LoadingReadyRun: Every OS Sucks

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Was the slight lack of lip-sync at the end of the song intentional? If so, bravo! Awesome demonstration. :)

Tally LRR

Oct 21, 2009
AdmiralMemo said:
insanelich said:
AdmiralMemo said:
I missed Wes doing this on Desert Bus, so thanks for this! :)
Wes's Desert Bus version was better, still.
Did they record it? By the way, where ARE all the Desert Bus recordings they made?
With profuse apologies ahead of time, we absolutely do not promise that any of the stuff we recorded will make it to the internet. We'd love for it to, but last year we recorded EVERYTHING and very little of it was ever posted, simply because no one had the time to make it happen. In a perfect world, we'd have oodles of time for things like this. Alas, this is not a perfect world. (I'm not actually sure whether or not we did record Wes' performance in any case.)

Now for some good news: Qwerty0 from the LRR forums has put together a list of Desert Bus 4 recordings made and posted by various viewers. There are a number of excellent links to be found here: http://snurps.blogspot.com/p/desert-bus-4-video-captures.html

Patrick Dare

Jul 7, 2010
Double A said:
There is truth in music. Especially this song.

Are their programmers retarded or something?
Programming is pretty damn hard, especially something as complicated as an operating system.

I found this song hilarious but I disagree with what a lot of people are saying about how bad they are (with a noted exception for WinME which was just horrible), I think a lot of problems are PEBKAC, PICNIC or ID-10T. For all the years I used xp it almost never crashed, almost no BSOD, etc. Linux I never recall crashing as long as I've used it. Windows 7 so far has only given me BSOD a couple times from a bad driver (which I turned off driver checking to use so that's by no means the OS's fault). Mac OS I can't really comment on since the only interaction I've had with it since those macs that were just colored monitors with the circle mice is getting frustrated trying to use my brother's macbook pro because I don't know how to do anything in OS X. I don't run active protection virus software and still almost never get viruses. I think a lot of it is just that computers are complicated and people don't take the time to try to figure things out so they never learn and therefore don't understand when things go wrong, etc. When my family got our first PC I knew nothing about them nor did anyone in my family so I ended up spending hours reading articles and forum posts trying to resolve problems and figure things out and learned quite a lot from it. Most people I know who I help out with problems don't seem to want to learn, they just want someone to tell them what to do or fix it for them. I'm not saying people are stupid I'm just saying they don't put any effort in to understand their computer, how it works and how to keep it running smoothly.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Tally LRR said:
AdmiralMemo said:
insanelich said:
AdmiralMemo said:
I missed Wes doing this on Desert Bus, so thanks for this! :)
Wes's Desert Bus version was better, still.
Did they record it? By the way, where ARE all the Desert Bus recordings they made?
With profuse apologies ahead of time, we absolutely do not promise that any of the stuff we recorded will make it to the internet. We'd love for it to, but last year we recorded EVERYTHING and very little of it was ever posted, simply because no one had the time to make it happen. In a perfect world, we'd have oodles of time for things like this. Alas, this is not a perfect world. (I'm not actually sure whether or not we did record Wes' performance in any case.)

Now for some good news: Qwerty0 from the LRR forums has put together a list of Desert Bus 4 recordings made and posted by various viewers. There are a number of excellent links to be found here: http://snurps.blogspot.com/p/desert-bus-4-video-captures.html
Well, you're awesome about being up-front and honest about all this. And you're awesome for having a link to what is already available. We know you guys are busy keeping us entertained. Keep up the good work, and just let us know if the stuff ever makes it online. :)

Heck, if I had the money and ability to take that much time off of work, I'd fly up to you guys just to help out. :)

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
theriddlen said:
Linux... unluckily you are completely right, there isn't even a good music player like iTunes. There are no spreadsheets from Excel, there are no iMovie movies, and worst, there are no games. Thats why this system is used on almost all servers - core functions stable as hell, but nothing besides.
WHAT!? Completely WRONG!

1. Amarok (my fav), or Rhythmbox
2. OpenOffice.org, or IBM Lotus Symphony
3. Cinelerra, Kino
4. OpenGL games such as Glest, Jedi Academy, Quake III, all work fine. I've played many modern "Windows only" games on Linux. That is not including the "Linux" games.

If your going to judge Linux based on those, don't judge "Linux", judge Ubuntu.

Tenmar said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Linux - as the video said "for elitist nerds" XD if you know how to run it, you may have no life
The thing about linux is that it isn't really meant for consumers but purely business running servers that only do one thing.
So wrong... Linux was never meant for servers (aside from being based on a server OS). Linux was meant to be a free Unix OS for geeks to tinker with. Apple Mac OS X is the REAL Unix.

Google OS is Android based, which is "Linux" in disguise. So the Linux girl was bashing her alter ego.

Tenmar said:
[Personally I've had some use with linux and honestly I don't see myself as a consumer using that OS at all, but if I was running a business I would be using Windows with heavy linux support.
Why would you want to run Windows with Linux support, that doesn't make sense? You either run a Windows based business, or a Linux based business. You don't mix the two...

There is a reason why Microsoft does not sell its "*Nix" (Xenix Unix).

Finnra

Returning video tapes
Nov 24, 2010
As far as I can tell, this song was made quite a few years ago. It might be a good idea to let this fact seep into your mind. Both Windows and Linux has come a long way since. Ten years ago, Ubuntu didn't even exist. God knows it was hard to set up and run a machine running Linux, hardware just wasn't supported well enough and you had to fumble with the command line a lot. Today, I'm pretty sure my mother could install and use Ubuntu just as easily as she would install and use Windows XP (in fact she is using it). Windows 7 is also impressive and feels very good, responsive and intuitive. It also runs all my games... ;-)

It's a funny song and the whole girlfriend theme of it gives it another perspective.

It is also interesting to note that most people who have love for Home Computers also love Linux for the sheer ease of tinkering.

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Finnra said:
As far as I can tell, this song was made quite a few years ago. It might be a good idea to let this fact seep into your mind. Both Windows and Linux has come a long way since.
So has Mac OS, for that matter.

The point of the song still stands though, since they all still have problems.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Graham_LRR said:
Finnra said:
As far as I can tell, this song was made quite a few years ago. It might be a good idea to let this fact seep into your mind. Both Windows and Linux has come a long way since.
So has Mac OS, for that matter.

The point of the song still stands though, since they all still have problems.
And my phone does take a very long time to boot now.

Uggh, S60.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Cats and dogs, living together! Mass hysteria!

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=256
I couldn't find a better way to put this.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
You don't expect a car to be as easy and trouble-free as a toaster, so why do you expect this from a computer, which is even more complex? Many computer problems would be solved by requiring users to be licensed.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Monster_user said:
theriddlen said:
Linux... unluckily you are completely right, there isn't even a good music player like iTunes. There are no spreadsheets from Excel, there are no iMovie movies, and worst, there are no games. Thats why this system is used on almost all servers - core functions stable as hell, but nothing besides.
WHAT!? Completely WRONG!

1. Amarok (my fav), or Rhythmbox
2. OpenOffice.org, or IBM Lotus Symphony
3. Cinelerra, Kino
4. OpenGL games such as Glest, Jedi Academy, Quake III, all work fine. I've played many modern "Windows only" games on Linux. That is not including the "Linux" games.

If your going to judge Linux based on those, don't judge "Linux", judge Ubuntu.
I tried to work on 10.4 Ubuntu, and thats the system i'm talking about.
1. I tried out those two players - neither was even close to iTunes or Zune. Bad interface, not as intuitive and enjoyable as these. I even tried to use wine to run iTunes, but it did not work right. Also, somehow sound from MBP speakers sounder worse on linux than on osx (i recorded it and compared to check - linux's lines were flatter)
2. Same here, i tried out both - they're acceptable. Not as good as MS Office, better than iWork.
3. Every system has proper support for movies - Linux included.
4. Some old titles that i won't ever buy. And i emulated games work worse. I want my Crysis on high settings.

Also, to get this system fully working i had to ask on forums. OSX and Windows do not required me to do so.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Completely epic. I loved this song. My favorite bit was the part about Linux.

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
The sad thing is, even with his hat, people are still going to take this seriously.