Let's Talk About Booze:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Kinda tired of drinking, I only ever do it with close friends or when its free. I'm okay with pretty much any beer, although sometimes I prefer mule (ginger ale mixed with vodka). I pretty much drink anything but wine, it all just tastes like alcohol to me.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Casual Shinji said:
I rarely if ever drink, but when I do it's usually Baileys, which recently I was told is a ladies drink, but then I also sit down peeing.
Take it to the next level and sit on the urinal.
Silentpony said:
Fun fact though, since I'm in culinary school currently, intoxication is an allergic reaction in your brain. The more drunk you get, closer to pass out, is your brain slowly shutting down from an allergic reaction to the chemicals in the drink. That's what a hangover is - basically the body thought it was going to die and needs to do a hard reboot.
Just make sure you guys stay in culinary school.

Oct 22, 2011
Leg End said:
I don't drink but I'd like to give some stuff a shot. You guys got any suggestions for someone that wants taste over simply getting shitfaced?
Wheat beer(then Porters). Ciders. Gin & tonic. Rum & coke. Mojito. White russian.

EDIT: Examples above are also things that i tend to drink. Don't care much about hard liquors other than occasional shots of vodka. Find the taste of whiskey repulsive. Wine too sour. And didn't particularly like beer either, til i discovered there are other tastes than lager.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I prefer pale ale, blonde ale, golden ale and bitter, but mostly drink lager because it's cheap. (I've concluded that Amstel is the cheapest drinkable lager) Prosecco, Pimm's and lemonade, and rum and ginger beer are nice on special occasions.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I used to be a rum-and-coke sort.

Started with a more coke and rum drink, then eventually you just pass the rum near the coke. By this point, I think I'm amazing, but my friends have stopped talking to me and I haven't noticed. I was regularly told, later, that the sober people usually had a bad time, and didn't enjoy it. Originally I would just scoff, and tell them they should have drank too... but not anymore.

Since my friends have made it clear that I am not welcome/appreciated when this happens, and since it always happens when I drink (I'm an a-to-z drinker: No sense getting a leeetle tipsy, in my mind), I just... stopped drinking. Been without since the day after Hallowe'en. I also stopped drinking soft drinks (because they remind me I like to drink), and stopped drinking fruit drinks like apple and orange juice, too (just thought 'why the hell not', help me lose weight).

I'm not reeeeally happy with this decision, but in tandem with the other things I've given up, I'm hoping it will help me feel better overall/lose some weight, and at least my friends have fucked off about it... even though I'm annoyed by that, too. And although I was welcomed to attend the parties again when they heard that I had stopped, the parties suck now, and I don't go to them because a: I'm sober, and b: most of them are, too... waste of time.

Still love the gang, but just play D&D with them now, every second weekend.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Wine mostly. Red wine only. White wine is the devil.

I drink beer because i enjoy the taste.

My go to "get shitfaced" Drink is sambuca and rootbeer.

I literally cannot drink Gin if my life depended on it.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
the December King said:
I used to be a rum-and-coke sort.

Started with a more coke and rum drink, then eventually you just pass the rum near the coke. By this point, I think I'm amazing, but my friends have stopped talking to me and I haven't noticed. I was regularly told, later, that the sober people usually had a bad time, and didn't enjoy it. Originally I would just scoff, and tell them they should have drank too... but not anymore.

Since my friends have made it clear that I am not welcome/appreciated when this happens, and since it always happens when I drink (I'm an a-to-z drinker: No sense getting a leeetle tipsy, in my mind), I just... stopped drinking. Been without since the day after Hallowe'en. I also stopped drinking soft drinks (because they remind me I like to drink), and stopped drinking fruit drinks like apple and orange juice, too (just thought 'why the hell not', help me lose weight).

I'm not reeeeally happy with this decision, but in tandem with the other things I've given up, I'm hoping it will help me feel better overall/lose some weight, and at least my friends have fucked off about it... even though I'm annoyed by that, too. And although I was welcomed to attend the parties again when they heard that I had stopped, the parties suck now, and I don't go to them because a: I'm sober, and b: most of them are, too... waste of time.

Still love the gang, but just play D&D with them now, every second weekend.
Get better friends. I jest of course. Unless you're gonna do it.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
My poison would be whiskey. Prefer peaty Islay stuff like Laphroaig or Ardbeg, but I like a wide variety of styles and origins.

As a Belgian, I'm also legally obligated to be into beer. Favorites include Gulden Draak, Tripel Karmeliet, Vedett or Houblon Chouffe. Tho I won't pass up a nice cool Jupiler in the summer.

I don't drink much tho. Maybe 1 or 2 drinks a week.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Woodford reserve and bulleit bourbon are my go to drinks. Don't like beer and don't like chickdrinks (fireball style stuff) wine haven't found one I like. They seem to be too strong or way too weak.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ah, booze, glorious booze. Rarely have I met a one I don?t like.

For hard liquors, I?m a vodka and gin guy, favoring to mix them with soda or tonic with a squeeze of lime, but I also like the occasional whisky and 7-Up. For beers, I drink it just infrequently enough that I?m a cheap date; Budweiser or Bud Light get the job done. But when I?m feeling fancy, Stella Artois, Yuengling (which has limited availability in the northeastern US) and Louisiana?s infamous Abita. I steer clear of most IPAs and anything overly-hoppy. For wine, gimme a cabernet? or any wine from the cellar.

Liquor I dislike? Most schnapps, especially cinnamon schnapps; not a fan of the sweet stuff. But the worst liquor? Jagermeister. Jesus, that shit is evil; tastes like something dredge from the very bottom of a septic tank in hell and thrice filtered through sasquatch?s pubic hair immediately following a 5 mile jog during which he was wearing plastic underwear. I think that?s why it?s generally popular with 20-something-year-old bro-dudes; along with its ?acquired? taste, recovering from the brain damage after ingesting copious amounts of it is a rite of passage.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Baffle2 said:
Casual Shinji said:
I rarely if ever drink, but when I do it's usually Baileys, which recently I was told is a ladies drink, but then I also sit down peeing.
It is a ladies' drink, but a very very nice one, especially in winter. Absolutely massive number of calories though.

sneakypenguin said:
Woodford reserve and bulleit bourbon are my go to drinks. Don't like beer and don't like chickdrinks (fireball style stuff) wine haven't found one I like. They seem to be too strong or way too weak.
C?mon, tough guys; booze is gender neutral. Some of it is just more ?mature? than the rest. If you drink cream liqueurs exclusively, you?re not really trying to drink; you like sweets, which is fine. If you drink Fireball, you?re either underage or are buying a round of shots for some casual acquaintances you like slightly more than complete strangers.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Xprimentyl said:
C?mon, tough guys; booze is gender neutral. Some of it is just more ?mature? than the rest. If you drink cream liqueurs exclusively, you?re not really trying to drink; you like sweets, which is fine. If you drink Fireball, you?re either underage or are buying a round of shots for some casual acquaintances you like slightly more than complete strangers.
I think I was pretty clear that Bailey's is more commonly drunk by women (which it is, and is also marketed as such [well, used to be, I haven't had a TV in about 5 years]), but that I also enjoy it. I tried Tia Maria the other day and it was a bit like drinking mud.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Silentpony said:
Saelune said:
I like a virgin Rum & Coke.
The only thing virgins should be involved in is sacrifices to the Volcano Monkey God Hamamrambu.

Jokes aside, I just prefer a glass of whisky over ice. Mix drinks are great and all, but so many calories and loads of extra sugar.
Fun fact though, since I'm in culinary school currently, intoxication is an allergic reaction in your brain. The more drunk you get, closer to pass out, is your brain slowly shutting down from an allergic reaction to the chemicals in the drink. That's what a hangover is - basically the body thought it was going to die and needs to do a hard reboot.
Favorite brand? I used to think I hated whisky until I tried Japanese stuff. Turns out I hate the taste of peat, and now that I know that I enjoy a variety from the origin and a few abroad. Nirasaki is my favorite, with stillwater a close second.

Mar 30, 2010
Currently six months into a detox, so no drinking for me. :(

It's ok, I'll just sit here and get an association high from your boozy anecdotes.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm a fan of gin, rum, lager, red wine, Scotch ale, Guinness, Pernod, whiskey and, in particular, amaretto. Obviously in separate glasses.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Beer and scotch mostly though I've been known to drink anything, given the right circumstances. I can appreciate a good 18 year but I also don't mind the cheap stuff. It got me through grad school. I have quite the collection of whiskeys and other exotic liquors from all around Asia that I don't really drink also. They just look pretty.

In first year, many moons ago, all I drank were vodka martinis because I thought they made me seem cool. I was wrong. Didn't get laid once.

Truthfully though, I haven't really been drinking a lot lately. I kind of got bored of going out and getting wrecked up, fun as it is. Plus I've been seeing this new woman and she's a lightweight so I can't really get drunk with her anyway because she ends up wasted while I'm still rocking a hard buzz. She got fined by the cops after creating a ruckus with a cabbie one particularly messy night not so long ago and so we both decided we should stay away from the sauce until she sorts her anger issues out.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Chewster said:
In first year, many moons ago, all I drank were vodka martinis because I thought they made me seem cool. I was wrong. Didn't get laid once.
Ah, how could I forget my beloved martinis?? I won?t go as far as to say I thought they?d make me seem cool, but something about their apparent elegance in popular culture (particularly films) intrigued me. The first one I tried, I was disgusted and pretty disappointed; I hate olives and should have guessed. But the bartender offered me a Gibson martini, gin and vermouth with a cocktail onion instead of an olive; LOVED it and have loved them ever since. But back to their ?elegance,? yeah? after two, I?m pretty tanked. It?s become a joke between me and my drinking buddies; everyone sticks to their ?normal? drinks, but when I?m feeling feisty, I?ll order my Gibson. They?ve dubbed it the ?Oh Shit,? so named after the phrase invariably uttered when they see me coming with one?