Laws of physics broken as a perpetual motion machine was invented

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
Flac00 said:
WorkerMurphey said:
That's neat if it's legit but I find myself skeptical.
Its not, sorry to rain on your parade. As the article said, anyone who knows and understands physics, knows perpetual motion machines are impossible.
Certainly, my hope is/was more that it would be useful in some other capacity even if it requires outside energy.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Lord Kloo said:
Jesus Phish said:
Wicky_42 said:
Eh, bull. If it was serious, it would be up in a few more mainstream publictions, lol. Also, what is the article on about here?
The inventor will not be able to fully patent the Alpha Omega Galaxy Freefall Generator. He will only be able to patent certain parts of the machine. This is because the device claims to be a perpetual motion machine that generates more power than it uses.
You can't patent a perpetual motion machine? Why not?!
You can't patent it because it's using bike parts. He didn't make those bike parts, nor the plans for them.

I'd be very interested to see if this is real or not. I'd love to see some more proof of it and what kind of output of energy it gives.

Ampersand said:
*sigh* you said it, it uses gravity to produce more electricity then it consumes. It's utilizing acceleration due to gravity and converting the kinetic energy into electricity. I'm sure that very clever but it's not perpetual motion.......this is simple stuff people.
It looks like more of a generator, but it looks like a very clean and safe one.
There isn't a single patenting board in the world that will accept to patent PMM unless they see visual and scientific proof by government officials.
There are patents for flying nuclear-fusion powered cars... You can patent anything, evidently.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Ampersand said:
*sigh* you said it, it uses gravity to produce more electricity then it consumes. It's utilizing acceleration due to gravity and converting the kinetic energy into electricity. I'm sure that's very clever but it's not perpetual motion.......this is simple stuff people.
If that works as an source for electricity it might not be perpetual, but perhaps...well a nice source for electricity?

I dont know a bloody dirt about most physics so thats just my ~211 Sao Tome Dobras .

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
If you can break a law in science, that puts your name in science books. I'm going to wait until I know this guy's name (I never bothered to even read into it to see his name). Once I know that, then I'll start believing what he says. If I never learn it, then he didn't do anything worth note.

You can't patent a perpetual motion machine? Why not?!

It explains nothing
The patent office just has to see "perpetual motion" and that's an automatic fail, because ALL ESTABLISHED SCIENCE says that it's impossible, so the patent office will not patent perpetual motion machines, because in order to get a patent, your device actually has to do what you say it does (even if it does something stupid, it has to be able to do it), Perpetual motion is impossible, therefore it can't be patented. You could patent a machine that spines a wheel with a boot attached to it that kicks someone in the butt when they stand in the right place much easier then patenting a perpetual motion machine.

I'd actually go so far as to say that "perpetual motion" IS possible, in a completely frictionless environment.. But the idea that because something could potentially not stop moving could somehow create more energy then it uses by moving? That's poppycock I say! Poppycock!! Even if you got a perpetual motion machine, attaching a generator to it will invariably cause it to stop moving.

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
Fake and kind of neat.
Funny how they don't mention the creator's name and why it's not on the news yet.
Physics will make this thing cry.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
WorkerMurphey said:
Flac00 said:
WorkerMurphey said:
That's neat if it's legit but I find myself skeptical.
Its not, sorry to rain on your parade. As the article said, anyone who knows and understands physics, knows perpetual motion machines are impossible.
Certainly, my hope is/was more that it would be useful in some other capacity even if it requires outside energy.
I guess if it made a more efficient engine it might work, but basing it off of gravity is not a good idea. I say, the intensions may be good, I just hate the people who point at this and say that the gas companies are stopping this sort of research or some bull like that. But you have a good point.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Impossible. The saying "laws are meant to be broken" DOES NOT apply to physics, as the many "This Superman costume does not enable the wearer to fly" labels attest.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
The idea of this machine seems to be the following: Engine is used to turn a wheel with hanging weights attachted, so that the weight is on the top of the wheel. The engine turns off. Gravity pulls the weight down. This pull is used to generate electricity with a dynamo. This electriticy is used to turn the wheel etc. Here is WHY it doesn't work, aside from the fact that it doesnt:

m*g*h = W

W is the energy gained from lifting, or moving something for a certain distance (h) against gravity (g). This formula can be used to calculate the energy needed to pull the weight up. It also discribes the amout of energy, set free by letting it fall down again. So all is solid, right? AS much energy is consumed, as produced, but the thing still moves.

NO! Not all energy from the "fall" is turned into movement. A lot of it is used to move air around, to warm the parts of the machine, to bend parts of it for very small amounts. You loose energy. May be not in a detectable amount, during a small amout of time, but definatelty during an infinte amount of time.

You know these desk playthings with the balls on cords, that keep bumping? They don't move forever. But if you look them for one second, they mihgt look like they did.

10zack986

Dec 5, 2009
the antithesis said:
Electric companies pay power plants to not run to keep kilowatt costs up. They will prevent something like this from ever being produced for general consumption.
That's fucking retarded. If something like this REALLY existed, there would be nothing anyone could do to stop this.

SaturdayS

Nov 8, 2010
My child-like imagination makes me wonder if someone can't just arrange magnets in such a way that they repell themselves in a circle, generating electricity by their own force. Probably not strictly perpetual as it would weaken with time, but I would think it'd be rather efficient.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
This thread annoys me.

That machine and the people who created it annoy me.

The people who believed this story annoy me slightly less, but still annoy me.

Perpetual motion machines simply can't exist inside this universe. The most likely explanation is simply that those people made a very efficient flywheel and stopped filming before it stopped moving.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
mance200 said:
There's also that nothing can create it's own energy. The number of machines, plant life, animals, and all other living beings that can do it is astonishing.
what.
all energy on earth comes from solar energy. (photosynthesis) electrical (power plants or burning) or chemical (sugars. protiens. fats. and alcohols)

at least. thats what i think you meant.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
SaturdayS said:
My child-like imagination makes me wonder if someone can't just arrange magnets in such a way that they repell themselves in a circle, generating electricity by their own force. Probably not strictly perpetual as it would weaken with time, but I would think it'd be rather efficient.
nope. they would move at a tangent to the curve and would if fixed. not move at all due to the repulsion not being a one way force. sorry.

SaturdayS

Nov 8, 2010
vallorn said:
SaturdayS said:
nope. they would move at a tangent to the curve and would if fixed. not move at all due to the repulsion not being a one way force. sorry.
Good-bye, childhood.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
I'd love to belueve this, but even someone on Dragon's Den had some contraption that apperantly created more enegy than it was run on. The Dragon's said that they would endorse it IF he could prove it worked... It did not.

Likely it CONVERTS. Gravity makes things fall. a ball hanging in midair has Potential energy, a ball falling has kinect energy. This could be a great number of things, but I don't buy it.

To be honest, I don't buy anything with that ostentatious a name... The freewall, maybe, but come on.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Futurenerd said:
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TRULY PERPETUAL ENERGY.
GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS HUMANITY AND STOP BELIEVING THESE GUYS WHO SAY THEY'VE MADE THESE.
JEEZE.
Oi, use your inside voice!

I bet gravity is just making up for all the aspiring ninjas it has crushed.