Let's rage about gamers

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
While I don't have intended experience with this, campers.

The first time I tried Red Dead Redemption's online out I loaded up the free roam and thought it was pretty cool.

It didn't take very long for me to run into someone who gunned me down with great ease.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT.
Seriously, I'm not like a lot of folks who immediately go off the handle when they're killed by someone.

So I respawn. He shoots me and kills me in one hit again.
I respawn. And again.
And so on. I eventually quit for the night because he just kept doing it over and over.

And my thoughts are what kind of person has nothing better to do but to sit there pressing one button over and over?

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I like it when gamers complain, it's a nice sense of camaraderie and it comes with plenty of good jokes. But it's when we take it TOO FUCKING FAR that it gets annoying. When some of refuse to even acknowledge other opinions and go so far as to pick fights and fling insults. I know that's true opf any community or fanbase but I find gamers do it A LOT.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
floppylobster said:
I hate everyone who complained about Wind Waker before and after it came out and killed any chance of a proper sequel. And I hate anyone at Nintendo who couldn't recognize they were on to something great and prove all those detractors wrong with by creating an even better sequel.
wind waker was great up until the end when you had to go all over the map scavenging for fragments or something. thats when i completely lost interest. i felt the same way with jet force gemini. i loved that game up until the end when you had to rescue captured npcs from every level, all in one sitting, in order to gain access to the final level. it felt like needless padding

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
harryhenry said:
Ok, i've waited for a thread like this for awhile, so hear it goes... ahem. the kind of gamers who hate people who play on any difficulty that isn't hard mode. the reason why i hate these kinds of people is because they're such elitists! and they call people who don't play on hard mode "Pussies" "Faggots" "Stupid casuals" and "not true gamers"! listen, not everyone wants to play on hard mode, ok? are people like me (who plays almost every game on the easist mode) not "true" gamers? is anyone else bothered by these kinds of people?
when it comes to difficulty my policy is always to play on normal mode first (unless its a genre im awful at, like rts, in which case i play on easy mode). if i like the game enough to play it a second time, ill play on hard

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
I immediately give up if a teammate in League of legends starts writing french

Your sole chance of winning with french is the enemy having more french.

ah, je le outplay

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
I just hope we don't get another event like Mass Effect 3. I can handle all the little complaints that float around nowadays, another massive outburst on that scale would just completely burn me out. I'm already jaded to all of the cynicism as it is.
If we had another Mass Effect 3, the entirety of the Escapist would implode, permanently warping and twisting the denizens within! I'll take another Skyrim over that. At least then, not all the threads would require a waaambulance. :{

The only gamers I don't like are the super lazy ones. You know the one. The one that sits in the corner with his thumb up his ass because he just wants a free ride through the quest or mission.

This mostly comes from my experience playing MMOs, and is the primary reason I absolutely hate PUGs and only play with friends, if I can help it.

TheOneGuyInNebraska

Apr 9, 2013
The racists, definitely the racists.
(Here's a fun game for the kids, make a gamer-tag that reflects your actual race [quadruple points if your not white] and count how many times your insulted because of it! I got up to the early hundreds before I sold my Xbox because I stupidly did this when I first got it, can you beat my score?!?!)

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
When playing some competitive games online, some people will bag on others for being bad and not knowing what they are doing.
Looking at scores and stuff though they would also be doing worse than the person they are blaming.

I just ignore them, report them and go onto the next game.
I try to not let these types affect me, but it still bugs me though.
[sub]grrr.[/sub]

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
The willingness to buy a game not because you support the developer or the franchise, but rather.....because you like it. I like Mcdonalds but I know it sucks and I don't buy it very often, only on rare occasions. I conversely DON'T like eating vegetables but hey, I'm mature, I can do something that I know will help me despite my utter hate for it. Let's see how fucking wasteful you are with your money when you don't get diddly, and how INFURIATING it is to finally have enough moola, only to find out it is shoddily made or is screwed in certain areas of the game and you realise how stupid you have been,and how much of an arsehole the developers were.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
harryhenry said:
Ok, i've waited for a thread like this for awhile, so hear it goes... ahem. the kind of gamers who hate people who play on any difficulty that isn't hard mode. the reason why i hate these kinds of people is because they're such elitists! and they call people who don't play on hard mode "Pussies" "Faggots" "Stupid casuals" and "not true gamers"! listen, not everyone wants to play on hard mode, ok? are people like me (who plays almost every game on the easist mode) not "true" gamers? is anyone else bothered by these kinds of people?
Hey, I embraced that "not true gamer" thing long ago. I'm a filthy casual who's ruining the industry foreverz and I'm damned proud of it.

Exius Xavarus said:
shrekfan246 said:
I just hope we don't get another event like Mass Effect 3. I can handle all the little complaints that float around nowadays, another massive outburst on that scale would just completely burn me out. I'm already jaded to all of the cynicism as it is.
If we had another Mass Effect 3, the entirety of the Escapist would implode, permanently warping and twisting the denizens within! I'll take another Skyrim over that. At least then, not all the threads would require a waaambulance. :{
When Elder Scrolls 6 happens, what we'll have is another instance of what I always not so much rage as get an amused chuckle out of - the Bethesda Syndrome. When the new game comes out, the previous one is ALWAYS much better, an eternal classic, the new one is just awful (after sinking hundreds of hours into it), etc. I remember when Oblivion was the worst thing ever made.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
The Comedian said:
people that identify as hard core gamers.
we don't identify as hard core readers or hardcore movie watchers
calling yourself a hard core gamer is moronic.
Agreed.

Also, the way (some) gamers seem to perceive gaming as a human right; so much so that when they don't afford a game, they have no problem pirating it, or trading in ten used games to get the money to buy it, and constantly whine about games being too expensive when really, adjusted for inflation, games are cheaper now than they have ever been (they should cost about $100 today, especially considering that dev costs have gone through the roof).

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Gamers who rant about how awesome games were back in the day and how shitty games today are.

I love my older games as much as the next guy, hell, I recently discovered an old game in the form of Disgaea and loving it, but just because there happen to be a lot of mediocre titles today doesn't mean there aren't really good titles today. These people just cherry pick examples of good games from the good old days and ignore the fact that there were in fact a ton of shitty and mediocre titles back then as well.

Pat from Two Best Friends is an example of this. I think the guy is cool and all, but when you make a top ten list of 2012, talking about how awesome these games are and then at the end of the video, complain about how shitty games are now a days, it just baffles me.

Also, the group of gamers that are hoping for a crash in the industry right now. Yes, things aren't exactly all sunshine and lollipops right now with the AAA market, but there's lots of better ways of fixing this kind of stuff then hoping that millions of people lose their jobs in an instant.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
The "You're doing it wrong" crowd. Some people just can't be happy gaming because somewhere, someone ISN'T liking the same things s/he is. And they feel compelled to loudly inform everyone why [consoles/PCs/tablets/Eastern games/Western games/AAA games/indie games] are the only thing anyone should be excited about, and they won't SHUT UP about it.

I think most of my complaints pretty much boil down to this category.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
League
players
who
type
vertically.

Almost as bad as the ones who assume the game will go to whoever gets First Blood, and won't stop moaning about it if it's the other team. Even if their team starts winning. ESPECIALLY if their team starts winning; it means something happened to the other team because the team they so unfairly got stuck with couldn't possibly turn the game around. I'm surprised they don't start reciting bad poetry.

The League community in general is okay, but it's the vocal ones that stick with me.

Final Fantasy 11. "DESPAIR, for I am THE. END. OF. DAYS!" ~ Daemon Prince Of Chaos (Warhammer 40,000 Dawn Of War). More than a few instances of pettiness, opportunism, or outright insanity rustled my jimmies on more than a few occasions in that game, but that's what kept me coming back. There was a time in which I was the destroyer of linkshells (guilds); not for me was the idiot rant, but a point-by-point dissemination that would leave people with the power to say 'enough' and simply break my linkpearl (guild communication item) with a desolate wasteland where their linkshell group once stood, and they deserved nothing less.

At least from my point of view. It's when the endgame shell I was with dismissed me without so much as a 'good riddance' or 'and after everything we did for you' that I finally gave that game up. It was kind of depressing, being dismissed like that.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
Well I was at a classic video game expo recently, and the whole room smelled terrible. It was very crowded so it wasn't entirely surprising, but it seemed a little stereotypical.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I hate gamers who have one very narrow-minded view that they absolutely refuse to deviate from, you get this a lot with the 'games are art/story is king' crowd.

Yes, the story to Modern Warfare is absolutely retarded, but so is the story to Die Hard, and Die Hard is fucking awesome. Just like Die Hard, Modern Warfare is designed to be utter brain fodder; a fun romp that you don't put much thought into. I love a good story in my games, don't get me wrong, but I don't automatically dismiss every game that doesn't have a good story as trite and pointless just because it sets out to be fun over everything else.

Also, while I'm on my high horse, it also pisses me off that a really good story makes people overlook other glaring flaws, most recently demonstrated by Spec Ops: The Line which had a fantastic story but fucking abysmal combat/team AI/just about everything else.

TallestGargoyle

Oct 31, 2011
For me, it's the people that say "I play for fun" as an excuse to run around and piss about, rather than to accomplish whatever objective or challenge the game has presented them.

I've noticed this most in Team Fortress 2 ever since the hats and trading came in. Whatever the jokes and general stigmas behind the direction TF2 has gone in recent years are, it's still a competitive multiplayer class-based team game.

One thing that I understand is going as whatever class you want. I'm all for that, I'd never want to force anyone to play as a class they don't want to just because we've already got four snipers and three spies, though I'd still prefer it if people could play a more complete range of classes...

What I really hate, however, are the people that sit around in spawn doing a whole lot of fuck all, meleeing their friend in a corner over and over for entire 20+ minute games.

I just don't get how that translates to "Playing for fun" when you spend an entire round in a corner holding M1, occasionally twitching the mouse. Spycrabbing had a lot to do with this, and people spend entire rounds single-mindedly walking out of spawn crouched and looking up with the disguise kit equipped, and I just think there is no possible way that could be fun to you in any way aside from the initial "Heee it looks kinda silly".

I'm a big player of Saxton Hale mode (and am a big fan of the Juggernaut-style gametype in general) and I notice it a whole lot on here. Engineers building as far away from the action as possible so they get long, eventless playtime, Scouts spending their time running from Hale as much as possible without touching left mouse once, those that hide until the end to 'friendly' with Hale, purely wasting time so those that died have to wait for them to act like idiots before getting another chance to play.

Basically, "Play for fun" to be is bullshit if you aren't deriving your fun from the gameplay. If you actively avoid the gameplay to have fun, join a trade/idle server where the whole point is to piss about. Just good luck getting out of spawn with snipers trained on the spawn doors.

Edalborez

Jun 23, 2013
I hate:

5) "The Advocate". Acting as if gamers are an oppressed minority and acts as if they must personally defend their brethren.

4) "The YouTube LPer". Typically annoying voice, often plays badly (usually first day/week gameplay), gets lost easily. I do realize there are exceptions and some people will settle for any footage for some games.

3) "The Alpha Male" hardcore gamers. The ones that flaunt their superiority, mock and taunt "inferior" players, and get very defensive if their veteran viewpoints are even remotely challenged.

2) "(Nothing Moves) The Blob". Makes little effort to overcome difficult obstacles. At extremes, will sometimes fail because they didn't bother to read or are flat-out not paying attention.

1) "The Fool". Asks for advice, doesn't take it. Wastes everyone's time.

I have a bit of the "you're doing it wrong" persona in me, but I try to make it not confrontational.

Edit:
TallestGargoyle said:
For me, it's the people that say "I play for fun" as an excuse to run around and piss about, rather than to accomplish whatever objective or challenge the game has presented them.
Can't believe I forgot this. So frustrating.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
IllumInaTIma said:
you sure you aren't on some russin image board or something cause it sounds a lot like /v/ to me
O.T. I get more annoyed with the Enthusiast pc builders went on to nvidia's site once to get the new drivers everyone was complaining about it being buggy so they pulled it and then they went on complaining saying how dare they release buggy drivers, how dare they not keep them updated on what's going on, and saying that they were switching over to AMD all over one driver not having it's kinks majorly ironed out and when someone actually told them to calm down someone responded to go buy a console if this was a graphics card then yes get mad but drivers? just switch back to old ones

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Spacemonkey430 said:
I'm not a fan of any fanboys but in my experience people who are hardcore Darksouls fanboys are rude and snarky. I assert that I am not personally interested in a game that is supposed to be fun because it punishes you. Suddenly I'm a plebeian lame gamer who is too wimpy to handle Darksouls. Just one example of annoying fanboys. I do however enjoy my own games.
Well that would depend on whether you can assert yourself without insulting people. Of course both parties can get that wrong, but you can understand that someone might feel the need to be defensive if you take it too far in asserting yourself.

I 'unno, I've not really seen Dark Souls fanboys be all rabid and insulting without being insulted first, ie the "This is dumb people who enjoy this are stupid" that gamers seem to be a bit too fond of.

OT : yes, what you all said. The superiority complexes, the 'OLD GAMES GOOD NEW GAMES BAD NO EXCEPTIONS' (and incidentally, I hate the word 'nowadays'. I don't like how it sounds), the 'indie games are all pretentious art wank'; I can't stand the attitudes.

Also gamers have a tendency to try and be all coy and cynical (a la Yahtzee), but they miss the subtle and unsubtle self-deprecation of those who they try to emulate, and just end up sounding like spoiled cunts.