Leaked Microsoft Video Reveals Horrible Future for PC Gaming

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
My thoughts on this in a nutshell:

So Microsoft is trying to capitalize on casual gamers and jump on the bandwagon of selling to people who play these types of games.

This affects you...how, exactly?

Nowhere in this did they say this was indicative of their views on all PC gaming. I think you're painting with too broad a brush. And if the very idea of casual gamers and their moms existing your platform horrifies you, then sigh. Just sigh. Even before Facebook games, shockwave games have been around forever. Get. Over. It.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Mazty said:
This is what you all f**king get for buying the Wii and into DLC. Congratulations for bringing this sh*t storm upon yourselves.
Yes, how dare they buy completely unrelated consoles that they enjoy, and spending their money on things that they want to spend it on! How dare they become a demographic that someone would release a completely optional program to sell to! Those bastards! They have no right!

Phoenix Arrow said:
This isn't aimed at us of course, you all know that.
It's aimed at the casual market but doesn't this patronise them? I mean, it basically says women are only interested in buying new clothes. That they'd be willing to fork out money to Microsoft for "virtual items" and various services you could get elsewhere for free or at least cheaper. Pretty damaging campaign in my opinion.
THANK YOU.

I felt like I was the only one who noticed this beyond "Casual gamers? On my platform? It's more likely than you think."

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
So... let's see.

Casual and social gaming is an ever growing market that makes billions of dollars, and hardcore PC gaming's most outspoken members say things like "I will protest your anti-piracy measures by stealing your product."

It's almost as if Microsoft participates in a free-market economy, where consumers vote with their wallets, and that as a corporation it's their entire existance to do what they can to get some of that money.

Fact: PC Owners are paying for casual gaming more than hardcore gaming. Microsoft's just responded to this, probably a year too late.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Ekonk said:
I don't see what's so horrible about it. So we're not the demographic, who cares? There are a thousand things that obviously were never designed for me.
Pretty much this. If it's not marketed at you, don't care about it.

I swear, PC users make me want to blow a hole in my head sometimes.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
LGC Pominator said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
The funny thing is that nobody uses their current platform anyway. I can't see this making a big difference.

LGC Pominator said:
You're being a bit melodramatic there. A lot of the time we're just joking around or, more often, the people who are posting in the threads you list are the people that have that opinion and aren't a real representation of the opinion of the Escapist.

If there's a thread on "This Change Sucks" most of the people posting in that thread are people who are interested in the subject matter and because of that, generally agree with the OP.
I see what you mean, I think its easy to get a bit confused/scared when scanning the forums because there always tends to be a high quantity of posts that seem a bit over the top, I don't honestly believe there is an "average escapist member", but often times its hard to tell whether something is good old fashioned fun or actual malicious hatred, take the news story that this thread started for example, 8 pages in and I just see a LOT of hatred, this can't be Aspie exclusive surely?

Anyway I definitely understand the final point (re: people agreeing with OP), however, once again, it is never possible to be 100% sure, but it seems to definitely be the case with dragon age!

Finally, with regards to my captcha: what the hell is a lidap submodule?!
captcha is one weird system
We certainly thrive on hyperbole here, I agree. A general rule is to mentally tone down every over the top post because people are usually just doing that to prove their point.

As for your captcha:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/inglip

Ravna

Mar 2, 2011
This made my teeth itch.
I knew something was wrong when they laid off the ACES Team and started to talk about a "whole new gaming experience."

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
what is this i dont even...

If this turns out to be somehow, in an apocalyptic world, the future of PC gaming than I will shoot myself. Together with every other PC gamer with a clear mind.

GasparNolasco

Dec 13, 2010
So this is what PC gaming will be from now on folks. Forget your video card, the future is Farmville, microtransactions and multiplayer FPS (you'll still need your videocard for those, I guess).

Anyway...

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
Well, core gamers already have Steam, so I think it's a pretty wise decision that they're aiming for the casual gamer with GfWL.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
High concept, low feasibility.

I'd be impressed if they managed to put together so many social/market/gaming features tied into one Windows service...hasn't even been fully executed on XBL yet.

Raven said:
Somebody at Microsoft really liked Mamoru Hosoda's Summer Wars [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1474276/]...

And erm.. Microsoft... What happens if we don't have any friends?
Looks like Digimon mixed with Tron ("It's just a game!") and maybe a bit of Nick & Nora ("Just pretend to be my boyfriend").

Not the newest concept of a digital world beginning to dominate the real, but the artwork looks beautiful and I loved Girl Who Leapt Thru Time to death.

Red-Link

Feb 10, 2010
Ekonk said:
I don't see what's so horrible about it. So we're not the demographic, who cares? There are a thousand things that obviously were never designed for me.
This is how I feel about it. I think it's stupid, but that's just me. If someone wants this, then all the better for them. Granted, that doesn't mean it's a good idea, as people have stated, the target demographic is pretty much settled elsewhere. But as long as they don't try to force the ideas from here on me, they can do as they will.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Ekonk said:
The problem is that if this catches on and starts making money....it will become the focus of their attention/ effort....possibly to the detriment of "hardcore" (pretty much anything is hardcore compared to Farmville/ Bejeweled) gaming that will be gradually marginalized. I admit, it won't happen overnight.

Also, demographics are renewed like blood. The new generation can be influenced into liking this sort of featherbrained crap...like Jersey Shore. Basically, the demand side of "supply/ demand" can be cultivated over time. So Microsoft is raising itself an audience that could come to believe that the more money one spends...the more "unique" one is as an individual.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
As a console gamer, I have to say you PC boys and girls have my sympathies for what they're worth. All I can say is that I hope each and every one of you resists this change with every fibre of your being.

Microtransactions, dumbing down and Zynga could spell the end of PC gaming as we know it. (I can safely say that those avatars are just the most infernal things I've ever seen.)

Though on the plus side, should any of you defect to consoles - at least you will know that you won't have to see Zynga. (At least for now...)

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
I think you are reading too much into this. PC is an open platform. It's not like MS can actually impose this to anyone who doesn't want to use it. Look at Live for Windows... Look at Steam, for that matter...

It's not like Xbox360 or any other closed platform that the manufacturer has full control.

If it is crap, there is no real way to impose it.

Don't sweat it.