Live Action Halo: Reach Trailer Depicts Spartan Sacrifice

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Live Action Halo: Reach Trailer Depicts Spartan Sacrifice

A new live action trailer for Halo: Reach shows what the Battle of Reach would look like if it happened in real life.

Microsoft calls the latest "Birth of a Spartan" [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282837725&sr=8-2] which depicts a Spartan... being born, this one shows what things look like on Reach after the powderkeg explodes.

Filmed on location in Prague, it depicts a battle between the alien Covenant race and the UNSC forces of Reach. I've somehow kept myself from become engrossed in the world of Halo since the original game's release, but even I think this trailer is really cool, and it makes me think the ethereal Halo movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93760-Steven-Spielberg-to-Produce-New-Halo-Movie-Project] would be a good idea. Associated with Halo or not, this trailer is also just a great sci-fi live action short.

What surprises and pleases me is how these shorts are directed so that they express a feeling of emotion rather than just trying to throw a bunch of explosions and gunfire together. Microsoft and Bungie's frame of mind in promoting Reach seems to be to tug at our heartstrings due to the the sacrifices that the game's soldiers and Spartans made in the Battle of Reach. They might be going a little too far, because ultimately most people will probably buy Halo: Reach just to shoot each other's faces off and fly around on jetpacks [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98815-Nifty-Halo-Reach-Multiplayer-Trailer-Features-Jetpacks], but this trailer at least has me more interested in the game's single-player story too.

Just in case you forgot, Halo: Reach will be out on September 14.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
I enjoyed it, shame it's not in 720p, or even 1080, which you think this would be filmed in.

Anyway, I'm majorly excited for both aspects of Reach.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Even more evidence that a well-directed Halo-based movie would be ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, even for people who wouldn't like the games that much. The whole universe has everything in it to produce movies all over the sci-fi spectrum.

Dammit, why did Blomkamp and Jackson split up! They were the pérfect combination for it! Spielberg....ehhhh, I don't know.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Hm. Thought he was carrying a baby at first. Would've been pretty hard-hitting, but I doubt an infant would have had the same impact on the ship.

It worries me that this proves how good graphics have become, since I had to watch it twice to work out which parts aren't CGI.

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
Why does this make my eyes tear up, and my heart feel all achy and warm?

That was beautiful, and the music, along with the explosion being violent yet solemn almost being silenced by the sacrifice of the Spartan. That was the single most beautiful live action event representing a game I have ever seen.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Here's what I don't get. In a minute and a half, this trailer managed to create more emotion and more characterization than most modern shoot 'em up movies. Compare this to, say, Transformers or Predators, and this short trailer somehow made me care more about faceless soldiers than full length movies got me to care about actors or old favorite characters from a cartoon I loved as a kid.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
Dyp100 said:
I enjoyed it, shame it's not in 720p, or even 1080, which you think this would be filmed in.

You can see in 720p on the Bungie.net site I think. I wonder if this has anything to do with the finale of Reach... I'm just ready to fall when Reach comes out.

lukemdizzle

Jul 7, 2008
Its cool as a commercial but even as a huge, and I mean huge halo fan I don't see where everybody is getting the big emotional response from. I think it was a little corny. the only character in Halo that I ever really felt for was the arbiter.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
Wow. Reach's Grifball arena looks freaking sweet!

Also a nod to John perhaps?
1 minute 17 seconds trailer.

Most favourite Halo: reach trailer yet.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Meh, it in fact was not a good commercial. Pretty lame actually; cheesy and unoriginal. I don't like Halo, but the commercials for ODST, however, were amazing. This one pales in comparison.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Hmmm, when the humming/singing starts, did anyone else think
"Eeeevery night in my dreams, I see you, I feeeeeeeel you!"

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I quite enjoyed it, and it really does play into one of the strongest aspects of the Halo series storyline.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
rockingnic said:
Dyp100 said:

You can see in 720p on the Bungie.net site I think. I wonder if this has anything to do with the finale of Reach... I'm just ready to fall when Reach comes out.
I wonder how Noble 6 is actually going to die, if it is actually like this, I'll be a little disappointed.

I know Bungie hasn't been keeping anything secret, but still, if this is a proper sneak spoiler, I'm gonna say I'll be a little annoyed.

Wolfinton

Jan 1, 2010
That reminds me of "The Day After Tomorrow" with the sacrifice being needed to destroy the alienship. And since the explosions seem to happen worldwide, it makes it even more like it.

Scott Mansley

Mar 29, 2010
That was a great trailer!

And also shows that no matter what happens on Reach, Spartans WILL die, And Reach WILL fall. We know the ending, But it's time to find out how it came to that.

Also. 90% sure a mission will involve in a race to the Pillar of Autumn. With all Spartans but master chief getting killed before they make it there. As Cortana once said, Master Chief had something the other Spartans didn't. Luck.