Let's Not Ban RapeLay

masterpain22

Apr 14, 2010
michiehoward said:
The crime of Rape is not about sex, or S&M, its about power, humilating and degrading another person, rape is purely about causing pain (every type) upon someone.

Acting out a scene of rape or dominance and submission, kink, handcuffs and blindfolds, gags ect ect is scenrio between two consenting adults, consenting adults being the opertive phrase. If you using the defense that Rapelay is a innocent way to act out your fantasies I would disagree, there is a difference between rape (the crime) and what fantasy you act with your partner or in your dreams, one is real and with consent, the other is something within your sleeping sub-concious mind.
But isn't the game a fantasy? It is definitely not real I can tell you that.
For what I read in other comments the game visual style and gameplay seems to be very cartoony, and it is no real rape (the crime) as you put it. You can't compare real rape to acting something out in a video game and then wanting to ban it for it. In the same way I wouldn't call PETA when I see Mario stomping on a turtle, as I haven't seen people acting that out in real life and if they do it is because there is something wrong with them and not the game.

Acting out a scene between to consenting adults and in a video game is not that different, or at least is a lot closer than video game and reality. You are pretty much saying that video games and reality are about the same which is just nonsense, and if everyone thought the same then almost all games would have to be banned by one reason or another.

typhado

May 16, 2008
dannymc18 said:
a line must be drawn somewhere.
Yes it does, however where exactly would you say that line is?

For example if they where to put a disclaimer at the start of the game stating all virtual characters in the game are willing participants in any activities despite anything they say or do later in game would it still be illegal? cause we already have rl versions of this.

Drawing a line here is a very slippery slope.

While I don't think it's teh best solution (or even that good of a solution) I think the line needs to be drawn a bit differently. "As long as all involved humans have given consent and are of age, then it is legal". It gets more complicated once you start involving animals (unless you want everyone to go vegi).

On a personal level I believe alchohol is far far worse and has DIRECTLY contributed to far more crimes than games have. Not just small crimes either, stories of girls getting drunk and being forced into sex either through physical force or just too inebriated to stop it are all over the place. Hell you can even argue in court that because you where drunk the crime wasn't so bad. Personally I hate alchohol and believe the world would be far better off if it was banned, am I crazy enough to try and force my personal views onto people who don't effect me?

Firia said:
The human condition on this one really sickens me; that people skilled in game development will go so far to make it, and that there's a market for it.
I strongly object to the word skill being used with the people who make these games. These people are the very back end of the industry and should stay that way.

I honestly think selling these sort of games to adults should be ok. However they really need to make selling any sort of games like this to anyone under the age of 18 illegal. And I mean seriously illegal like if your store does this better get ready for some police raids and sting operations. Hell put em behind the counter with the cigerates, if the front covers are anything like the game they shouldn't be anywhere near where a kids gonna go, and if they aren't like the game then their a trap.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
typhado said:
dannymc18 said:
Firia said:
The human condition on this one really sickens me; that people skilled in game development will go so far to make it, and that there's a market for it.
I strongly object to the word skill being used with the people who make these games. These people are the very back end of the industry and should stay that way.
Unfortunately, no matter how deplorable the game, things like coding, appeal, and design are all skill based. If this game wasn't appealing in some way to a certain audience, it wouldn't have gotten half as much press, reguardless of how stomach churningly repulsive it is.

There are talented people out there making a living on the sexual idolization and exploitation of the female figure as a sexual object. It's sad to me that we, globally, live in a society that puts such a demand on it.

There's a skilled artist on deviant art that I watch. It's painful to see some of his work at times; he does a lot of WOW-dark elf art (or some sexy race, or some such). The mans skill is astronomicly off the charts. But he uses it to draw women (of a game/fake race, but based on women) as sexual objects most of the time, and for it he draws a huge audience of sexually starved deviants (no pun on the site intended) to him. I watch him for the art he puts out the rest of the time, but I did have to tell him how disapointing it was to see him squander his talent like that.

typhado

May 16, 2008
What I seem to see a lot after reading through the thread is people seem to think that we have to ban the game cause it's trash or say it's ok cause it's normal.

Why can't we let the game legally exist as it hasn't broken any laws and say "It's a disgusting foul piece of trash" which it is. We seem to want our government to decide, and to some extent enforce, our views for us.

Hell it's not impossible as you can see by the cigarette industry. Every knows how bad smoking is and yet it's not illegal, they just have built up a stigma around it.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Not in favour of a ban or any bans really.

If they were going to ban such games, it would mean a whole lot of games, as Japan has a spate of sex/rape games. Banning them is also a pointless exercise in grand-standing and moral-highgrounding--everything gets pirated anyway especially if you try to ban or restrict it. Remember the habits of the pc master race.