Little Chocobo Hints at Direct Sequel to Final Fantasy XIII

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
I can't of completed more than 2% of XIII. That's not for lack of trying but every time I do play it I get bored after 5-10 minutes.

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
Ok...FFX-2 was bad...so bad that I actually deny its existence...but that doesn't mean FFXIII-2 has to meet the same fate...maybe Square Enix learned from their mistakes and FFXIII-2 is even fun to play...I think it is a bit premature to assume a game is crap before knowing anything about it except its title...

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Skopintsev said:
dradiscontact said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
i don't see how a cash-in sequel to an already pretty terrible game would work, can they really make something THAT poor? Well i guess we will have to wait and see...
D_987 said:
Why make a sequel to a game that was so poorly received? This isn't like FFX; which was positively received at the time, FFXIII got some poor reviews, from both critics and fans - why would you want to make a sequel to such a terrible game?
Maybe you guys know something that I don't, but FFXIII has an 83 out of 100 score on metacritic. Obviously that's not as high as earlier games, but it's still a positive score. Do you think a game needs to score above 90 to be considered a success? FFXIII was the fastest selling Final Fantasy game Square has ever released. It must have been pretty successful if Square is considering a direct sequel.
Sales don't always equate to popularity. Devil May Cry 2 for example, is still the fastest selling DMC out of the 4 games and its by far the worst both critically and in popularity.

...I enjoyed it in some ways...
I have to add that Final Fantasy VIII outsold Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX by a rather large margin. As much as I love Final Fantasy VIII, I have to admit that Final Fantasy IX is a more popular game, that Final Fantasy VII is widely considered one of the best RPGs of all time and that many consider Final Fantasy VIII a failure. Quality has almost little to do with sales.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Mike Laserbeam said:
But with the step down in quality from X to X-2 applied to XIII... Is it possible to make a game so poor...?
I don't- I just don't know anymore.

I can't see any possible way this can be any good at all.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Gxas said:
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
Gxas said:
No. Bad. We've already seen that direct sequels don't work for Final Fantasy games. Spinoffs rarely work, either.
Final Fanatsy Spinoff's rarely work? Clearly you haven't played Dissidia, Dirge of Cereberus, or even Crisis Core cause all 3 of those games were awesome and fun.
Played Dirge. It made me go "Eh..."

Heard terrible things about Crisis Core from my friend.

Never played Dissidia.
Ahh! Crisis Core is awesome! Aside from Genesis, I mean, what the hell?

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
oden636 said:
not really sure i enjoyed XIII tbh. i know i wanted too but was just not feeling the combat at all. when x-2 came out i was still young so i sort of have that nostalgic ability to look back and remember the highlights. i would say X is in my top 5 games so anything to do in that world only made me happier. I also liked that team that paine used too be in. was cool.
Paine was awesome, it was like having Pat Benatar in the party.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
Erja_Perttu said:
Mike Laserbeam said:
But with the step down in quality from X to X-2 applied to XIII... Is it possible to make a game so poor...?
I don't- I just don't know anymore.

I can't see any possible way this can be any good at all.
Unless... A negative minus a negative... No! It could never work...

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Gxas said:
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
Gxas said:
No. Bad. We've already seen that direct sequels don't work for Final Fantasy games. Spinoffs rarely work, either.
Final Fanatsy Spinoff's rarely work? Clearly you haven't played Dissidia, Dirge of Cereberus, or even Crisis Core cause all 3 of those games were awesome and fun.
Played Dirge. It made me go "Eh..."

Heard terrible things about Crisis Core from my friend.

Never played Dissidia.
Untrue about Crisis Core, Its preety good, and how can you judge a game if you never played it yourself? and Dissidia was fun too.

hurfdurp

Jun 7, 2010
I just don't want it to be so linear. I want to explore all over and have nice random encounters so I can figure out how the heck those summon things work with all the button pressing and what-not.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Josdeb said:
I guess this means I actually have to buckle down and finish XIII.
(Stupid save file and it's stupid dying... I was almost finished then, bang!, gone)

Oh, I should probably add that I was one of the 5 people on this planet who enjoyed X-2
Make that Six

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
I don't care that it's hated. I don't care that X-2 sucked.

I am so excited its not even measurable. I loved 13, and I want more of it.

skibadaa

Jun 13, 2009
Arehexes said:
Josdeb said:
(Stupid save file and it's stupid dying... I was almost finished then, bang!, gone)

Oh, I should probably add that I was one of the 5 people on this planet who enjoyed X-2
Make that Six
Make that seven :D X-2 was awesome. Freeform mission based story progression, with an upgradeable classwapping combat/experience system? Now thats what i call a quality RPG! Yes the story had some weak points where they layered on the cheese so much it was painfull (yunas concert in the thunder plains, yuk!) but that was happily made up for by a strong gamplay experience that had discernable consiquences to player actions that affected overall plot development and thus providing tangeble depth to the story.

And yeah, dont bother finishing XIII, youd be spending your time better watching paint dry, at least paint is less annoying. I stopped playing after about 25 hours because i just wanted all of the characters to die, painfully. I turned it off and started playing Chrono Trigger on my snes emulator to remind myself what a good game is like and to get all nostalgic about when the squaresoft brand was a mark of quality, now theyve gone all Lucasarts.... *chunders*

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Josdeb said:

And I was another of those five. Now, I'm going to quote myself, from the non-News Room thread that was made on this same topic, since I honestly can't be arsed to write out my post all over again.

Trivun said:
Super Toast said:
Yeah, because EVERYONE loved XIII. What the fuck Square-Enix?
And out come all the haters. Only quoting one at random because I honestly can't be bothered to quote everyone who claims to have hated the game. I have one thing to say to you all. If you don't like a game, DON'T BLOODY BUY IT! IF A REVIEW SAYS THAT THE GAME IS REALLY LINEAR, AND YOU DON'T LIKE A LINEAR GAME, THEN DON'T BUY THE GAME THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT IT! Seriously, people, this is not rocket science. Anyway, there have been plenty of FF games that were really linear and had similar characters or plot points and stuff and people love those (for example, FFX, or FFVII...). So why all the hate for FF13? It's just pointless and confusing...

Anyway, I love FF13. I actually like the characters, even (gasp!) Hope. I love the combat, the Paradigm system is innovative and useful enough to help you out when you need help without making the entire thing too easy (I have a fairly powerful party and still die in battle on occasion...), and is a great blend of the ATB system from FFX-2 and the more real time system from FF12. The plot is actually pretty decent, even if you do need to read the datalogs to get the full story. It's hardly a massive concern having to read a datalog every so often, you only need it for the backstory really, which is easy to figure out from dialogue and events in the game anyway.

Overall, to me, FF13 is a great game and a worthy addition to the Final Fantasy series. So I'm pretty pleased that a sequel may be on the horizon. The only thing that would make me happier now regarding the series is if Square Enix turn around and announce that the other games in the Fabula Nova Crystalis set will be released multi-platfrom like FF13 was. I still think it's unfair as an Xbox owner I should only be able to play one of the games, after all, whereas PS3 owners get all of them... :(

iamthelizardqueen88

Dec 10, 2010
Josdeb said:
*gasp* so there really are others out there like me!?

OT: how could Square possibly make a direct sequel to XIII in order cash in on it? I mean isnt the main rule of doing that you know starting with something that isnt so incredibly bad it turns a franchises long time fans (like me) away from future installments in the series?

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
skibadaa said:
Arehexes said:
Josdeb said:

Make that Six
Make that seven :D X-2 was awesome. Freeform mission based story progression, with an upgradeable classwapping combat/experience system? Now thats what i call a quality RPG! Yes the story had some weak points where they layered on the cheese so much it was painfull (yunas concert in the thunder plains, yuk!) but that was happily made up for by a strong gamplay experience that had discernable consiquences to player actions that affected overall plot development and thus providing tangeble depth to the story.

And yeah, dont bother finishing XIII, youd be spending your time better watching paint dry, at least paint is less annoying. I stopped playing after about 25 hours because i just wanted all of the characters to die, painfully. I turned it off and started playing Chrono Trigger on my snes emulator to remind myself what a good game is like and to get all nostalgic about when the squaresoft brand was a mark of quality, now theyve gone all Lucasarts.... *chunders*
I already beat FFXIII and to be honest...who was the bad guy? I mean I play a lot of RPGS and I follow the story well but wow >_> just WOW was that a bad story.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
I'll admit that XIII was underwhelming. The differences between the second and third disks was somewhat jarring as difficulty shot upward like a rocket. But people have been referring to XIII as an experiment by Square-Enix, so I'm betting if there is going to be a sequel, it could be considered a refined product, in a sense. It might be better, keyword being 'might'. It's a highly subjective matter.

Dragonpit

Nov 10, 2010
Arehexes said:
skibadaa said:
Arehexes said:
Josdeb said:

Make that Six

I already beat FFXIII and to be honest...who was the bad guy? I mean I play a lot of RPGS and I follow the story well but wow >_> just WOW was that a bad story.
That's just it; there doesn't have to be a bad guy. You have the protagonists, i.e. the characters you played with, and the antagonists, whom I won't mention due to spoilers. Things aren't always so easily defined as black and white, which is true even for make-believe stories. But if you need to make the definition that badly, just go ahead and say the antagonists were the bad guys there. They are the closest at fitting the bill.

That said, I think the ending for XIII wasn't pulled off all that well. They certainly could have done better.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand Square has officially lost me. Throughout my early childhood and up until high school, they were my favorite company but now...they just keep making the most retarded decisions I've EVER seen a game company make.

What makes me simply awestruck at how idiotic this whole thing is, is that usually their best supporter, their own country of Japan, fucking HATED FF13. I think it was the most-returned title in the history of games in the country or something, I remember a news-story and pictures and everything! Time to write a letter...on the off chance someone will see it...or I can get a chuckle from one of you guys.

Dear Square,

Please stop absorbing yourself into your own anus about everything you do. Please learn to apply polish, where polish is needed (Not cutscenes). Please stop making everying look like a goddamn J-Pop cyber-punk fanfiction. Please stop firing your competent employees, and if you do, please do not block them out once they have made a company that makes much better titles than you (Lost Odyssey). And finally Square, please, PLEASE, start listening to people. It's okay that you don't listen to us fans who have been with you since Garland was pimping about, we understand you hate us. But from a business standpoint, please, listen to your accountants. I can only imagine they all died from mass-suicide at how poor your numbers are going right now.

Thanks you.

A man who once had his internet persona as "Forever-Fantasy", Frankie DiSalvo.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Trivun said:
So why all the hate for FF13? It's just pointless and confusing...
It's really not that difficult to understand why there's so much hate for such a game many dislike. The reasoning behind this "hate" has been explained many times, and it's not even the linearity that's the core issue, though that's certainly a problem. The product is a disgrace to game design. Furthermore, your claim that you should immediately trust reviews [those same reviews giving this horrible game ridiculously high scores] because they say the game is linear is a poor point to make, especially considering those same reviews failed to mention what a horrendously broken storyline the game has...

Anyway, which is easy to figure out from dialogue and events in the game anyway.
If you think you understand the storyline of the game there's a very, very high chance you don't because there's nothing "easy" about actually understanding what occurs within the game...primarily because they didn't finish the game, there were quite literally [according to interviews I've seen quoted though I couldn't find the source again] cut-scenes that never made it to the game because they didn't finish them in time...they had 5 years and they didn't explain the story properly because they didn't finish the game in time - that's how badly mis-managed the game was...

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Dragonpit said:
Arehexes said:
skibadaa said:
Arehexes said:
Josdeb said:

Make that Six

That's just it; there doesn't have to be a bad guy. You have the protagonists, i.e. the characters you played with, and the antagonists, whom I won't mention due to spoilers. Things aren't always so easily defined as black and white, which is true even for make-believe stories. But if you need to make the definition that badly, just go ahead and say the antagonists were the bad guys there. They are the closest at fitting the bill.

That said, I think the ending for XIII wasn't pulled off all that well. They certainly could have done better.
Well the story didn't help with the fact that I didn't know who to root for, should I cheer for the head of cocoon or the rag tag group. Because to be honest a story can have it to were both sides are not "evil" or "good" but you know the protagonists is from motivation against the antagonist. It doesn't have to be black and white but it be easy if the story was better told. Because having the data log help tell the story does not help a story driven game out when it is cut scene heavy.