Leaked Deus Ex Preview Build Impresses Fans

allistairp

Apr 22, 2011
Leaked Deus Ex Preview Build Impresses Fans

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, one of the most anticipated releases of fall, just came a bit early. Well, sort of.

A lengthy 10-12 hour preview build of Human Revolution, sparingly sent out to press, leaked onto torrent sites this week. It opens with an introductory cinematic and carries the player through a lengthy portion of the game's story. The build is stable but far from finished.

Not since Crysis 2 has there been such an early leak of a massive game. However, [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107927-Crysis-2-Leak-Not-As-Bad-As-First-Thought"]the Crysis 2 leak[/a] was a beta of the full game. This Human Revolution preview build is more comparable to the Half-Life 2 leak years ago, which only presented a portion of a work-in-progress.

It's uncertain whether this leak is tied at all to [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110011-Anonymous-Hacks-Eidos-Deus-Ex-Websites-UPDATED"]the attack[/a] on Deus Ex's website, last month. The developer and publisher could not be reached for comment, at this time.

Surprisingly, developer Eidos Montreal has allowed users to comment about the leak on the [a href="http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=117580"]game's forum[/a]. Community Manager Kyle Stallock even [a href="http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1618086&postcount=714"]encouraged users[/a] to share links to non-press reviews and comments on the leak. Torrents of the leak remain available on popular torrent sites, yet to be taken down by publisher Square Enix - not that it's certain Square could stop the leak, at this point, if it wanted.

After months of delays and speculation from series fans on whether this would be a worthy successor to one of the PC's most beloved games, this leak might have helped the game more than hurt it. There are posts on Eidos' forum and NeoGAF.com, claiming the quality of the game surprised them and they are now making a pre-order.

"Augmented edition pre-ordered. I'm quite fucking hyped for this game," one poster wrote on NeoGAF, after reading others' impressions of the leaked build.

Of course, this doesn't change the simple fact that leaking this build was an illegal act - about as illegal as downloading it. So, don't download it! Watch YouTube clips of the leak or something. Oh, crap. Is that illegal too? I need to go check with our lawyers...for 10 hours.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
Bah, I dislike Leaks. Even if it is from Deus Ex HR.
*tempted*
No, I will wait for 2 more months (or longer?) and then I will get my pre-order and then my brain will melt by the quality *nods*

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
These hackers are like ghosts, always hiding behind strange usernames and profile pictures.

Joking aside, if an unfinished build can impress this much, imagine what the full game will be. If only I had a PC that could run this beast of a game.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
At least they're making the best out of it and asking for comments on it and unofficial reviews from it, although they could be doing that just to sideline the person later on.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I am very happy about this. The feedback, not the leak.

This is one of those games that can either bring back the franchise and make millions for Eidos and Squeenix and please the fans of the original while giving other gamers a new, great experience. Or it could flop and become another one of those games with lots of potential that was handled poorly.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Kinda nice how they are embracing this leak almost, like. "Um....sure have an extra long demo I guess..."

Might get confidence based on how the Crysis 2 leak was treated by the community.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
I've been pretty concerned about how HR will play on PC for a while now... so...
I might just... not download this... and see how I like it... and then once I don't play it, I can decide on the pre-order.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ladies and gentlemen...

That is how you respond to a leak. It shows confidence in the product and they don't come off looking like overbearing jerks.

I dof my hat in recognition of good PR.

Also, it is encouraging to hear that an incomplete preview build is ten hours long. In the age of five-hour campaigns, that little tidbit is a breath of fresh air.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
bahumat42 said:
Tigurus said:
*tempted*
No, I will wait for 2 more months (or longer?) and then I will get my pre-order and then my brain will melt by the quality *nods*
Id guess its probably going to be october/november release if its this year (is it this year)
Which is 4 months.
The standing release date is 23-26 August, depending on region.

Although of course there is always the chance of more delays.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Well, it's still a leak, but I have to admit this; thanks to this leak I pre-ordered the Special Edition. I was already looking forward to this game, and now I'm absolutely positively stoked for it.

Yeap, this leak has only done them good.
Zhukov said:
Also, it is encouraging to hear that an incomplete preview build is ten hours long. In the age of five-hour campaigns, that little tidbit is a breath of fresh air.
Even better when you consider it's just 1/3th of the game. And just one playthrough, apparently. This'll be one hefty game indeed.
bahumat42 said:
Tigurus said:
*tempted*
Id guess its probably going to be october/november release if its this year (is it this year)
Which is 4 months.
If that happens, someone will pay.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
I swear to God, id software games are never "leaked". The company decides to upload copies to the internet and press. Nothing like getting someone else to enthusiastically distribute and spread word of mouth for you with for free rather than pay someone who doesn't care to advertise. It's the oldest trick in the book, and I believe that others are now catching on.

This happened recently, so had a trailer for the next Starcraft and the remake of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. The press will give more coverage if it seems like a bigger story.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Well, it's still a leak, but I have to admit this; thanks to this leak I pre-ordered the Special Edition. I was already looking forward to this game, and now I'm absolutely positively stoked for it.

Yeap, this leak has only done them good.
Zhukov said:
Even better when you consider it's just 1/3th of the game. And just one playthrough, apparently. This'll be one hefty game indeed.
bahumat42 said:
Tigurus said:
*tempted*
Which is 4 months.
If that happens, someone will pay.
You can pay me and I can wipe someone out. *nods*

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Still, they are giving good press for the game. That is a huge plus for the developers in this particular case, the guys that downloaded it would still download the game at the launch so no sales lost and since now the word spreads that even an unfinished version of the game is very good more people may buy the game.

If the leaked version was bad and the people had negative reactions then it would suck for the developers.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
What the hell?
Did they go through the original to do list?
FEMA - check
Backstabbing French mysterious woman - check.
Organization that employs you withholding information from you - check.
Damn, all they need now is a violent french all turned enemy and a german swartzennegger doppleganger all turned enemy and I'm buying this just for the nostalgia.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
That leaked build is a good way to see if one is a true Deus-Ex fan or not because if you like "that" then you can't be a real Deus-Ex fan (or you never played and understood the original). At last it could have been worse (with other words a step forward compared to DX:IW but still way behind DX). Still though a non-buy... and not only because of the steam-forced-down-your-throat crap going on. With a steam-free version we can discuss but with steam-forced... forget it.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Heh, sounds like the hilarious voice acting on chinese characters made the transition from the original. ;)