Lenovo's Ebox Enters the Console War

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Lenovo's Ebox Enters the Console War

A fourth contender seeks to enter the battle for console dominance, but only in China for now, where the big three have no presence.

Chinese technology firm Lenovo has announced its intentions to release a controller-free videogame console called the Ebox. Lenovo developed a spin-off firm called Beijing eedoo Technology to work on the product, which is only planned for release in China, an area where the government has previously banned the import of videogame consoles.

Jack Luo, new president of Beijing eedoo, compares the Ebox to Microsoft's Xbox 360 [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_tr_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283049551&sr=8-2] peripheral. "We are the world's second company to produce a controller-free game console, behind only Microsoft," Luo says.

However, don't expect the two to go head-to-head anytime soon. Luo predicts more than 1 million Ebox sales per year after two or three years, but the console is only planned for launch in China (possibly in early 2011). Its release in other areas seems unlikely, but hasn't been totally ruled out. The Ebox will launch with 30 free games as a method of dealing with China's rampant piracy issues.

And as for the Chinese government's problem with videogame consoles, considering them to be a form of entertainment unhealthy to youth, Beijing eedoo plans to market the Ebox as a healthy, patriotic activity. "Our product is designed for family entertainment," Luo says. "Ebox may not have exquisite game graphics, or extensive violence, but it can inspire family members to get off the couch and get some exercise." Luo also hopes to produce games with a Chinese cultural element to "win customers' hearts."

Microsoft wants to make its way into the Chinese market and is hoping for approval of Xbox 360 sales there, but faces an uphill battle. Beijng eedoo believes it holds the region advantage regardless because it's a Chinese company that better understands Chinese consumers. Personally, I can't wait to take a gander at some of the games the 16 separate game development companies are reportedly creating for the Ebox. I'm sure they'll be spectacular, in one way or another.

Source: China Daily [http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2010-08/27/content_11214599_2.htm]

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
So it's not so much "enters the console war" as "doesn't pose a threat to the Big Three in any way at all".

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
"A healthy, patriotic activity"...? There just seems something disturbing and absurd about that wording.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Ebox
Xbox
Going to be like Kinet

This sounds like a pop-station.

EDIT: Behold, yon pop-station.

Badger Kyre

Aug 25, 2010
Nova5 said:
"A healthy, patriotic activity"...? There just seems something disturbing and absurd about that wording.
It's china.. can't really beat it for absurd and disturbing without hitting up the sci-fi totalitarianisms.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
It seems kind of like one of those controllers that you buy at a sports store for $20 and promise like 165 game knockoffs...

darthricardo

May 7, 2010
Oh god, the Chintendo Vii... *sigh*...
Anyways, I don't really see how this is competing with the other consoles... It's catering to a completely different market. Can't imagine Microsoft losing money over this...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Somehow this reminds me of the Chintendo Vii from a while back.
Powerful Weapon Machine! Powerful Weapon Machine!

Wow. That was..... interesting.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Meh, its china; more than likely the games will be more brainwashing.
I admit my view of china may be grimmer than the reality but...nothing has changed since the bad old days, you know? the same ideas, sometimes even the same people are still running things.
They just smile more.