Liveblog: Microsoft's E3 Press Conference

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
The thing about AI is that is can be shockingly amazing in a controlled demo but... Well, just read up on the mechanical Turk if you haven't heard of it.
Exactly my thoughts. We saw a pre-recorded demo of around 3 minutes on which they have worked a couple of months. All of the speculation at this point is ridiculous, I'm surprised that so few are cynical or atleast suspicious of this project.

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
Andraste said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Talk about terrible pacing, "Now that all the cool stuff is out of the way, here's the minor hardware improvement mumbo jumbo..."

Though the Last.fm thing sounds awesome.

Edit: Oh Lawd, they've opened the floodgates. Time to flee.
I'd not really call Natal minor hardware mumbo jumbo. Imagine:

You wake up Saturday morning and walk into your living room where your Xbox Elite sits, still on from the night before. A message pops up on screen.

"Good morning, Klutz. Would you like to continue your game of Gears of War 2? Your friend, Caolinn is online." It recognizes your face when you sit on the sofa and remembers what you played last, as well as the person you were playing with.

"No. I want to play Fable 2," you say aloud to the system, which will recognize your voice.

"Loading," pops up on the screen, because you've already loaded it onto the hard drive. Game starts and you begin swinging a sword.

When you're tired from playing Fable, you say, "End game. I want to watch Netflix." You've hooked your Netflix account up to your Xbox, so it navigates to the Netflix instant queue and starts playing your top movie. Anytime you need a snack break, just say "pause".

Now that is freakin awesome. I do not know if the system as planned can do all that but all the parts are there, so I won't be surprised. And for those who find the notion of jumping around tiring, you can still use a controller to play, but all the voice commands will still be there.
The only problem is that it won't understand anyone's accent unless it's one of the American ones...

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Yeah, I blew the Ringo Star thing, but such is liveblogging.
Did you just make a reference to Ned Kelly, the famous Australian outlaw?

As for E3, some very nice surprises indeed. Let me start with my joy at Halo: Reach, which I will play because I can't possibly lower myself to read the books. L4D2 is also an extremely pleasant surprise, and so is Metal Gear for the 360.

I'm not too enthused about Twitter on my 360 though.'

EDIT: Please tell me they are announcing HL2: Episode 3. Pleeeeeeassssse...