League of Legends Tournament: LGBT Players Have "Unfair Advantage" - Update

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It only took a lot of people throwing hate their way to simply make the most reasonable change. From the beginning it made perfect sense to let anyone who self identifies as a woman play in the tournament. This whole LGBT ruling was nonsense from the beginning.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
reversed or not the level of stupid at play here is just unreal.

what exactly, is this 'unfair advantage' supposed to be anyway, or is it just as I suspect, just a load of bull to cover the organizers not really liking people who are LGTB

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
lesbians and trans have special vidya-game super powers...oh my sides

josemlopes said:
I mean, is it discriminating transgenders if the purpose is to give focus and attention to female gamers?
yes because transwomen are women

as for the rest of your reasoning...the problem is that your underestimating the effect expectations/assumptions can have on people...almost everything guys do is a given, they are rarely ever questioned [footnote/](unless of coarse its comething considered feminine)[/footnote]

its the same reason any other group has its own spaces...because the existing space is not made for them

Alma Mare said:
Gotta love that even after being spoon-fed the reason behind this (incredibly stupid) ruling the average Escapist still goes on a tirade about gender equality and social justice. Beautiful.
except they were going to do it the first place...

Scorpid said:
... so trangendered men are good to go?
no because they're men

trans-man = man

trans-woman = woman

there ya go

[quote/]Also the idea there needs to be a girls only tournament at all seems bizarre. Are women at a natural advantage/disadvantage in league or are the men such savages that they can't control themselves around female competitors.[/quote]
I already said this before but sometimes groups need their own space because the existing one is not made for them

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Gotta love that even after being spoon-fed the reason behind this (incredibly stupid) ruling the average Escapist still goes on a tirade about gender equality and social justice. Beautiful.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
They should get rid of the women's tournament all together. If you can't compete, don't compete. As always winning a womens tournament means nothing.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Vivi22 said:
Xiado said:
I understand the Trans and not wanting a biological male competing in the female division of a sport, but why lesbian?
What the fuck does being transgender have to do with not being able to play a video game against players of their identified gender?

Before anyone says anything stupid I'll state flat out that it has nothing to do with it. And if this were a competitive game in a western nation we probably wouldn't even have separate male/female divisions.

Anyway, the organizers of this tournament need to be taken out back and shot.
It is a competitive game in western nations and the pro leagues are open for men and women alike. Problem is that women just don't compete. The LoL circuit has, to my knowledge, never had a single female pro. I'm sure the reasons for that are complicated and many. So the idea to make female-only tournaments as a springboard into the competitive scene is a good one, in my opinion.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
whereswarren said:
Could you please explain your points a little more clearly? No offence intended, I'd just like to understand your point of view.
In that I don't believe the person you quoted is wrong in the regard to why this ruling was made, but it doesn't make it any less silly. If you want to avoid people exploiting lax or vague rulings in relation to who can enter a tourney, you don't go after the assumed guise that these people might take. If you want straight men not to abuse these rules, have, as a previous poster suggested, a "we'll remove you for reasons we feel are appropriate" rule so that you don't have to deal with them. Instead it drew attention because of poor communication and lack of foresight. Even beyond the surface level, it feels like a throw-away in terms of decision making.

Either way, not an issue anymore, so there it is.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I would like to know, what advantage they thought the LGBT community possessed. And professional gaming isn't the same as athletic based sports, one gender doesn't have an advantage over the other, there shouldn't be a Men's and Women's divisions. Just lump them all on the same teams.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
This might just be the flimsiest excuse I've ever seen used in an attempt to justify discrimination.

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
All i see here is some breeders trying to put down the gay man due to our superior gaming skill! /s

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
deth2munkies said:
It sucks, but some kind of rule like this is a necessity in gendered tournaments in order to preserve the integrity of the event. It has nothing to do with suggesting that females are worse at gaming or anything like that. Merely that they're underrepresented currently, and the entire point of the tournament is to give female teams exposure to hopefully go pro and bring some diversity to the scene.
If you have to clearly ban all males to the point of even banning male teams that identify as female for them not to "clean house" with then then yes it very clearly implies that females are worse at the game. because if the female teams were as good, just not as exposed, they wouldnt loose here.

Doom972 said:
How do they even enforce this? Do they ask participants what their sexual orientation when they register? That alone sounds offensive to anyone regardless of sexual orientation.
uh, what? asking your sexual orientation is offensive? this is exacly whats wrong with the whole "offense" culture.

inu-kun said:
I find it pretty ironic that in an event discriminating man from entering they are being blamed of discrimination for restricting LGBT from entering
didnt you get the memo. discriminating against males are impossible just like raping males are impossible. You can even suggest of such things happening ever without adopting variuos labels feminists like to throw around.

Risingblade said:
The reason is because there are barely any female players in the tournament leagues. Pretty much 0 in the world championships, so pretty much the idea was probably to get more women involved in pro play.
so instead of having sports where the best people win we must have sports that made sure that a number of females win because gender quotas.

Xiado said:
Same reason why Usain Bolt can't say he identifies as a woman and then set sprinting records that no woman is capable of beating.
So you are saying that males have biological superiority in videogames?

McElroy said:
And thus the pro-scene remained 100% male. The End.
because no female has managed to play as well as a male and they required special tournament just for them, right?

Alma Mare said:
probably because the reason is sexism.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Deathfish15 said:
Scorpid said:
... so trangendered men are good to go? Also I'm confused by transgendered women. Is it natural females transitioning to males or males transitioning to females? If your going to be a bigot at least tell us exactly what it is you are aiming at exactly. Oh what does it matter you're wrong anyway.

Also the idea there needs to be a girls only tournament at all seems bizarre. Are women at a natural advantage/disadvantage in league or are the men such savages that they can't control themselves around female competitors.
Hit the nail right on the freakin' head. Men are assholes to other men in the game, but when they find out a woman is in their match it becomes far worse and degrading. The vulgarity turns up 20 fold and it becomes a nightmarish scene similar to that of a lone woman walking down middle row in between prison blocks. Yes, LoLers can be compared to prisons in vulgarity and social disgust.

O.T. I think their wording is wrong on this and they went to broad with the regulation. I completely understand that they don't want teams filled with males identifying as females or post-op sex changed males either. They want a tournament for women to be strictly for women and not male dominated through circumstances (i.e. extreme circumcision)
As much as I like a good trash talking, since this is supposed to be PROFESSIONAL tournament why not release rules regulating level of trash talk (with disqualification being punishment)?
I don't know much about LoL, but I can't believe it is played mainly by uncontrollable assholes or that you have much time to trash talk during games themselves.

P.S. Also I hope that for shit'n'giggles they pit winners of this hugbox tournament against winners of actual tournament.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Strazdas said:
Doom972 said:
How do they even enforce this? Do they ask participants what their sexual orientation when they register? That alone sounds offensive to anyone regardless of sexual orientation.
uh, what? asking your sexual orientation is offensive? this is exacly whats wrong with the whole "offense" culture.
Context is everything. When answering this question is a condition in order to participate in a video game tournament, it is offensive to many people who don't like answering very personal questions for strangers.

Anyway, it looks like their intention was to prevent genetically male participants from joining the tournament, and that they eventually decided to just make it all-inclusive and allow everyone who identifies as female to join.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Doom972 said:
Strazdas said:
Doom972 said:
Context is everything. When answering this question is a condition in order to participate in a video game tournament, it is offensive to many people who don't like answering very personal questions for strangers.

Anyway, it looks like their intention was to prevent genetically male participants from joining the tournament, and that they eventually decided to just make it all-inclusive and allow everyone who identifies as female to join.
In the words of Stefen Fry - well, so fucking what?

It does not matter what is "offensive". "offensive" is meaningless, nothing more than pointless whine. All it says is "i dont like it therefore noone should". If you have a tournament that is discriminating against non-females, then its perfectly reasonable to expect it to ask you if you are a female.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
deth2munkies said:
Basically what they're scared of is a male LPL team suddenly identifying themselves as female to just clean up the tournament. I mean that's the problem with gendered tournaments nowadays. The whole point is to get women into playing LoL at a high level and get some more exposure to hopefully fix the 100% male pro scene. You can't really do that if guys exploit the ridiculous sensitivity displayed to the issue by just claiming they've always identified as female. It's not something you can actually refute since it's an internal state of mind, and trying to find actual brightlines is just a minefield to the politically correct.

It sucks, but some kind of rule like this is a necessity in gendered tournaments in order to preserve the integrity of the event. It has nothing to do with suggesting that females are worse at gaming or anything like that. Merely that they're underrepresented currently, and the entire point of the tournament is to give female teams exposure to hopefully go pro and bring some diversity to the scene.

EDIT: The best way to actually do this without causing a fuss is a simple "may disqualify any team for any reason" clause, which would let them spontaneously stop this kind of abuse, but not have to seem intolerant.
Why did they have to say that gays might have an unfair advantage, instead of "to stop people from gaming the rules"? It's themselves who's making them look like idiots.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Jandau said:
I'm a butch lesbian trapped in a man's body. Can I join?
Yes. Crush your enemies. Hear the lamentations of their women. Watch them tie themselves in knots trying to say you're not a woman without saying you're not a woman.