LoadingReadyRun: Every OS Sucks

Qwerty0

Oct 31, 2009
Tally LRR said:
AdmiralMemo said:
insanelich said:
AdmiralMemo said:
I missed Wes doing this on Desert Bus, so thanks for this! :)
Wes's Desert Bus version was better, still.
Did they record it? By the way, where ARE all the Desert Bus recordings they made?
With profuse apologies ahead of time, we absolutely do not promise that any of the stuff we recorded will make it to the internet. We'd love for it to, but last year we recorded EVERYTHING and very little of it was ever posted, simply because no one had the time to make it happen. In a perfect world, we'd have oodles of time for things like this. Alas, this is not a perfect world. (I'm not actually sure whether or not we did record Wes' performance in any case.)

Now for some good news: Qwerty0 from the LRR forums has put together a list of Desert Bus 4 recordings made and posted by various viewers. There are a number of excellent links to be found here: http://snurps.blogspot.com/p/desert-bus-4-video-captures.html
Crazy idea: what if you burned a DVD with some video on it and mailed it to an active community member? Or are they not cut into individual clips yet? Even then I'm sure you could take a particularly eventful 4 hour block and let them chop it up and post.

I saw what Graham did with the viral video on Leno, having someone in the community record it and provide it to him. People were all over that one.

I know you guys are crazy busy shipping and wrapping it up in other was which is why I understand not being able to deal with this. And why I think you might as well let someone else help you with it.

(P.S. Thanks for recommending my links compendium! Glad you liked them.)

Waelder

Apr 25, 2010
every os sucks.
the proof is that mine crashed 2 minutes after watching this video ._.

Snowsongwolf

Dec 8, 2010
I'm probably 1 of the 5 Americans to have known this song by heart from when it originally came out. <3 Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie.

aussiebear

Dec 7, 2010
theriddlen said:
Also, to get this system fully working i had to ask on forums. OSX and Windows do not required me to do so.
And learning something new is bad, how?

Linux requires you to learn and understand the system you're using. If you prefer not to use that organ behind your eyes, and rather pay someone else to handle the technical details (Microsoft, Apple, etc); then you should go with other OSs that better meets your needs.

Linux's initial learning curve is high because its different. Users can't just dive right in without thinking. But its rewarding in the long term...I don't spend a dime on software any more. Nor do I pirate software. I know how to lock down a system. Set up an entire computing infrastructure for a business. Kiosks for a local library. Modify it to meet my needs. Build servers and firewalls to protect a network for a non-profit organization who can't afford an expensive commercial class firewall/gateway, etc...Essentially use it in ways that helps others. My system up-times are counted in the months to years category. (And it doesn't hurt that I can make a little money on the side as well!)

OSX/Windows's learning curve is low, but you pay for it in other ways.

For example:

* Windows is limited by the licensing conditions dictated by Microsoft. Educational use is different to MSDN use. Which itself is different to TechNet use...Which is different to OEM and Retail uses. And there are more conditions if you want to use the supercomputing variant, etc.

* OSX is similar in that you're not supposed to run it on a system that wasn't made by Apple.

* The only condition (oversimplified) for Linux is that if you plan to modify the code, you must share what you've changed. There's no "Genuine Advantage" to enforce how many copies I can use or licensing conditions based on the user's purpose. I don't have to worry about making sure my copy of the OS installed on my system is legit or pirated. I can install it as many as I want, where ever I want.

* Windows and OSX...Their respective companies are responsible for how the system turns out. Linux? The user is responsible. Whether you want this control of responsibility is up to you. But you have to accept that if Microsoft or Apple implements a change you don't like; you're stuck with it. Like it or lump it.

* Windows/OSX users don't learn about preventing infections or system compromise. As a result, they are susceptible to FUD from AV companies (which sell them ineffective cures) and social engineering from malware writers...In Linux, people understand and learn what causes a security issue. They then can apply proper fixes to the affected application or apply prevention methods until a fix arrives. (User knowledge and experience is key to security in computing...And the majority of the world's computing users don't score high in that category.)

* Microsoft and Apple can choose not to fix a security issue for whatever reason. The clearest examples I know was with Windows 2000 (before support period expired) and XP (still supported until 2014). MS's own security bulletins openly admit that they won't or can't fix a problem because it will require a major re-write to the affected component. Effectively, you're on your own. They suggest to use a firewall to block the affected ports of infection. Wow! Way to look after your paying customers there Microsoft!

Like life, operating systems aren't a free lunch. There are some pretty glaring Pros/Cons to each. Many of them aren't even noticed by people.

Megido

Aug 24, 2008
Great stuff, folks. For a minute I thought you were only going to bag on Mac, but then I was pleasantly surprised.

Also, Kathleen's just about the purdiest incarnation of the Macintosh OS I've e'er seen. I think I have a creepy, schoolboyish crush on her, and her cool hairdo.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Folio said:
Those references are great! Comparing operation systems with dates. A bit like the Mac & PC commercials.

What if you did the same with gaming consoles?
you would have 3 supermodel triplets: a blond, a brunette, and a ginger each talking smack about the other one,
they are all pretty but have their own issues and are high maitenence
the blond (wii) is made fun of because she is not as smart as the other two
the brunette (360) shopaholic for ways to accessorize herself
the ginger (ps3) self-conscious (like 360) and you have to constantly coddle and flatter
in the end the guy back to his best friend and classmate pc/ds/iphone, who isnt super-attractive but is great to have around for work or fun.
they then are working together on a major assignment and she crashes

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
is there some irony in the fact that i cant watch it because of "stream not found"?

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
wammnebu said:
Folio said:
Those references are great! Comparing operation systems with dates. A bit like the Mac & PC commercials.

What if you did the same with gaming consoles?
you would have 3 supermodel triplets: a blond, a brunette, and a ginger each talking smack about the other one,
they are all pretty but have their own issues and are high maitenence
the blond (wii) is made fun of because she is not as smart as the other two
the brunette (360) shopaholic for ways to accessorize herself
the ginger (ps3) self-conscious (like 360) and you have to constantly coddle and flatter
in the end the guy back to his best friend and classmate pc/ds/iphone, who isnt super-attractive but is great to have around for work or fun.
they then are working together on a major assignment and she crashes
Well, I'll be having fun with my blond girlfriend. We may not talk a lot about stuff but I do like to shop with her and make little figurines. I'm also wild about her gimmicks. ^_^ Something those other two are still learning about.

But this relationship isn't very open so I'm looking for a ginger with a lot of capacaty to play Borderlands with my friends... wow, this is getting really perverted. o_O

I'm not interested in a brunette in this case. I can't be comfortable with her and I'm afraid that one day she'll just stare at me, doing nothing like she just died.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie, w00t! Now do the same for these songs:

Keep Your Parents off the Internet

Mom's Coming to my House

British Saskatchalbertatoba

Nunavit

The War of 1812

Then go find the Arrogant Worms so you can do the Last Saskatchewan Pirate and Rocks and Trees.

Chop Chop!

Serafis

Mar 24, 2010
Folio said:
I'm not interested in a brunette in this case. I can't be comfortable with her and I'm afraid that one day she'll just stare at me, doing nothing like she just died.
Her blood-shot eyes, yeah?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
That brief half second 37 seconds into the video was the delicious icing on an otherwise awesome cake.

Cutlesnap

Jun 1, 2008
Megido said:
Also, Kathleen's just about the purdiest incarnation of the Macintosh OS I've e'er seen. I think I have a creepy, schoolboyish crush on her, and her cool hairdo.
You are not alone my friend. Also, my crush on Tally is growing.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
To be fair OS X (Apple's os) is just a reskin of free bsd, which is kissing cousins with Linux...
That said Linux is only really useful as a server..

Megido

Aug 24, 2008
Cutlesnap said:
Megido said:
You are not alone my friend. Also, my crush on Tally is growing.
Tally's great, and all, but Kathleen's the only OS for me. [/creeper mode]