release of any energy whatsoever) every system must have a constant injection of energy to keep it going. (if anyone says stars get there energy from nowhere i will shove the Nuclear Fusion equations up thier ***)

so until i see a set of data provided by an impartial observer and screened by a team of other scientists. im calling this a HOAX.

oh and i apologize for the tone... im a little drunk.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
Wicky_42 said:
Eh, bull. If it was serious, it would be up in a few more mainstream publictions, lol. Also, what is the article on about here?
The inventor will not be able to fully patent the Alpha Omega Galaxy Freefall Generator. He will only be able to patent certain parts of the machine. This is because the device claims to be a perpetual motion machine that generates more power than it uses.
You can't patent a perpetual motion machine? Why not?!

It explains nothing
the machine could generate enough electricity to run a house. Hence the flywheel becomes its own source of electricity but with a slight amount of external input that is needed to turn on the machine.
Because it makes electricity, the flywheel become a source of electricity, needing electricity to turn on? What?

Besides, with the amount of rocking and shaking that machine was doing it doesn't seem to be the most efficient engine ever. With those sort of losses I can't even BEGIN to imagine that it works.
It means it essentially becomes a perpetual motion machine that generates electricity for itself and more. The reason it can not fully be patented is not entirely clear, but to me it seems like it uses parts of other patents to create a seemingly simple machine, which it is.
Keep in mind this is the original build of the device. Obviously it can be improved.
Wicky_42 said:
Here's a counter: http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/news/Readers-correct-generator-claim/article-2674234-detail/article.html
It's a flywheel - they store energy, not generate it.
Oh, that explains a lot. I guess next time i'll look into something more thoroughly.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Electric companies pay power plants to not run to keep kilowatt costs up. They will prevent something like this from ever being produced for general consumption.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
ChocoFace said:
oh i see its a Galileo/Da Vinchi style Perpetual Motion machine. this design and ones almost exactly like it have all been tried. sorry

Flac00

May 19, 2010
BS. It is a fact that perpetual motion machines don't work. Energy is lost everywhere. Not to mention, if this actually worked, it wouldn't mean squat. "Generating" energy is really just transferring it, so this machine wouldn't do that job at all. To say this again. BS. Perpetual motion machines are impossible, no matter how hard you might try you will always have to follow the laws of physics.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
I'm afraid after spending much deliberation even I cannot discover how to make a perpetual motion machine as unfortunately Einstein was right..

Even gravity is made from the energy given off by certain mass particles in the curvature of space, or some shit like that, anyway gravity isn't really free like most people think, it is the base energy of the universe and takes energy to create the mass-mass or mass-energy attraction which is gravity..

It think that's right anyway..

Besides the machine even looks false, if there was a perpetual motion machine then it would be incredibly simple without only a few working parts, and also this wouldn't be on the Internet, it would be in the 2nd basement of the Pentagon, surrounded by 'weird beards' busy strapping it to a tank chassis..

EDIT: It surprisingly could take a 2nd life as a prop in a Saw movie...

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
Eh, bull. If it was serious, it would be up in a few more mainstream publictions, lol. Also, what is the article on about here?
The inventor will not be able to fully patent the Alpha Omega Galaxy Freefall Generator. He will only be able to patent certain parts of the machine. This is because the device claims to be a perpetual motion machine that generates more power than it uses.
You can't patent it because it's using bike parts. He didn't make those bike parts, nor the plans for them.

I'd be very interested to see if this is real or not. I'd love to see some more proof of it and what kind of output of energy it gives.

Ampersand said:
*sigh* you said it, it uses gravity to produce more electricity then it consumes. It's utilizing acceleration due to gravity and converting the kinetic energy into electricity. I'm sure that very clever but it's not perpetual motion.......this is simple stuff people.
It looks like more of a generator, but it looks like a very clean and safe one.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I doubt that this is actually perpetual...

I realise that it is using Kinetic + Gravitational Potential energy to spin and produce electricity, but creating more than it uses? I don't think so... especially as some energy will be converted into heat (Via friction)

Flac00

May 19, 2010
WorkerMurphey said:
That's neat if it's legit but I find myself skeptical.
Its not, sorry to rain on your parade. As the article said, anyone who knows and understands physics, knows perpetual motion machines are impossible.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
ChocoFace said:
Wicky_42 said:

It explains nothing
the machine could generate enough electricity to run a house. Hence the flywheel becomes its own source of electricity but with a slight amount of external input that is needed to turn on the machine.
Because it makes electricity, the flywheel become a source of electricity, needing electricity to turn on? What?

Besides, with the amount of rocking and shaking that machine was doing it doesn't seem to be the most efficient engine ever. With those sort of losses I can't even BEGIN to imagine that it works.
It means it essentially becomes a perpetual motion machine that generates electricity for itself and more. The reason it can not fully be patented is not entirely clear, but to me it seems like it uses parts of other patents to create a seemingly simple machine, which it is.
Keep in mind this is the original build of the device. Obviously it can be improved.
It essentially means it's bull - how does it generate energy for itself? By turning? Where's the energy gain there - I can see the losses, from friction in every rotating joint and moving air as well as from moving the elastic drive belt, but no gains.

It's a flywheel, surely - they just spin, the motor on this one keeps it from slowing from all those friction losses. What are the magnets meant to be doing, apart from making things spin? To prove it, he's spin it up, disconnect the motor and, if he's right, it would keep spinning faster and faster.

Edit - just saw your edit.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Jesus Phish said:
Wicky_42 said:
You can't patent it because it's using bike parts. He didn't make those bike parts, nor the plans for them.

I'd be very interested to see if this is real or not. I'd love to see some more proof of it and what kind of output of energy it gives.

Ampersand said:
*sigh* you said it, it uses gravity to produce more electricity then it consumes. It's utilizing acceleration due to gravity and converting the kinetic energy into electricity. I'm sure that very clever but it's not perpetual motion.......this is simple stuff people.
It looks like more of a generator, but it looks like a very clean and safe one.
There isn't a single patenting board in the world that will accept to patent PMM unless they see visual and scientific proof by government officials.