Laws of physics broken as a perpetual motion machine was invented

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
Phsyics is breaking?
Tbh, I'm very sceptical. Not thoroughly convinced its not real, but pretty damn close.

Mainly because the bloke's from Somerset.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Soylent Bacon said:
I'm no physicist, but I think this is technically consuming kinetic energy. This consumes more electricity than it produces, not energy in general. Even if I'm getting that wrong, I have a strong feeling there is some amount of energy going into this that wasn't considered, detected, or explained correctly.

If it were just a theory of thermodynamics, I might believe in an invention that disproves it, but I doubt an established scientific law is going to be disproved by something like this. I'll believe it if various credible physicists start to accept this claim after careful observation and calculation.

Still, looks pretty damn cool, as well as useful.
Gravity is most likely the power going into it, it says it's "Gravity-powered."

Sallix

Apr 9, 2008
I call BS, it's a choppy video with no details on how it was made. Also the fact that it hasn't gone through a peer review process or anything similar fuels my cynicism. Seriously, if this ended up being true, this is Nobel prize winning stuff.

Raineheart

Mar 23, 2009
Call it by a shorter name that doesn't have me sounding like I just gargled ball bearings, and I'll approve of your little pinwheel thingy.

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
The machine looks like a fan with wheels strapped to it. It also appears to be in stop-motion, so I don't think that bodes well for its validity. If it were possibly true i'm not so sure they would ever use it because it would totally destroy the electric companies.

Edit: also the text is very hard to look at when the video describes the motor/rubberband thing

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, prove it please.
My scepticism knows no bounds in this case. I didn't think I could be as sceptical of something, but there you go.

I'm not even calling it, I'm stating it plainly:
Bull-fucking-shit.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Word on the conspiracy theorist front was that 'free energy' machines had existed for some time, but that energy supplier corporations were keeping them down.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
we don't have an energy crisis, we have had natural, renewable energy that would supply enough energy for entire world many time over for a long time, for years now. unfortunately the monetary system prevents such things from happening.

heres a link for the record: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVOPkGAtt48

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Ah, they make the scientific discovery of a life time, and of course... go straight to the press?

Seriously, if that isn't the biggest indicator of someone totally full of crap, I don't know what is. The press will spread the claim, and have no way of disproving it.

If this came via a peer reviewed journal stating it is was replicable by differing scientists, I'd be much more likely to even consider the claim.

deadxero

Sep 2, 2010
It's using gravitational force, therefore it is not a prepetual motion machine as there is an outside force driving it.

An interesting device, not an orriginal idea, not prepetual motion.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Oh here we go.

I?m all kinds of not buying this. Although I?m at least hoping they have come up with something that?s pretty damn energy efficient. Otherwise I will just be disappointed at their over excitability or lies as the case may be.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Mimsofthedawg said:
ChocoFace said:
First, let's recite the first rule of thermodynamics, shall we? It says that neither matter nor energy can be created or destroyed. Energy can be changed, moved, controlled, stored, or dissipated, but it cannot be produced from nothing or reduced to nothing. I guess the inventor of this machine didn't learn physics well enough in school, or something.

Dubbed the Alpha Omega Galaxy Freefall Generator, this device uses the power of gravity to produce more electricity than it consumes through perpetual motion.

This is what it looks like. It's mostly made from standard, run-of-the-mill bicycle parts (also the reason it cannot fully be patented) and uses a windscreen-washer motor. The inventor, a Somerset engineer, whose name isn't included in the article, predicts a fully commercial version of this could power a house.

link is here, with some extra clarification and a nifty video, as i'm sure this needs to be seen to be believed.
http://www.infoniac.com/hi-tech/latest-invention-perpetual-motion-device-that-produces-power-from-gravity.html

So, raise of hands - energy crisis solved or not? Also it's name. Just, wow.
it uses the power of gravity. In otherwords, it's not creating new energy, it's utilizing energy around it.

Your statement is like saying "Solar panels, using the power of the sun, make their own power completely free from the influences of other power sources!"

Ahem... POWER OF THE SUN.
except as it keeps going round it would have to use the same amount of energy to get back to the top of its path and since it apparently creates energy then it carnt "just" be 100% energy efficent

TRR

Jul 21, 2008
These are laws you can't break, this machine is BS. Any so called perpetual motion machine is BS. Any machine that claims to have an efficiency greater than 100% is insulting your intelligence.