Let's talk about the games that don't use mysogynistic, transphobic or racist tropes.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Journey. You play a mysterious hooded figure of unknown gender and your objective is to keep moving forward towards the mountain. I haven't played in 5 months so I think its time to give it another go.
Guerilla said:
thundra said:
Guerilla said:
thundra said:
Spacewar, snake and tetris only games i can think of
Snake glorifies masculinity as you play with a phallic symbol that keeps getting larger and larger. Where is the female representation in that game? WHERE?
HAHAHA HA YOU SO FUNNY
I agree, sexism and misogynism are NOT funny. We're trying to free society from the tyranny of men here, there's no room for humor or the so-called "fun".
Its OK. I'll laugh at your jokes.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Zhukov said:
Really? Do you remember who/where he was?

My memories are fuzzy as hell. I was like 9 when I first played these. I only really remember them because they were my first experience of story in games, so they kind of stuck.
I think he was in one of the towns in upper exile in Exile3...which limits it a bit, there were 5 towns there (if you include Fort Emergence and the Vahnatai place), and there were fairly small.

Saxnot

Mar 1, 2010
Saint's row, obviously. also civilization.
Basically, games where the traits of the characters that are nonstandard are not made a big deal out of, are pretty inclusive.

Notshauna

May 12, 2014
Most of them, and there is a difference between having some degree sexism, homophobia, racism and transphobia (and more but I'd be here all day if I listed every one) and being sexist and so on. Even the best games can sometimes make mistakes, The Sims for example has historically been limited toward same sex couples, disallowing them from conceiving (though I can understand this) and offering in general lower amount of content for same sex couples (not allowing marriage until the Sims 3, also understandable). Saints Row 3 is at time a little sexist and if I remember correctly a little transphobic (I've not yet played Saints row IV so I can't comment on it yet). You take the good with the bad.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom

I'm going to err on the side of "most of them" as well.

I've played many, many, many games in my life and I don't recall a single one being what I'd truly consider to be "sexist, transphobic, or racist." Though, to be fair, subjective things are subjective. *shrug*

runequester

Aug 6, 2010
Random Fella said:
Slowly we as a community by pointing out all of the tiny flaws in games are going to suck the fun completely out of them.
By making games more and more PC, you're most likely going to force game designers to shy away from great game ideas because they'll always have the ideals of sexism/racism/whateverelseism no matter how minor.
What great game ideas have you seen that require racism or sexism?

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
grassgremlin said:
This is my first forum topic and the discussion is simple.
I want to open the door to the positive aspects of video games. Let's discuss the games that do make an effort to show diversity.
The title of the thread and the opening sentence present two different topics. I think people are going to get confused by this while discussing.

As for the title "Let's talk about games that aren't sexist, transphobic or racist." I'm gonna go with most of them. The vast majority.

As for the opening sentence, I'd perhaps go with Dark Souls for starters. Enemies and allies of all races and "genders" (if you can give a gargoyle a gender). Even the regular scrub undead you fight near the start have mixed genders, going off memory.

The Witcher 1 (haven't played 2(haven't finished 1 either, please no spoilers)) had a good effort at diversity, even though some decry it as sexist for the way it handles sex. It contains a vast amount of different creeds, races, religions, etc, and I expect it'll only grow the more I play on.

Edit: And I suppose Skyrim would count too, what wth the matching of gender, race, class, and position being pretty much random. Although that might just be the result of all the characters being bland anyway. (Haven't played any DLCs)

Nanondorf

May 6, 2014
What is this. Political correctnes sucks a lot of fun out of the games. Okay, I understand the whole need for diversity, and am all in for it, but the negative elements of society are a great source of conflict in all games that seek to depict realism as far as humans are concerned.
Take racism out of Bioshock Infinite, you get a city in the clouds where everyone is flinging crows at one another for fun.
Take racism out of The Witcher, you got no Scoia'Tael, nor discrimination against witchers, and the story becomes more bland.
Conflict is what makes stories like that, and disparity in privileges between is a great source of conflict.

Now since my objections are slightly off topic, I suppose I should add my two cents on diversity.
Bioware games tend to be very free-spirited as far as sexuality goes, but in Dragon Age Origins, they give you a bisexual bard, a bisexual elf and a gay mage(Awakening). (and if you let the former two tag along with you, you just might end up having an orgy in a part of the game) So we got that covered at least.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
thundra said:
Spacewar, snake and tetris only games i can think of
thundra said:
Guerilla said:
thundra said:
Guerilla said:
thundra said:
Guerilla said:
Yes, that's the way to disprove the claims that you have no tolerance for humor, by telling me to fuck off when I'm just kidding.
I literally find you boring. You are not George Carling. If you had least little originality i might consider. You are not funny in the slightest
Oh, so do you always tell people that you find boring to fuck off and go away? So you're in a group of friends, let's say 10 people, and someone makes a joke which you find boring; what you immediately do, naturally, is to tell them to fuck off, right?
On the internet yes. Now leave me alone or i will report you for annoying me on purpose i don't want to talk to you.
You're the one who stalked me in the other thread and were "advising" BloatedGuppy not to bother with me. Also this isn't how forums work, when you quote me I can reply, you can't just order someone to stop talking to you just so that you can have the final word.
Because i think its waste of time talking someone like you leave me fuck alone or i will report you
And this is the true face of 3rd wave feminism my friends. "Yes, these are the ONLY games that aren't sexist, and if you don't agree with me you can fuck off and die!"

I would also point out that this person posted on a recent thread of mine her desire to create a game where she could oppress "cis white males", and on pressing about whether she was joking or not she refused to confirm. I don't like to throw the word misandry around but I honestly don't know what else you would call that.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I'm going to answer your question with another question...can you tell me some games that are definately sexist/racist etc-ist? For all the crap i've been reading here recently i haven't heard of a single one. Sure, they use tropes *shudders at the pathetic word and it's connotations* but i'd be more amused if a game left the princess to die in the tower because the PC crew think men shouldn't help women in games because it makes them look weak...in their respective imaginary, pure fantasy, not-based-on-life-fiction worlds. Let's make some games that are pure fact so we can dispel the madness...we could have classics like 'avoid the catholic priest pacman', 'rape of a teenager 2 - back for more', 'human trafficking saga' and 'exploitation of white girls - street grooming' just to name a few.

Of course i'm taking the piss...

But to answer your question about games that aren't blah blah blah-ist i've got to say every game i have ever played.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
How many racist games out there is it anyway? Not to mention transphobic, I've personally never even seen a game where transsexuals were demeaned

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
I don't remember a game in recent history that outright attacked a minorty group for no reason.

Can someone enlighten me to these games? Like honestly.

And I don't mean stuff like boob armor or Lara Croft being killed.
I mean outright, blatantly hateful.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
TheKasp said:
Mandalore_15 said:
And this is the true face of 3rd wave feminism my friends. "Yes, these are the ONLY games that aren't sexist, and if you don't agree with me you can fuck off and die!"

I would also point out that this person posted on a recent thread of mine her desire to create a game where she could oppress "cis white males", and on pressing about whether she was joking or not she refused to confirm. I don't like to throw the word misandry around but I honestly don't know what else you would call that.
Yes, lets use one person to judge a whole movement / community.

Cross Assault: All gamers are sexist and racist and they try their best to keep their 'space' racist and sexist because it is the way they want it to have.
Well, now you're comparing an ideology to a hobby.

Thats like trying to compare communism to model train enthusiasts.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
CannibalCorpses said:
I'm going to answer your question with another question...can you tell me some games that are definately sexist/racist etc-ist? For all the crap i've been reading here recently i haven't heard of a single one. Sure, they use tropes *shudders at the pathetic word and it's connotations* but i'd be more amused if a game left the princess to die in the tower because the PC crew think men shouldn't help women in games because it makes them look weak...in their respective imaginary, pure fantasy, not-based-on-life-fiction worlds. Let's make some games that are pure fact so we can dispel the madness...we could have classics like 'avoid the catholic priest pacman', 'rape of a teenager 2 - back for more', 'human trafficking saga' and 'exploitation of white girls - street grooming' just to name a few.

Of course i'm taking the piss...

But to answer your question about games that aren't blah blah blah-ist i've got to say every game i have ever played.
Metro Last Light. I love that game...I really freaking do, but it's portrayal of women is fucking APPALLING! They have three flavors. Domestic caretakers, strippers who show off their boobies, and victims. The sole exception is the lone soldier Anna, who helps you twice in combat, once in a starting piss easy battle and the other was a boss fight where I don't recall her doing much, then she gets kidnapped, rescued by the main character she had mockingly called rabbit at the start of the game, has sex with him despite their lack of chemistry or anything resembling a romantic relationship, then drops off the face of the Earth and doesn't go to the final battle, and is only seen in one of the endings after that, taking care of the main character's baby. So she dips into all three of the archtypes that Metro can seem to have about women.

I love that game, I freaking do, but it just makes me want to break something every time I see an otherwise brilliant game delve into such uninspired cliches

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
erttheking said:
Metro Last Light. I love that game...I really freaking do, but it's portrayal of women is fucking APPALLING! They have three flavors. Domestic caretakers, strippers who show off their boobies, and victims. The sole exception is the lone soldier Anna, who helps you twice in combat, once in a starting piss easy battle and the other was a boss fight where I don't recall her doing much, then she gets kidnapped, rescued by the main character she had mockingly called rabbit at the start of the game, has sex with him despite their lack of chemistry or anything resembling a romantic relationship, then drops off the face of the Earth and doesn't go to the final battle, and is only seen in one of the endings after that, taking care of the main character's baby. So she dips into all three of the archtypes that Metro can seem to have about women.

I love that game, I freaking do, but it just makes me want to break something every time I see an otherwise brilliant game delve into such uninspired cliches
What exactly is wrong with the portrayal there?
The fact she isn't just fodder for the monsters or that women are shown social importance in the society?
It all comes down to personal interpretation of characters. While I would say the whole romance bit sounds like a forced shit show but just because females aren't in fighting roles or do something which is considered "feminine" isn't poor representation, especially when you consider the other side of the spectrum. Being a soldier in Metro universe isn't a glory job. It isn't something someone would choose when better alternatives are available. Also, I resent your implication that strippers are inherently bad.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
TheKasp said:
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
Well, now you're comparing an ideology to a hobby.

Thats like trying to compare communism to model train enthusiasts.
No, I'm not. I'm using the actions and statements of one individuum to make a statement about a community / practicioners of an idiology or hobby. The same shit that you did.
You are too blinding with zeal to even notice that the guy isn't even the one who originally made that statement

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Vibhor said:
erttheking said:

What exactly is wrong with the portrayal there?
The fact she isn't just fodder for the monsters or that women are shown social importance in the society?
It all comes down to personal interpretation of characters. While I would say the whole romance bit sounds like a forced shit show but just because females aren't in fighting roles or do something which is considered "feminine" isn't poor representation, especially when you consider the other side of the spectrum. Being a soldier in Metro universe isn't a glory job. It isn't something someone would choose when better alternatives are available. Also, I resent your implication that strippers are inherently bad.
Social importance? They aren't shown any social importance! They don't lead, they don't build, they don't farm, they don't salvage, they cook and look after children! When they aren't almost getting raped and shaking their asses! It isn't about them having a different but still important role in society, it's lazy writing pure and simple.

(Oh trust me it is) To be perfectly honest, I didn't think sexism when there was a lack of female soldiers in 2033. I thought "Well, maybe this society is SUPPOSED to be sexist". Then Last Light happened and despite the leader of the Rangers saying that the sole female soldier that they had was their best sniper, praise that she fails utterly at living up to. She's a Faux Action Girl, a symptom of bad writing And I'm the last person to criticize people for doing something feminine, but in Metro society, women don't hold any sway whatsoever. No female leaders, no women making any important decisions, their positions mirror that of 1950s America. Being domestic caretakers are the only roles they can have, even though it doesn't make any sense. Yes, being a soldier isn't a glory job, but it's a very needed one, so why would they limit themselves? The strategy of the Red Line is to just give every able bodies person a rifle and throw them at the enemy till the enemy dies, but they don't have female soldiers? Why? What sense does that make? The Red Army that they're based on did that! Why would they give up perfectly good cannon fodder? And don't say it's because they're trying to preserve the population of the Human race, trust me, the Red Line does not care at all about that.

I did not mean to imply that. They are however bad when they exist to do nothing but show a bit of skin for the sake of titillation, especially in a game that has a bad track record with women already.