Let's Talk About Booze:

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Beer: I prefer either a fairly neutral lager like Stella or Grolsch, or an easy-to-drink ale like Hobgoblin. If I'm in the mood perhaps John Smith's Bitter or one or two Guinnesses. I would love to claim that I've become a beer connoisseur with age but... there's so much frankly nasty beer out there that I keep scurrying back to the comfort zone. I went to a beer festival recently and so many of the fancy-named microbrews were variations on acidic, cloudy hop-water that I left rather disillusioned. In this recent hot weather I've been loving a few lager shandies - for my money, a bog standard Foster's is the best lager for this (and not much else, sorry Aussies.)

Spirits: I've been enjoying whiskey and coke rather too much this last year and am trying to avoid having it in the house.

Cider: Drank this stuff like water for decades, I find it too sweet and sickly these days.

Wine: Nah. In a restaurant with a nice meal maybe, but never just to drink by itself.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Is Hoegaarden popular in Belgium? Or is it mocked the same way Fosters is hated in Australia?

Hoegaarden is my favorite, but mostly any wheat beer will do for me.

Chimpzy said:
...Prefer peaty Islay stuff like Laphroaig...
Ah, the campfire you can drink! I bought a bottle of Lagavulin once.

Once.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
Definitely an islay and rye person here. Neat, or on occasion, in a chilled glass. Also more into porters and stouts than anything else, really don't like hoppy shit any more. I can't be trusted around a sixer of saison.

Funny thing is, even though I practically live in Kentucky, I have little time for bourbon. The only two brands I really like are Knob Creek and Bulleit. I'm not to be trusted around a bottle of Bulleit rye, either.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Frezzato said:
Is Hoegaarden popular in Belgium? Or is it mocked the same way Fosters is hated in Australia?

Hoegaarden is my favorite, but mostly any wheat beer will do for me.
Hoegaarden is not as popular as it once was, but it's still up there. Pilsner beers like Jupiler, Stella Artois and Maes are top 3, but Hoegaarden is definitely in the top 10. Probably somewhere in the middle, spot 5-6 or something.

And no, we don't mock Hoegaarden. I don't think I've ever heard anyone do. I myself, quite like a nice, ice cold Hoegaarden. It's a perfect beer to enjoy while in good company sitting outside a bar on a sunny summer afternoon. Maybe some idiot teenagers talk trash about it because it's not good for getting shitfaced fast, but those usually wise up eventually.

Chimpzy said:
...Prefer peaty Islay stuff like Laphroaig...
Ah, the campfire you can drink! I bought a bottle of Lagavulin once.

Once.
Yeah, peaty whiskey is a love it or hate it thing. No lie there.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Never started drinking, have yet to see a good enough reason to start at this point.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
I Feel it odd that nobody outside the UK has ever developed a good cider.

Canadian ciders are nauseatingly sweet, maybe the apples are different, maybe they overload it with sugar. Either way, I pay 30 cents extra per can.

Also, as a far more controversial opinion, people who drink beer but who do not enjoy really hoppy beer should just admit what kind of people they really are and switch to the sweet girly type drinks.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
jademunky said:
Also, as a far more controversial opinion, people who drink beer but who do not enjoy really hoppy beer should just admit what kind of people they really are and switch to the sweet girly type drinks.
...the kind of people who can tell a quality beer from obnoxious hipster microbrews made by people who don't know a grain bill from a sewer bill? :p

[Riffing more on the tendency of brewers to go overboard on bittering hops to compensate for poor grains, subpar grain bills, and/or deficiencies in their process, or those who add hops too early or treat bittering hops as if they're aromatics, than I am people who like hoppy beers. No matter how bad their palates may be.]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I tend to just do beer, but if I do mix drinks I like whiskey sours but oj mixed with wine and sparkling wine is good too.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Eacaraxe said:
...the kind of people who can tell a quality beer from obnoxious hipster microbrews made by people who don't know a grain bill from a sewer bill? :p

[Riffing more on the tendency of brewers to go overboard on bittering hops to compensate for poor grains, subpar grain bills, and/or deficiencies in their process, or those who add hops too early or treat bittering hops as if they're aromatics, than I am people who like hoppy beers. No matter how bad their palates may be.]
Yeah. people who suck and are lame!

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I personally don't like to drink, I don't like how I feel when I get drunk I either act like a moron and feel super ashamed afterwards or I get super depressed and just start sulking & crying.

But fun fact!

The first time I ever got drunk I was alone at home and I went ahead & spammed this forum with absolute nonsense, like I think I made like 20 posts in like 2 hours & most of it was nonsense, it was funny but kinda pathetic & depressing, pretty sure I was crying at the keyboard.

Mar 30, 2010
Kaleion said:
I personally * like to drink, I * like how I feel when I get drunk, I act like a moron and feel super ashamed afterwards.
*Edited to explain precisely why I drink! :)

OT - I've calmed down a *lot* in the last few years, but I still like the odd tipple every now and again. I cook a lot for friends and family, and dinner round at mine can entail more than a few bottles of wine before the evening draws to a close (between all of us, of course!).

Other than that I try to limit myself to the odd pint after work - but if I happen to bump into old friends from before I calmed down I can, erm, regress somewhat. Then it's a case of shooters all round and last one standing. :p

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm quite a frequent drinker, & have been to the same beer festival for the last 5 years.

Usual drinks are stout & porter, ale, gin, & fruit beer if it's hot and I can get hold of it.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Palindromemordnilap said:
jademunky said:
I Feel it odd that nobody outside the UK has ever developed a good cider.
Not a fan of Swedish ciders? I tend to quite like those when I'm not going for a somerset dry
Dunno, I'll see if the liquor stores here in Canada carry Swedish imports.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Craft beer or scotch/whiskey. But I'll drink just about anything, really. Big fan of sour beers recently.

Don't drink nearly as much as I used to these days though, partially because I've moved a lot and all my old hard drinking friends are gone, partially because my girlfriend is a lightweight so that means I get to take care of her if we go drink for drink and, to be honest, partially because I drank myself bored the past few years. It's just not fun any more.

I've had more than my share of drunk fuck ups, done years of hard weekends, drinking from after work until the sun started to come up on both Friday and Saturday (with Sundays left for regret) and I've gone on benders alone and it just gets so tiresome and boring after a while. I also smoke socially and so if I don't drink, I have no real urge to smoke so my desire to stay away from tobacco these days helps.

I still manage to get into it now and again though, usually when I let myself get swept up in the fun of a festival or whatever else.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Xprimentyl said:
Ah, booze, glorious booze. Rarely have I met a one I don?t like.

For hard liquors, I?m a vodka and gin guy, favoring to mix them with soda or tonic with a squeeze of lime, but I also like the occasional whisky and 7-Up. For beers, I drink it just infrequently enough that I?m a cheap date; Budweiser or Bud Light get the job done. But when I?m feeling fancy, Stella Artois, Yuengling (which has limited availability in the northeastern US) and Louisiana?s infamous Abita. I steer clear of most IPAs and anything overly-hoppy. For wine, gimme a cabernet? or any wine from the cellar.

Liquor I dislike? Most schnapps, especially cinnamon schnapps; not a fan of the sweet stuff. But the worst liquor? Jagermeister. Jesus, that shit is evil; tastes like something dredge from the very bottom of a septic tank in hell and thrice filtered through sasquatch?s pubic hair immediately following a 5 mile jog during which he was wearing plastic underwear. I think that?s why it?s generally popular with 20-something-year-old bro-dudes; along with its ?acquired? taste, recovering from the brain damage after ingesting copious amounts of it is a rite of passage.

Agreed on the Jager. Absolutely disgusting. Might as well be drinking liquified potpourri after it?s been dipped in ever tar pool in Black Gulch and The Rotten pissed and farted out the remains of a millennia worth of fallen undead souls in it.

Myself, I?ve always been a bourbon fan and am not very picky about it, but also enjoy a few microbrews. Two Hearted is usually a go-to when out to dinner.

Jan 27, 2011
I'm one step removed from a "casual drinker". I don't do beer, it takes like crap to me.

So, when I want a chill evening, I grab some kind of malt drink (Usually an Ice Poppers), or make a rum and coke.

My younger brother's the real connoisseur in the house, and often shares his own mixes with me when he has some. He's pretty good at knowing what mixes well.

Palindromemordnilap said:
My personal stash is mostly stocked with mead at the moment. I adore the stuff and the Christmas markets were full of bottles of it this year
Yup. Mead is amazing. It's so amazingly sweet that it's incredible. I make a point to pick up a bottle every year and I try to make it last. :)

Whoever thought "hey, let's make booze out of honey" was a goddamn genius.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
Bourbon, neat. If I'm drinking cocktails I'll usually try something new every time, but I enjoy gin cocktails, caipirinha, and million dollar.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
aegix drakan said:
Yup. Mead is amazing. It's so amazingly sweet that it's incredible. I make a point to pick up a bottle every year and I try to make it last. :)

Whoever thought "hey, let's make booze out of honey" was a goddamn genius.
Honestly, anyone can brew their own mead. It's dead simple, cheaper than buying the stuff, and the safest form of home brewing imaginable.