lets collectively lol @ these "I need feminism because..." pics

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
And how are you sure that their weight was caused by overeating and an unhealthy lifestyle, and not a product of genetics or a disorder? If it's something they cannot change, then they shouldn't be judged for it.
People shouldn't be judged for it, but they still shouldn't be proud of it.

It's like saying you're proud of having cystic-fibrosis or sickle cell anaemia.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
BoneDaddy_SK said:
Quadocky said:
Pretty much the last question you state.

In the most hyperbolic way I can state: Supporting feminism is tantamount to destroying all logical reasoning, caring about others is ULTIMATELY POINTLESS, and that FEEEEEMAAALESSSSzzzz have it waaay better than the REAL VICTIMS OF OPPRESSION who mostly consist of white straight males of middle class origin.
Sadly, I just know some MRM perma-virgin is going to take all that hyperbole literally and offer you a totally not homoerotic bro-job in congratulations.

canadamus_prime said:
That is what's known as a logical fallacy. I can be anti-rape without supporting feminism, esp. extremist feminism.
Saying that you support gender equality and sexual autonomy but you don't support feminism is like saying that you don't eat meat but think that being a vegetarian is stupid.
I support gender equality, I don't support a group of people that don't recognize M2F Transfolk as women. Most don't, sadly.

Until feminist get their act together and accept that, seriously, fuck that noise.
I contest that notion that there is an idea that the majority of feminists do not support M2F Transfolk. I do not know where you get that idea unless you are referring to thoughts held by an older wave of feminists which is pretty much gone and irrelevant by today's standards. Which reminds me of a very important thing about Feminism is that its not something set in stone, its an ever evolving school of thought.

BoneDaddy_SK

Feb 7, 2013
SaneAmongInsane said:
I support gender equality, I don't support a group of people that don't recognize M2F Transfolk as women. Most don't, sadly.

Until feminist get their act together and accept that, seriously, fuck that noise.
Citation needed. I have yet to meet a single feminist who thinks that a transgendered person doesn't count, nor have I seen evidence that this is a majority opinion in feminist theory. Where are you getting your information from?

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
This will end well...Not.

Yes, there are idiot feminists, idiot Liberals, idiot Republicans, idiot MRAs, idiots everywhere. Pointing and laughing at some from a select group seems troublingly closed-minded at best.

guybrush122

Feb 6, 2013
Hey guys, let's all laugh at others with different opinions and emotions to make us feel better about ourselves!

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
Genocidicles said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
And how are you sure that their weight was caused by overeating and an unhealthy lifestyle, and not a product of genetics or a disorder? If it's something they cannot change, then they shouldn't be judged for it.
People shouldn't be judged for it, but they still shouldn't be proud of it.

It's like saying you're proud of having cystic-fibrosis or sickle cell anaemia.
If its something you cannot change (or very hard to change), then what gives you the right to shame someone because of it?

The whole thing about being overweight is probably one of the more annoying things because it really has nothing to do with being a bad person/unhealthy or lack of willpower. It has everything to do with circumstance.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Quadocky said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
BoneDaddy_SK said:
Quadocky said:

In the most hyperbolic way I can state: Supporting feminism is tantamount to destroying all logical reasoning, caring about others is ULTIMATELY POINTLESS, and that FEEEEEMAAALESSSSzzzz have it waaay better than the REAL VICTIMS OF OPPRESSION who mostly consist of white straight males of middle class origin.
Sadly, I just know some MRM perma-virgin is going to take all that hyperbole literally and offer you a totally not homoerotic bro-job in congratulations.

canadamus_prime said:
That is what's known as a logical fallacy. I can be anti-rape without supporting feminism, esp. extremist feminism.
Saying that you support gender equality and sexual autonomy but you don't support feminism is like saying that you don't eat meat but think that being a vegetarian is stupid.

I contest that notion that there is an idea that the majority of feminists do not support M2F Transfolk. I do not know where you get that idea unless you are referring to thoughts held by an older wave of feminists which is pretty much gone and irrelevant by today's standards. Which reminds me of a very important thing about Feminism is that its not something set in stone, its an ever evolving school of thought.
Very possible. It's been a while since I did research on that bit. Quick google search though, I can still see articles being written on the subject of Feminism shedding it's transphobia.

Heres one, 2011, still I see others written as recent as 2013: http://www.thefword.org.uk/features/2011/09/radical_feminism_transphobia

It's still very much a problem within that movement.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
Loonyyy said:

Yes, there are idiot feminists, idiot Liberals, idiot Republicans, idiot MRAs, idiots everywhere. Pointing and laughing at some from a select group seems troublingly closed-minded at best.
We are not all with out foibles. Though I wish to point out that there is a much larger degree of willful ignorance on the part of reactionaries/'right wingers' MRAs and the like. Something that more 'Liberal' ideas are not prone too given they are predisposed to the evolution of thought rather than outright reactions based upon selfishness and fear.

Basically, its not something that is even on each side. Most of the divisiveness and ignorance almost always stems from the reactionaries. But for some reason, even pointing this out will cause reactionaries to react divisively. Thus, I am generally of the belief they do not really care about anything but themselves.

Sep 24, 2008
I'd like to play a little game.

Take out those messages. Put in messages about Black Militant Thoughts. All empowering, but it's not talking about feminism. Honestly, wouldn't a lot of people be turned off just by the term 'Black Militant' and dislike it on that basis? We don't need feminism. We don't need Black Activism. We don't need lobbying for Gay/Transgender Rights. We need acceptance. And when do we actually get acceptance? When we drop labels and say 'human'. Not that many people want to do that, because they get pride in their labels, but it will drive us apart.

My problem with Feminism is that it makes it sound like a female gender issue only. The term. Whatever it means to do, it creates a specialty subsection of our culture that is meant to make us all equal, but on the surface is dealing with one section of our population. I try to treat everyone with the respect they deserve. In fact, you have to earn disrespect from me, rather earn respect. And I happen to respect those who struggle for all rights equally. Not focus on one part and then say it will help us all.

WaitWHAT said:
Jesus Christ, escapist. Are we still having these Juvenile "stop complaining about your lives, women, men have it hard too" threads? As if gender equality is a big contest about who can whine the most about how incredibly hard their lives are? Because that's on the intellectual level of two kids having a fight in a sandpit.

Grats to everyone who's posting here.

[sub]Except the ones that are being reasonable and sensible about it. Obviously.[/sub]
You know what? I can honestly understand your frustration. However, rights, ideals, and beliefs are not concrete. They need to be earned every day. They need to be discussed so we all have a universal understanding and acceptance. As you can see of the array of responses, we're no where near it. The fact that these people had to post why they feel they need feminism is proof that we are no where near it.

As 'annoying' as it might be, it's very necessary. I will butt my head until I can't think straight if that means my potential future children, regardless of whatever sexuality, gender, race mix up, or whatever they may be will be accepted without question or fear for their own future.

rhizhim said:
-snippage-

not at all.
I wanted to see who would respond to this. I thought the whole "Not as much as women!!!" argument would come out, and then it would all break down to perceived percentages and what not. Here am I chagrined that no one even touched. If we want discussions, we do have to take on all points. Not the ones we can win.

I do remember as a kid, walking around times square looking at those shirtless Obsession ads and Calvin Klein ads and thinking 'Am I supposed to look like that? I'm no where near it. What does that mean?'. True facts. But because there are supposedly less chances of feeling that way because women have more media objectifying them, a lot of people I know told me to stop worrying about it. It actually made me feel worthless a bit. That how I felt didn't matter because it wasn't acceptable for me to feel that way.

Captcha: Frankly My Dear. Mother of God, someone tell me how to embed a picture so I can show I'm not making this up. I mean, Really Captcha? Can you troll any harder about your sentience?

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
SaneAmongInsane said:
Quadocky said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
BoneDaddy_SK said:
Quadocky said:

canadamus_prime said:

Very possible. It's been a while since I did research on that bit. Quick google search though, I can still see articles being written on the subject of Feminism shedding it's transphobia.

Heres one, 2011, still I see others written as recent as 2013: http://www.thefword.org.uk/features/2011/09/radical_feminism_transphobia

It's still very much a problem within that movement.
I wouldn't say so as being Trans-phobic is pretty much anti-feminist. Quite honestly in all my readings on feminism I have never encountered trans-phobia much beyond a reference to outdated lines of thinking.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Quadocky said:
If its something you cannot change (or very hard to change), then what gives you the right to shame someone because of it?
That's moving the goal posts a bit. "Take Pride in" is a very different question from "Don't deserve to be shamed for".

Quadocky said:
The whole thing about being overweight is probably one of the more annoying things because it really has nothing to do with being a bad person/unhealthy or lack of willpower. It has everything to do with circumstance.
It has to do with a great many things. Some of those things are inside our immediate control, and some are not. Some are due to region, or social class, or metabolism. And yes, some are due to willpower or poor decision making. I still don't see a need to romanticize or celebrate being overweight. We can be understanding. We can attempt to treat the problem and not demonize the problem. But can we at least get on the same page and accept that it's a problem?

I don't see anyone being "sassy and proud" about their cirrhosis of the liver or testicular cancer. It's just an unfortunate situation that needs to be dealt with.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
FreedomofInformation said:
Loonyyy said:

The difference is that feminists have free reign to inflict their nonsense on the rest of us through the government, universities,family courts and so on while a troll on reddit saying they think women should stay in the kitchen is just that.
I would ask for you to explain what you are saying here.

Sep 24, 2008
WaitWHAT said:
I agree. I believe the whole "feminism" is due some urgent re-branding. Let's ball in masculanism too and re-name it "gender equality". Then people might stop having these pointless little scraps and do what matters: making people totally equal regardless or race, gender and all that pointless grap.
Hey, you got my vote. You didn't even have to kiss a baby.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010

I will let the amazing atheist take this one.

tl;dr version though, if people truly want equality then you should be a equalist.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:

Feminism is not a monolith and not all feminists are Andrea Dworkin types. You might want to look up a little something called "The Third Wave" and get some knowledge on the movement before criticizing it as a whole.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
Quadocky said:
That's moving the goal posts a bit. "Take Pride in" is a very different question from "Don't deserve to be shamed for".

Quadocky said:
It has to do with a great many things. Some of those things are inside our immediate control, and some are not. Some are due to region, or social class, or metabolism. And yes, some are due to willpower or poor decision making. I still don't see a need to romanticize or celebrate being overweight. We can be understanding. We can attempt to treat the problem and not demonize the problem. But can we at least get on the same page and accept that it's a problem?

I don't see anyone being "sassy and proud" about their cirrhosis of the liver or testicular cancer. It's just an unfortunate situation that needs to be dealt with.
I wasn't attempting to move the goal posts so much as to put the discussion in context. Its not about pride.

Its not about celebration or romanticism either.

Its about acknowledging the extenuating circumstances that surround everybody and that implying that someone is a problem or somehow lesser because of such is a bad thing to do. Even more dire being that a judgement based upon their physical form.