League of Legends Muscles Past World of Warcraft

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Haha not bad.
I love LoL.
It really is a fun game thought honestly it gets pretty frustrating with the community, which is pretty bad.
Oh well, i have yet to play ranked but next time i get some extended time off i wanna try it.
Though im a pretty average player.
Still manage to carry as Teemo.
And Mordekaiser.
I freaking LOVE Mordekaiser.
Lord Morde is so cool looking, freaking 6 sided axe, nuff said.

And man cant we talk about LoL without pulling out our E-PenisElo?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Baldr said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Baldr said:
Those numbers are not so impressive compared to games that have paid subscribers or paying customers.
No matter how you slice it "Most played game on the planet" is pretty good, paying or no paying. And about 35% of players do pay for stuff.
Not even close to being the "Most played game on the planet" or anything like that. They only have less than half the number of MapleStory's Active Accounts (Over 100 million accounts, 23 million active.) And I don't even know the statistics on some facebook games.
actually it is the most played game on planet. counting the hours/week spent on games, LOL takes the cake, while WOW is down to 3rd place after being 1st for many years. whole facebook games have many accounts, they dont invesnt so much time into them as those whom we might call "hardcore".ye
prsonally, i dont play it, but i got a friend whos pretty high up there and i played it at his home, very addictive game.

Then again I'd like to know the stats for HoN, since I thought LoL was just a bit bigger then HoN, but not that big
HoN is in 12th place by hours played worldwide. though thats pretty nice in itself.

dghjdgdjf

Nov 9, 2009
Aprilgold said:
Krion_Vark said:
I love how they make mention to the amount of times a TEEMO dies in a day. I find that actually really really funny.
I chuckled too. I actually rape as Teemo, so don't show your ass near a bush, damnit.

JohnnyDelRay said:
Wow! Lol is bigger than wow, lol!

Hahaha sorry just had to do that, I know I'm an idiot. Those are some crazy stats though, but how about publishing the ones regarding paying customers?
Paying customers would still be around that number, simply due to low prices. If you mean people who spent more then X money then your getting closer, or X amounts of purchases, but the number will still be larger then WoW. Hell, if we look at the increase in Free-To-Play MMO's popularity as of late it will show that more people prefer the Free-To-Play method over the paying one.

Dimitriov said:
But, but... it's soooooooo boooooooring! D:<
Guess what, you activated my trap card.... Anyways, League of Legends, HoN or any other Dota style game are actually very fast paced, very pubstomping or very god damn boring depending on how your playing and how well your doing. Its more about finding out which one fits how you want to play rather then the game itself.....
Seriuosly, if League of Legends is boring then I'd love to hear what you think of the repetitiveness of quests in WoW.
LoL isn't fast paced.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Unfortunately, I contribute quite a bit to the Teemo death statistics...

Timmons

Mar 23, 2010
how is this possible?!?! fidgoiduwhpqudsiuabs... oh yeah mists of pandaria, nice one blizzard

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Strazdas said:
Baldr said:
Baldr said:
Those numbers are not so impressive compared to games that have paid subscribers or paying customers.
No matter how you slice it "Most played game on the planet" is pretty good, paying or no paying. And about 35% of players do pay for stuff.
Not even close to being the "Most played game on the planet" or anything like that. They only have less than half the number of MapleStory's Active Accounts (Over 100 million accounts, 23 million active.) And I don't even know the statistics on some facebook games.
actually it is the most played game on planet. counting the hours/week spent on games, LOL takes the cake, while WOW is down to 3rd place after being 1st for many years. whole facebook games have many accounts, they dont invesnt so much time into them as those whom we might call "hardcore".ye
prsonally, i dont play it, but i got a friend whos pretty high up there and i played it at his home, very addictive game.

Then again I'd like to know the stats for HoN, since I thought LoL was just a bit bigger then HoN, but not that big
HoN is in 12th place by hours played worldwide. though thats pretty nice in itself.
Not every game measures those statistics, so they are invalid to compare, but I would also like to know your source, I never seen a list like that.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
I like League of Legends. I wish it liked ME more, but anyway. When many of my friends play at high levels (and Kyle Danger Henick is one my close friends) I have to play.

LoL just has the 3rd worst community on the planet. Even the players admit it.

I like how for the stats they show HotShotQQ, the poster child for why people hate LoL. Not wise marketing.

"OH MY F**KING GOD NUNU? WHY? WHY NUNU WHY? WHY THE F**K ARE YOU SO KOREAN YOU F***KING IDIOT"

HotShotQQ, 3 weeks ago during a major tournament being streamed.
100% this, you can't play 3 games without running into a bad mood hotshotgg clone that does nothing but complain and blame others for his misfortune. Love the game, love the competition, but the community is composed of nothing but dicks. The ignore feature does not ignore enough!

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
/sigh

Riot is doing so well yet they can't make a decent mac client for those of us who don't want to spend 200+ on Windows.

The real test for LoL will be how it compares to Dota2 by Valve.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
correct me if im wrong but it seems like LoL might be bigger than WoW because it been the reciever of all of wow's discontent

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
Not sure how one can compare an MMO(Like WoW) to League of Legends a dota style game. It's like saying Starcraft is bigger then Halo. Not alot of crossover except gamers play games.
*boggle*

WoW discontent is mostly just bored people wanting something new or people complaining as is tend to happen.

Anyway, believe it or not Hotshot while raging is a good player and to be honest nothing he says compares to some of the smacktalk you'll hear in some shooters or a fighting game tourney. Whatever it is, it's popular and he can make a living off of it.

If you want a more chill player, Shushei or Bob chill duders even if Shushei is bit of a troll at times.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
ionveau said:
Abedeus said:
While a lot of players are really bad, not everyone is either trash or god-tier. I think I'm decent (1450 last season). It's a negative mindset with just how many leavers, grievers, and trolls LoL has.
Of course not.

0.3% of players are god-tier. Gold bracket is very good. Silver is mediocre.

If you are bronze, below or unranked, you are trash, speaking objectively :/ I mean, you can win in 1300-1400 games by smashing your forehead on the keyboard.

EcksTeaSea said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Doesn't help that about half of these people are terrible.
And I suppose you're at 1800 ELO?
I don't do Ranked. Though my Normal ELO is roughly 1730.
Normal Elo is worth nothing.

Im sorry i dont consider a game with a cash shop,permanent Leveling Permanent boosts and in game money system as competitive at all.

Talk to me when you get master in Starcraft
I'm sorry I don't consider a game with a $60 entrance fee and published by ActiBlizzard as competitive.

And do you know what you can buy with cash in LoL? Clearly not. Skins, and if you please champs.

Any performance boosters (IE: runes) have to be purchased through currency earned in game. But you can't let that get in the way of wanting to hate something, now can you?

Facts: Fuck 'em, I'm too busy hating.

Shifty Tortoise

Sep 10, 2008
This is possibly the most pointless news story i've seen here.

The Excellent free to play game has more players than the Excellent subscription based game of a completely different genre.

On the other hand i do like cool graphs and charts...

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Deeleted said:
Aprilgold said:
Paying customers would still be around that number, simply due to low prices. If you mean people who spent more then X money then your getting closer, or X amounts of purchases, but the number will still be larger then WoW. Hell, if we look at the increase in Free-To-Play MMO's popularity as of late it will show that more people prefer the Free-To-Play method over the paying one.

Dimitriov said:
But, but... it's soooooooo boooooooring! D:<
Guess what, you activated my trap card.... Anyways, League of Legends, HoN or any other Dota style game are actually very fast paced, very pubstomping or very god damn boring depending on how your playing and how well your doing. Its more about finding out which one fits how you want to play rather then the game itself.....
Seriuosly, if League of Legends is boring then I'd love to hear what you think of the repetitiveness of quests in WoW.
LoL isn't fast paced.
First of all, you need to act more on that, saying "LoL isn't fast paced" Is a blatant lie, its like saying a fighting game isn't fast paced, which is basically what Dota style games are like from a top down perspective. You actually broke a Escapist rule since thats low amount of info, I.E. you could have a strike put against you for not speaking more on the matter.

Have you played it? Trying to state that its 'not fast paced' is just a lie, one champion can be very feed heavy while another is a jungler, while many more are more about brute strength. Just because a game takes more or less a hour to complete does not make it slow paced. Its just long. Like stated before, its just playstyle, I like to try and damage many of the opponents towers and champions themselves early game, while others like to spend time in the jungle and ETC. You have nothing really to show that I'm wrong so I'm guessing that I'm right since you didn't want to argue with me. Your post offers nothing to talk about and nothing to counter attack at, its just pointless, really.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Baldr said:
Strazdas said:
Baldr said:

Not every game measures those statistics, so they are invalid to compare, but I would also like to know your source, I never seen a list like that.
While it is true that you cant have ultimate statistic in that, it is still a better way of counting than by subscription amount, due to the sheer fact of millions of subscriptions existing that are not and never will be used again. an active games need an active measuring, and hours spent for it is the best way to count it, or at least better than by a subscription counts.
i compile the list from multitude of sources that calculate it, like xfire, steam, raptr, psn, and other various places that count such statistics. while they do not include all games, nor all gamers, especially when talking about singleplayer-based games, it is as close to real counting as you can get. also services such as steam has a nice tendency to ignore the pirated game plays so only those who have bought legal copies are counted, thus further skewing real statistics. because lets face it, there are a lot of people playing illegally downloaded games. however it gets easier when it comes to online games due to the fact that most have to legally purchased to play online and they also require you to be signed into some service or another by now which counts them.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Aprilgold said:
I've got to admit I find the pay for extras like skins to be a lot better method for me than the monthly fee plan. Some times I like to take a break from a game but with the monthly pay plan it feels like I'm throwing away money by not playing. On a pay for extras plan I really don't feel like I'm throwing away money when I'm not playing and I don't have to deal with all the hassle of subscribe and unsubscribe to play or take breaks.

Perhaps if enough people go to the free to play instead of monthly fee to play games we will have one of those old man moments of "eh, I'm so old I remember when you had give a company money every month just to play their game".

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Abedeus said:
EcksTeaSea said:
Abedeus said:

EcksTeaSea said:
EcksTeaSea said:
I would like to disagree. Play Blind Pick for 2500+ games. Just praying you have a semi decent team comp to counter whatever the hell the enemy has picked. Blind Pick forces you to adapt to whatever the situation is in the moment, while at least in Ranked you have some knowledge of what you're going to face. Ranked might have the majority of bad people, but Normals are even worse. Just because Normal ELO isn't shown, doesn't make it any different from Ranked.
Actually it does. I have over 2k games in normals. Why it is worth shit?

1. You don't lose Elo for queue dodging.
2. There is no difference between winning a game against level 30s or level 5s.
3. You can queue with people who barely know how to hit buttons (i.e. levels under 30) even if you are 30.
4. It's BLIND PICK. That doesn't measure skill. It's 90% luck.
5. It's hidden. You don't know how much you have it. No, you can't just multiply wins and losses by 12 and subtract.
6. It's best if you stop thinking anyone cares about normal games.

ionveau said:
Abedeus said:
While a lot of players are really bad, not everyone is either trash or god-tier. I think I'm decent (1450 last season). It's a negative mindset with just how many leavers, grievers, and trolls LoL has.
Of course not.

0.3% of players are god-tier. Gold bracket is very good. Silver is mediocre.

If you are bronze, below or unranked, you are trash, speaking objectively :/ I mean, you can win in 1300-1400 games by smashing your forehead on the keyboard.

EcksTeaSea said:
EcksTeaSea said:

Im sorry i dont consider a game with a cash shop,permanent Leveling Permanent boosts and in game money system as competitive at all.

Talk to me when you get master in Starcraft
What the bloody hell are you talking about, exactly? Cash shop? You mean I've played the game for over a year and I didn't know you can buy level 18 at start of every game, or start with 10k gold?!

Permanent leveling? Yeah, you have to play about 200 games to get to level 30... because putting people with 10 games played against or with people who played 1000 games is fair and competitive?

Permanent boosts? What? No boost is permanent, and none of them affect the gameplay.

In game money system? Yeah, those SKINS you can buy are incredibly game-breaking.

I guess you don't consider DotA 2 competitive either.
im sorry i understand you have too much invested in this game to see it in any other light. again i'm sorry.
to help you explain my frustration, the rune system is a thing that locks you to your account, and makes it so that you start the game with an invisible item that no one can see, in dota that would be kinda overpowered, This and the mastery system make your account hold the skill while to slowly add-on to it by grinding, even DOTA plyers know that the game has a very low skill cap after that its just good hero picks+grouping, LOL throws this on its face by locking out almost all champions leaving you with 10 champions out of 90 meaning you wont be able to make good group setups unless your very grind happy or buy it, my friend straight up refused to play LOL after he saw you where given 10 champions and needed to unlock the rest, he called it a competitive game for WoW players.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ionveau said:
im sorry i understand you have too much invested in this game to see it in any other light. again i'm sorry.
to help you explain my frustration, the rune system is a thing that locks you to your account, and makes it so that you start the game with an invisible item that no one can see, in dota that would be kinda overpowered, This and the mastery system make your account hold the skill while to slowly add-on to it by grinding, even DOTA plyers know that the game has a very low skill cap after that its just good hero picks+grouping, LOL throws this on its face by locking out almost all champions leaving you with 10 champions out of 90 meaning you wont be able to make good group setups unless your very grind happy or buy it, my friend straight up refused to play LOL after he saw you where given 10 champions and needed to unlock the rest, he called it a competitive game for WoW players.

I like how you edited your post to avoid report and ban.

Rune system - yeah it's horrible that you can customize your champion. Invisible item no one can see? Sure they can. I am pretty God damn sure you can see if someone has AP runes, or HP quints or even notice bonus HP regen during game. Except that EVERYONE can get those runes. And you can't buy them with real money.

Okay, some numbers. There are 14 champions for free every week, rotations change. Some champions are 4 wins to unlock. More complex (old-school, at least, like Karthus or Anivia) are more expensive, and newer ones are more expensive because it's a business. And they reduce old champions' prices every now and then to keep it balanced (from 3150IP to 1350).

Did you even understand what I said about leveling? It prevents at least partially pubstomps where someone who played 1000 games is matched against someone who is 10 games. It's worse than a bot game, because bots at least can hit keys and know what their abilities do. You can see what happens when sometimes a group of 30, 30, 30, 30, 5 is grouped against a full 30 team. The guy who is 5 is a dead weight in 99% of the games. Not because of masteries. Or because of runes. Hell I can win a lane with physical champion using caster runes (and seen pro gamers do it at high Elo games) against another physical using correct runes. It's a matter of SKILL and EXPERIENCE.

Because sometimes you still get idiots who got to 30, full runepage and still suck.

Also, if you find me a new Moba that is F2P, doesn't require you to unlock characters with in-game currency or money shop and is competitive like LoL, I'll give you $1000. DotA 2 doesn't count, still beta.

What I find enjoyable is that DotA players claim the skill cap in LoL is low. Yeah, sure, you don't have to learn how to use the overcomplicated shop or minimalistic minimap. Except if you actually played LoL, you'd notice the difference between level 10 and level 30, and then 1200 Elo and 1500 elo, then 1500 elo and 2k elo.

Heaven and earth. Also I find it weird, so many DotA players claim LoL is easy, but they don't want to come here, make a team and win some free money prizes? I don't get it, it should be so easy...