Let's Remake Star Wars

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Did we suddenly learn how to properly choreograph lightsaber duels while I wasn't looking? Sorry Bob, the lightsaber duels of the prequels were among the MOST impotent things in those movies. And when you are talking about movies as sterile as the prequels, something that STANDS OUT as especially impotent is really saying something.

The duels in the original trilogy were fucking amazing because they had emotion, gravitas, and meaning. The duels were used sparingly, and as such each had a overriding theme driving them. Most importantly, you knew WHY the duels were happening.

In the prequels the duels were meaningless, sterile, and fought in the crisp, clean, emotionless way no living being would ever fight, super-human reaction speed or no.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
while i wouldn't mind a remake, i would greatly prefer them to concentrate on another part of star wars

i've always been giddy at the thought of seeing the mandalorian wars..or something involving them, i fucking love their armor/lore/atmosphere..

FOR MANDALORE!!!!!!!!!

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Luke kisses his sister, the first movie is basically one complete package that doesn't leave room for a real sequel, Han shot first, Alec Guinness was never originally intended to die (at the very least not the way that he did), and there was a ridiculous garbage tentacle monster.

These fundamental problems with the original movie are, in my opinion, a large part of what is so fascinating about it and its relationship with the trilogy. Political correctness has killed the capacity of Hollywood to have anything like these awesome aberrations (much in the way that the new Red Dawn simply cannot capture the stupidity of the original), so what do we have left? A Tron: Legacy-style remake. It wont be bad exactly, but it wont be good either. It certainly can't be groundbreaking.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Basically, Star Wars is a culmination of action settings, shaped around an old fashioned, archetypal story and characters. So really, the sequels should basically run along the same lines, combining more genres. A New Hope had cowboys, nazis and Samurai. Why not do a remake with gangsters, cold war spies and wuxia?

There is a risk that it could come off as goofy, tongue-in-cheek Tarantino movie, but as long as it stays self-serious, it could easily work.

Also, I recommend keeping away from the original plot line. All three prequel movies seemed to served the sole purpose of showing what Vader and Obi Wan did before the original trilogy. It's the old (or rather, brand new) prequel mistake of exploring back story that needs no elaboration. back story is there to simply provide a sense of history to characters (so as to flesh them out) and create the impression this is a living breathing world which exists beyond a 100 minute period. That's it. Exploring unimportant stuff we already know enough about is boring and restrictive.

Finally - keep Jar Jar Binx, but write him well. Movies need a Jar Jar Binx. Jack Sparrow is basically a Jar Jar Binx character. R2-D2 and C-3PO are the Jar Jar Binxes of the originals. Don't exclude them.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
George Goofus remakes Star wars and implements new bad ideas everyone else but him knows is bad every time he re-releases it.

Don't give that idiot anymore bad ideas he comes up with enough on his own.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
This needs to happen. Fan obsession has kept the Star Wars franchise stagnant for too long, and it needs a proper reboot and change of pace just like the new Trek movie.

The originals will still be there, and if the new version fails it can be rebooted again. Letting go of the past is the way to new interesting things in the future.

I personally grow weary of franchises that, despite having great potential, squander it by meandering on the same plot points, cliches and flawed continuity.

Have Vader not be Luke's father, have Leia be the protagonist, have Han be a black man and make Chewie an Ewok Jedi master. Have Ron Perlman play Jar Jar, Tobin Bell as Palpatine, and Hugh Laurie as Tarkin.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I'd be more interested in some new movies that take place after the events of the first six. Also, even if you remake it and it looks cool with new effects.. Who is going to replace Harrison Ford? He's kind of unique and well.. Was the guy for that time and place (to use a phrase from the opening of the big lebowski).

Noetherian

Hermits United
May 3, 2012
Great job, Bob. Now I almost want this to happen!

...That said, I'll also second the point that there's more than enough EU for exploring more of the universe. I don't know that I actually want a movie of KotOR itself, with all the potential that has to not jibe well with my enjoyment of the game(s), but... Wouldn't it be fun to see a movie set in a near-KotOR period-- not based on the game itself, but full of Sith plots and backstabbing and explosions (and, fine, some charismatic Jedi or other)? It might even revitalize SWTOR!

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Brilliant. We can do a gritty reboot of the entire series. Hell, we can even cast Katee Sackoff as Han Solo.

... I'm not sure if I'm being sarcastic or not...

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Smeagol150 said:
Blasphemy! I cannot see a good reason for this, other then to get George to leave them alone.
Re-make them without Lucas, of course! And we all know the prequels could use better writing, ant the originals could use better visuals. Middle ground, here we come.

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
I would like to see this happen, However i think the internet would meltdown. You remember the outrage of when they replaced Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen at the end of Jedi. Now think of when they have a remake with a complete new cast.

Still I think it is a great Idea, and maybe we would get a 7,8,&9 finally if the remakes do well.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Vanguard1219 said:
Brilliant. We can do a gritty reboot of the entire series. Hell, we can even cast Katee Sackoff as Han Solo.

... I'm not sure if I'm being sarcastic or not...
Leave Leia as a woman, but recast Han as a girl. I would love to see that.

I'm now imagining 1970's era Carrie Fisher making out with Katee Sackoff.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
Remaking star wars is almost tautologous considering that it almost made entirely of bits and pieces of earlier films.

I recently rewatched little lord Fauntleroy(1936) and realised, hey thats Anakin. and that is far from the first time this has happened.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I want movies based on the X-Wing series. Please tell me I'm not the only one here that's read those books.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Ah... How would Hollywood do this today?

1)Take everything that made the original movie good & toss it out the window.
2)Make unnecessary changes to make it edgier.
3)Since it will obviously sell, stretch each part of the original trilogy into it's own trilogy to make as much money as possible.
4)If you let a director remake one of his own movies, he'll change the hell out of it selfishly. without consideration of the fans, to show how he's changed as an artist, resulting in both 1 & 2 happening.
5)Things get retconned, new plotholes are created.
6)Because of the reputation of the prequels & sequels, people will go in either fully expecting to hate the remake or with sky high expectations that won;t be met.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Bob, I may dislike you attidue to certain games, but when it comes to movies, you really now how to ingite the powder keg.

That said remake the Star Wars fils could be good. Though the fanbase should have there month ducktape, 3 times, and their hands tied up, with chains. Yea the star wars fanbase, one of the 10 worse out there. or top ten in possion of the worst vocal memebers.

Also the prequels are enjoyable. I grew on them, not the originals, I an just as nostalgia blinded as any fan of the originals is.

theETG

Oct 2, 2012
This is actually something I've considered before. A remake of the original Star Wars. Sure, it sounds sensible to a certain degree. But I think the notion underestimates the level of iconography associated with Star Wars now.
In a lot of ways the original trilogy was a perfect storm of great effects, great music, great sound design, great acting, quotable scripting, and savvy direction. As such, it's legacy is beyond just the characters. It's the hook shot of the Star Destroyer sweeping in above us on screen. It's the music that plays as Luke looks out across the binary sunset. It's even the cheesy costumes in the Cantina on Mos Eisley.
Star Wars is one of those rare cases where I'd say: just leave it be. Even if you did remake the film in a way that made it better (heightened drama in the script with foreknowledge of what was to come, as pointed out), it would never be as visionary or as iconic as the original. And even if it *was*, if it *was* somehow more iconic, with a better script and better characters and all of that, I'd only have one complaint:
"Sir, why the hell are you wasting all of this talent on a bloody remake?"