League of Legends Tournament: LGBT Players Have "Unfair Advantage" - Update

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Oh come on! They can't even tell us what the advantages are? Because I really want to know. I am honestly curious as to what type of crazy theory people came up with that says liking the same sex gives you an advantage in video games.
Don't you know? Lesbians have psychic powers. Gay men have faster reflexes. Transgendered people have fire breath.
If these attributes don't constitute an unfair advantage I don't know what does. I fully support the ruining.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Please tell me this is a ruling concerning the rare Luminescent Great Battle Tyrannosaurus.....

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What? That's awful.

"We always want to make sure we are able to have an inclusive environment where no one feels left out, and of course for everybody to enjoy,"

Oh, in that case it's ok then.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Scorpid said:
... so trangendered men are good to go? Also I'm confused by transgendered women. Is it natural females transitioning to males or males transitioning to females? If your going to be a bigot at least tell us exactly what it is you are aiming at exactly. Oh what does it matter you're wrong anyway.

Also the idea there needs to be a girls only tournament at all seems bizarre. Are women at a natural advantage/disadvantage in league or are the men such savages that they can't control themselves around female competitors.
Yeah, that whole confusion thing isn't helped by the contrast between the medical literature and the communities themselves.

According to medical literature, especially papers written in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's, a transgender man is someone who was born male that has transitioned to female, and a transgender woman is a person born female that has transitioned to male.

Unfortunately, (for reasons that should be obvious if you consider the psychology of it), the people that this actually affects have defined it in such a way that a transgender man is someone who was born female and transitioned to male, and a transgender woman is someone who was born a male and transitioned to female.

As you can see, these definitions are wholly contradictory.

Obviously, the politically correct answer is the latter one, but because these words terms get thrown about by everyone no matter what their beliefs on the subject, the confusion persists, because certain members of group that disagrees with what transgender people are doing, (whether it's possible, whether it should be allowed, etc), persist in using the old medical definitions, that contradict what is now the mainstream usage (insofar as you can say there is a mainstream definition for a term like this)

That old medical documents also incorrectly (to modern understanding) use reversed terminology really doesn't help matters, since it means for any given document you read you inevitably first have to decode which definition is in use, otherwise nothing written on the subject will make any sense.

On topic, this whole thing seems absurd, and it makes you wonder what the underlying reasoning behind these rules is.
A blanket ban on LGBT participants in general is especially absurd.
Not that banning trans-people alone is particularly fair, but at least you can follow the reasoning involved (however flawed the logic behind it may be.)
But banning lesbians and bisexuals? That makes very little sense on any level...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
inu-kun said:
I find it pretty ironic that in an event discriminating man from entering they are being blamed of discrimination for restricting LGBT from entering
So do professional sports discriminate against women now?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
They released an update in which they say they've rescinded their decision due to the feedback and made it open to all.
http://esports.garena.ph/newsArticle.php?contentid=00000604

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Denamic said:
They released an update in which they say they've rescinded their decision due to the feedback and made it open to all.
http://esports.garena.ph/newsArticle.php?contentid=00000604
They have, actually, but probably not the way you meant it. When you said "open to all" you were presumably using a bullshit definition of "all" which actually means "...unless you're a guy." But seeing as they literally say the only thing you need to do to get around that rule is to claim you are a woman, a team of guys can compete anyway and they can't do a damn thing about it.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Its pretty hilariously silly all round. Best was the twitter response. I saw some comments on twitter along the lines of "They fear the finger dexterity of lesbians, just be glad they don't let us play with our tongues."

And someone else pointed out: What if a lesbian teammate was to ask out one of her teammates and she agreed? Would they be disqualified for having two lesbians?

I can see why they did this...the potential chance (however unlikely) outlined on the other page about high-level teams saying they identify as female purely to get their hands on the prize funds. But its been HORRIBLY handled. I agree with the earlier comment of a "may ban without reason" clause being far better for this and a far more sensitive way of saying "don't even think about trying this".

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
inu-kun said:
I find it pretty ironic that in an event discriminating man from entering they are being blamed of discrimination for restricting LGBT from entering
That was the first thing I noticed while reading article
[sub][sub][sub]Don't get me wrong, discriminating against people based on their sexuality is awful too[/sub][/sub][/sub]
BUT WHY THE FUCK THERE IS FEMALE TOURNAMENT FOR VIDEO GAMES TO BEGIN WITH???
Unless I missed something and women have reaction time of snail, it makes no fucking sense.
Existence of female tournaments for non-physical activities has strong "ladies you suck, that is why you're playing in this cushioned sandbox" vibe.
You are either good at something or not.
I have a novel idea. Lets have video game tournaments for blacks- we all know they are dumb as bricks, so it is unfair for them to compete with superior races. Right? RIGHT???
Equality? What's that? Let's segregate everything and everyone.

Captcha: Very doubtful
I start to suspect that captcha can see future.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Madame_Lawliet said:
That's some bullshit right there, I cannot even begin to imagine what they were thinking.
Because LGBT people always band together when they want competition and not co-operation?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Well, this is odd. One day they are talking about how LGBT people are inferior in every way and are freaks of nature, and now they are talking about how LGBT people might be superior in some way and might have some kind of advantage. I just don't get this kind of mental gymnastics that some people manage to pull off.

This is discrimination no matter which way you look at it. Can't we all just get along?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
That's funny how did a joke Taco News post get on the front page of the Esca... oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well now I'm not sure whether to laugh at the ridiculousness of it or be depressed someone actually thought that banning LBGT players was a good idea for creating a level field.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Laggyteabag said:
Well, this is odd. One day they are talking about how LGBT people are inferior in every way and are freaks of nature, and now they are talking about how LGBT people might be superior in some way and might have some kind of advantage. I just don't get this kind of mental gymnastics that some people manage to pull off.
Eh, same sort of thing happens with racism. Black people are naturally inferior, but the Williams sisters have an edge by being naturally muscly due to being black. Or Asians are buck toothed weedy people with bad eyesight, who are naturally masters of kung fu.

The mental gymnastics is impressive, yeah.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I was baited to click the link with an outrageous explanation for why LGBT players would have an unfair advantage. I was sorely disappointed :(

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
CrystalShadow said:
Not that banning trans-people alone is particularly fair, but at least you can follow the reasoning involved (however flawed the logic behind it may be.)
But banning lesbians and bisexuals? That makes very little sense on any level...
They are not banning "lesbians" or "trans-people", but the bakla [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakla].

The clear distinction between heterosexuals, lesbians, bisexuals, and transsexuals, is a modern western concept that the Philippines don't happen to entirely share.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Entitled said:
CrystalShadow said:
They are not banning "lesbians" or "trans-people", but the bakla [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakla].

The clear distinction between heterosexuals, lesbians, bisexuals, and transsexuals, is a modern western concept that the Philippines don't happen to entirely share.
Inevitably, things get lost in translation. Ideally, this would be explained in the article, but somewhere along the way someone made naïeve loose translation, without explaining any context, someone then extrapolated from this dubious translation, presumably someone then copied this, and here we are left picking up the pieces based on a difference in culture that the article completely failed to mention, and even extrapolates on in a way that would make no sense in its original context.

Ugh. Sometimes, the internet's tendency to prefer speed over any degree of fact checking is very annoying.