Liveblog: Microsoft's E3 Press Conference

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Where was my ME 2? Where was my AC 2?

Screw Natal, I just want my games!

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Okay, the conference is over: I am dissapointed.

I won't question that the whole Milo/Natal project might prove interesting in the future for interactive possibilities, but it doesn't seem to help gaming as of now.

I came in expecting atleast 1 kind of interesting, perhaps unnanounced game but only got some sparks of Alan Wake and a promising Kojima title that had exactly no footage whatsoever.

So much for the Revolution...the whole idea is even more casual than Nintendo's wildest dreams. They kept talking about 'bridging the gap between hardcore and casual' and showing us the 'best games' and they just didn't deliver.

If they deliver the Milo thing well I'm looking forward to the possibility of beating up small, british children on my friend's Xbox in the near future. Awesome!

Let's hope for some exciting news from Nintendo next!

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
This Project Natal looks like it could be terrific if used right. The painting seemed oddly therapeutic as well.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Ranooth said:
WAIT WTF!

LEFT 4 DEAD 2! Didnt they just say that these were all Xbox 360s exclusives? Valve wouldn't, would they?
It's coming to the PC too... I don't know why they said that it would be.

And did anyone else think that the horrible avatar body motion thing was absolutely hilarious? He tried to show you the bottom of the Avatar's shoe and the whole thing like contorted and spun around.

Sindre1

Nov 8, 2008
The boy was awesome!
Put other characters and a story into that and we may have the most original game ever.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Sparrow Tag said:
Where was my ME 2? Where was my AC 2?

Screw Natal, I just want my games!
Your not the only one. I was surprised and upset that they didn't show any Mass Effect 2 content.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
...Is anyone else completely creeped out by Milo? Like we've reached the bottom of the uncanny valley... or that it's Lionhead to look out for not SkyNet?

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks Project Natal is the first step to Skynet. I mean it is basically a virtual intellegence, it cannot think on it's own but it can still make decisions and soon there will be a Microsoft Artificial Intellegence. I am scared.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Loved how Peter Molyneux tried to convince everyone that game controllers where the spawn of satan. Yes they are a barrier but for gods sake man, they allowed us to play in the first place.

I think hes sold out to Microsoft AND WHERE THE FUCK WAS DUNGEON KEEPER 3!!!!!

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
The only way I see Natal to work is if they managed to make every single game (hardcore or casual) control well without a controller. I mean, there really is no point to wave your hand to navigate to Halo, then pick up your controller to play it.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I'm going to echo and agree that the motion controller is eyetoy-esque, but I would like to see how this will be implemented into other games before I pass judgement on it, not a fan yet but it could be good.

They said that Rare would be providing games for it, but to be honest if slave driving rare to create games for it counts as their dedication to the peripheral then it doesn't look good.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Jeez, all these people attacking Natal as some kind of "casual" thing. Think about it for a second - it won't replace controllers, it'll just be used for downloadable games will play Halo or whatever with a controller, you'll just use this tech for fun little party games etc; Its the A.I I was most impressed by - how can you possible say thats not innovative?

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Talk about terrible pacing, "Now that all the cool stuff is out of the way, here's the minor hardware improvement mumbo jumbo..."

Though the Last.fm thing sounds awesome.

Edit: Oh Lawd, they've opened the floodgates. Time to flee.
I'd not really call Natal minor hardware mumbo jumbo. Imagine:

You wake up Saturday morning and walk into your living room where your Xbox Elite sits, still on from the night before. A message pops up on screen.

"Good morning, Klutz. Would you like to continue your game of Gears of War 2? Your friend, Caolinn is online." It recognizes your face when you sit on the sofa and remembers what you played last, as well as the person you were playing with.

"No. I want to play Fable 2," you say aloud to the system, which will recognize your voice.

"Loading," pops up on the screen, because you've already loaded it onto the hard drive. Game starts and you begin swinging a sword.

When you're tired from playing Fable, you say, "End game. I want to watch Netflix." You've hooked your Netflix account up to your Xbox, so it navigates to the Netflix instant queue and starts playing your top movie. Anytime you need a snack break, just say "pause".

Now that is freakin awesome. I do not know if the system as planned can do all that but all the parts are there, so I won't be surprised. And for those who find the notion of jumping around tiring, you can still use a controller to play, but all the voice commands will still be there.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Andraste said:
"Good morning, Klutz. Would you like to continue your game of Gears of War 2? Your friend, Caolinn is online." It recognizes your face when you sit on the sofa and remembers what you played last, as well as the person you were playing with.

"No. I want to play Fable 2," you say aloud to the system, which will recognize your voice.

"Loading," pops up on the screen, because you've already loaded it onto the hard drive. Game starts and you begin swinging a sword.
It's all coming true.

It is clever tech that a lot of people are interested in but I'd still rather use an input device and read text than talk to a computer.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Andraste said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Talk about terrible pacing, "Now that all the cool stuff is out of the way, here's the minor hardware improvement mumbo jumbo..."

Though the Last.fm thing sounds awesome.

Edit: Oh Lawd, they've opened the floodgates. Time to flee.
I'd not really call Natal minor hardware mumbo jumbo. Imagine:

You wake up Saturday morning and walk into your living room where your Xbox Elite sits, still on from the night before. A message pops up on screen.

When you're tired from playing Fable, you say, "End game. I want to watch Netflix." You've hooked your Netflix account up to your Xbox, so it navigates to the Netflix instant queue and starts playing your top movie. Anytime you need a snack break, just say "pause".

Now that is freakin awesome. I do not know if the system as planned can do all that but all the parts are there, so I won't be surprised. And for those who find the notion of jumping around tiring, you can still use a controller to play, but all the voice commands will still be there.
Wow, you are really getting into this aren't you? I am generally creeped out from interaction with computer AI and will stay as far from this as possible.

From what they have shown it looked more like a video that you could interact with and I doubt that Milo acts like an actual human being. The fact that they said to be only showing it to insiders already shows that the technology is in no way at the point that they talked about. This is Molyneux after all, they certainly got the best man to make false promises for a preject like that.

The face recognition does sound cool, voice isn't so new.

I think he was talking about the Radio and facebook, video-streaming whatever while refering to the mumbo-jumbo.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
The thing about AI is that is can be shockingly amazing in a controlled demo but... Well, just read up on the mechanical Turk if you haven't heard of it.