Laws of physics broken as a perpetual motion machine was invented

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
First, let's recite the first rule of thermodynamics, shall we? It says that neither matter nor energy can be created or destroyed. Energy can be changed, moved, controlled, stored, or dissipated, but it cannot be produced from nothing or reduced to nothing. I guess the inventor of this machine didn't learn physics well enough in school, or something.

Dubbed the Alpha Omega Galaxy Freefall Generator, this device uses the power of gravity to produce more electricity than it consumes through perpetual motion.

This is what it looks like. It's mostly made from standard, run-of-the-mill bicycle parts (also the reason it cannot fully be patented) and uses a windscreen-washer motor. The inventor, a Somerset engineer, whose name isn't included in the article, predicts a fully commercial version of this could power a house.

link is here, with some extra clarification and a nifty video, as i'm sure this needs to be seen to be believed.
http://www.infoniac.com/hi-tech/latest-invention-perpetual-motion-device-that-produces-power-from-gravity.html

So, raise of hands - energy crisis solved or not? Also it's name. Just, wow.

Canadian Briton

May 1, 2010
Pfft this guy obviously got the idea from troll science.
Jokes aside if that is real and not a hoax it could become very important.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I call shenanigans.

Seriously someone comes out with one of these every couple of years, and it always proves false when testing is actually done. It's just another gas pill, or water engine.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
That is amazing!

I cannot make that sound more enthusiasic as it is typed.

[Edit]
Apparently this post didnt sound sarcastic enough.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
ChocoFace said:
First, let's recite the first rule of thermodynamics, shall we? It says that neither matter nor energy can be created or destroyed. Energy can be changed, moved, controlled, stored, or dissipated, but it cannot be produced from nothing or reduced to nothing. I guess the inventor of this machine didn't learn physics well enough in school, or something.

.....HOLY SHIT!!!!! They Finally did it!!! OMFG Did Troll Science actually work!! JESUS CHRIST We are all Screwed!!!

This is an awesome achievement!! I'm stunned *Sobs* It's so beautiful!!!!

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Well, if it's real, congratulations Somerset man, you've revolutionised the World Power problem.
And if it's a hoax, well, it's a hoax innit?

Hman121

Feb 26, 2009
I gotta call fake for now, until testing proves it, but more than likely it's a fake.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Canadian Briton said:
Pfft this guy obviously got the idea from troll science.
Jokes aside if that is real and not a hoax it could become very important.
I was thinking the same thing. Idk if troll science actually works but if it does I will eat Hat!!

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Madara XIII said:
ChocoFace said:

.....HOLY SHIT!!!!! They Finally did it!!! OMFG Did Troll Science actually work!! JESUS CHRIST We are all Screwed!!!

This is an awesome achievement!! I'm stunned *Sobs* It's so beautiful!!!!
Don't worry, as long as we say it's because of Higgs Boson science will survive :|

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
If it works as described D: wow!

Thats not a step forward more like a short train journey, be interesting to see what happens.

Free Thinker

Apr 23, 2010
If this works, I'm showing it to my physics teacher and telling him, "Your precious laws have been broken!"

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Actually I thought a perpetual motion machine requirement was not only to produce more energy than it uses, but to continually increase the level of energy production, basically making its production output infinitely exponential.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Eh, bull. If it was serious, it would be up in a few more mainstream publictions, lol. Also, what is the article on about here?
The inventor will not be able to fully patent the Alpha Omega Galaxy Freefall Generator. He will only be able to patent certain parts of the machine. This is because the device claims to be a perpetual motion machine that generates more power than it uses.
You can't patent a perpetual motion machine? Why not?!

It explains nothing
the machine could generate enough electricity to run a house. Hence the flywheel becomes its own source of electricity but with a slight amount of external input that is needed to turn on the machine.
Because it makes electricity, the flywheel become a source of electricity, needing electricity to turn on? What?

Besides, with the amount of rocking and shaking that machine was doing it doesn't seem to be the most efficient engine ever. With those sort of losses I can't even BEGIN to imagine that it works.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
What.

invisible text spacer

I know I'm going to sound like the guys who thought the earth was flat, but I simply don't believe it. It literally looks like someone dropped an arc welder on a scrap heap. I simply fail to see how it could possibly work.

OreoDoublestuff

Nov 18, 2009
Though such a thing, if it does what they say, isn't really breaking any law of physics. It seems to be merely converting the kinetic energy it derives from gravity into electricity; part of which is then used to overcome friction and air resistance.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I have no idea how this is supposed to work but I assume it has something to do with the rotation which is totally legit, because as everyone knows gravity only works locally and won't affect the moving up parts at all.

Not the first guy with a perpetual motion machine, I wonder if he'll be able to show the blueprints to some actual real scientists before the they magically dissolve into another form of energy.