League of Legends Tournament: LGBT Players Have "Unfair Advantage" - Update

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Ugh... why is it that whenever my country is mentioned, it's always negative.

OT: Well the thing is the LGBT community here in the Philippines is still being seen as a stigma. No surprise since we are the only Major Catholic country in all of Asia. Not only that priests tend to interfere we the politics here and they tend to sway votes come election time.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
A necessary ruling, I'm sure we are all familiar with the superior gaming prowess an average member of the LBGT community possess and agree having even one LBGT on a team is already enough of an advantage as it is.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
How do they even enforce this? Do they ask participants what their sexual orientation when they register? That alone sounds offensive to anyone regardless of sexual orientation.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Doom972 said:
How do they even enforce this? Do they ask participants what their sexual orientation when they register? That alone sounds offensive to anyone regardless of sexual orientation.
You're then forced to make out with a man, a woman and a couple of transsexuals (in a random order) to prove it.

whereswarren

Feb 4, 2015
deth2munkies said:
Basically what they're scared of is a male LPL team suddenly identifying themselves as female to just clean up the tournament. I mean that's the problem with gendered tournaments nowadays. The whole point is to get women into playing LoL at a high level and get some more exposure to hopefully fix the 100% male pro scene. You can't really do that if guys exploit the ridiculous sensitivity displayed to the issue by just claiming they've always identified as female. It's not something you can actually refute since it's an internal state of mind, and trying to find actual brightlines is just a minefield to the politically correct.

It sucks, but some kind of rule like this is a necessity in gendered tournaments in order to preserve the integrity of the event. It has nothing to do with suggesting that females are worse at gaming or anything like that. Merely that they're underrepresented currently, and the entire point of the tournament is to give female teams exposure to hopefully go pro and bring some diversity to the scene.

EDIT: The best way to actually do this without causing a fuss is a simple "may disqualify any team for any reason" clause, which would let them spontaneously stop this kind of abuse, but not have to seem intolerant.
Only person that gets it.

whereswarren

Feb 4, 2015
deth2munkies said:
Basically what they're scared of is a male LPL team suddenly identifying themselves as female to just clean up the tournament. I mean that's the problem with gendered tournaments nowadays. The whole point is to get women into playing LoL at a high level and get some more exposure to hopefully fix the 100% male pro scene. You can't really do that if guys exploit the ridiculous sensitivity displayed to the issue by just claiming they've always identified as female. It's not something you can actually refute since it's an internal state of mind, and trying to find actual brightlines is just a minefield to the politically correct.

It sucks, but some kind of rule like this is a necessity in gendered tournaments in order to preserve the integrity of the event. It has nothing to do with suggesting that females are worse at gaming or anything like that. Merely that they're underrepresented currently, and the entire point of the tournament is to give female teams exposure to hopefully go pro and bring some diversity to the scene.

EDIT: The best way to actually do this without causing a fuss is a simple "may disqualify any team for any reason" clause, which would let them spontaneously stop this kind of abuse, but not have to seem intolerant.

Sorry, double post on my first post here -_-, can't seem to delete it either.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
I thought this was a gaming-competition, not a fuck your same sex friends- competition.

Really, this is retarted as can be.

whereswarren

Feb 4, 2015
Xiado said:
I understand the Trans and not wanting a biological male competing in the female division of a sport, but why lesbian?
As was stated previously, painting with a broad brush as to not offend a particular group.

Like deth2munkies suggested the best way to actually do this without causing a fuss is a simple "may disqualify any team for any reason" clause.

I thought there would be less immature commentary on this forum also, tbh.

Does anyone moderate this?

small

Aug 5, 2014
damn the phillipines is on to the secret superpowers that ever lgbt person naturally has

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Oh, so *now* discrimination is bad. What did these idiots expect from a tournament specifically set up to exclude half the population?

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
whereswarren said:
Yes and no. Given it is true, which is likely, it does show some inexperience running events like this (especially outside an all-male demographic). Still silly though.
List said:
deth2munkies said:
Basically what they're scared of is a male LPL team suddenly identifying themselves as female to just clean up the tournament.
I'm pretty sure this is the reason. A lot of people still think that male gamers are better than female ones. And I'm also sure some guys wouldn't mind acting gay to get a chance at that tournament prize.

If there's no limit, I'm pretty sure more than 3/4 of the competitors will be "gay" guys... *wink**wink*

But then again this is an e-sport, so there's really should be no advantage for a male player against female ones.
There is an actual reasoning behind the whole "dudes have the advantage" and that's mostly those that have displayed the ability to participate or HAVE participated at the pro-level that abuse lax or obscure rules to get ahead and make money. It's unlikely, but as another poster has pointed out, it's much better to have a "we will remove you for anything we deem as foul play" type ruling rather than one that caters specifically, given the issue is sensitive as it is.

It is a bit dumb when looked at through the "they had a reason" lens, because even if the reason was the one previously stated, the wording is really... -really- dumb.

Either way, Rito will likely sort this out given their immediate response. It's a bit out there otherwise.
Grumman said:
Oh, so *now* discrimination is bad. What did these idiots expect from a tournament specifically set up to exclude half the population?
I... don't think Riot has any rules against not-male teams as a blanket ruling anywhere, does it?

whereswarren

Feb 4, 2015
Ferisar said:
whereswarren said:
Yes and no. Given it is true, which is likely, it does show some inexperience running events like this (especially outside an all-male demographic). Still silly though.
List said:
deth2munkies said:
Basically what they're scared of is a male LPL team suddenly identifying themselves as female to just clean up the tournament.
I'm pretty sure this is the reason. A lot of people still think that male gamers are better than female ones. And I'm also sure some guys wouldn't mind acting gay to get a chance at that tournament prize.

If there's no limit, I'm pretty sure more than 3/4 of the competitors will be "gay" guys... *wink**wink*

But then again this is an e-sport, so there's really should be no advantage for a male player against female ones.
There is an actual reasoning behind the whole "dudes have the advantage" and that's mostly those that have displayed the ability to participate or HAVE participated at the pro-level that abuse lax or obscure rules to get ahead and make money. It's unlikely, but as another poster has pointed out, it's much better to have a "we will remove you for anything we deem as foul play" type ruling rather than one that caters specifically, given the issue is sensitive as it is.

It is a bit dumb when looked at through the "they had a reason" lens, because even if the reason was the one previously stated, the wording is really... -really- dumb.

Either way, Rito will likely sort this out given their immediate response. It's a bit out there otherwise.
Could you please explain your points a little more clearly? No offence intended, I'd just like to understand your point of view.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Could someone please explain why people like me are supposed to have an unfair advantage?

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Teoes said:
Doom972 said:
You're then forced to make out with a man, a woman and a couple of transsexuals (in a random order) to prove it.
Hopefully it's only an oral test.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Queen Michael said:
Could someone please explain why people like me are supposed to have an unfair advantage?
As mentioned earlier, this is a mishandled "temporary-trans" clause.

Wouldn't a proof of identity be enough? Then again I don't know the procedure for registering as MtF or FtM is like in the Philippines. In theory I guess this rule works if there are no "genuine" teams with more than one trans person. Though I'm unsure how they'd ever be able to tell if someone is gay or bi.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Oh come on! They can't even tell us what the advantages are? Because I really want to know. I am honestly curious as to what type of crazy theory people came up with that says liking the same sex gives you an advantage in video games.
I think that the advantage to it is that if they're gay, they can focus on their own junk rather than imagining what anyone else's looks like. So they spend less time trying to picture it in their heads, and more time playing.

That's totally the reason, right?

whereswarren

Feb 4, 2015
Queen Michael said:
Unless you are a transgender individual this is not referring to you, you were merely bracketed with other groups for the sake of
"blanket fairness".