Loathed phrases/terms

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
UK-ers think Americans killed the English language while some of their own ilk are walking around talking like this??
Nobody talks like that character...

Strangely though, the Geordie dialect could be considered to be the most authentic variation of English, ie. the closest to the language used by the Angles.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Nobody talks like that character...

Strangely though, the Geordie dialect could be considered to be the most authentic variation of English, ie. the closest to the language used by the Angles.
I'd think there has to be some basis in reality for the joke to land, but as I've never been there (let alone well enough versed in the varieties of dialects on offer,) I'll defer to your expertise.

Breakdown

Oxy Moron
Sep 5, 2014
down a well
Country
Northumbria
I'd think there has to be some basis in reality for the joke to land, but as I've never been there (let alone well enough versed in the varieties of dialects on offer,) I'll defer to your expertise.
If you want a pop culture reference, Davos in Game of Thrones had a pretty good Geordie accent. I'm not sure why though, since Liam Cunningham is Irish, and the character is supposed to be from King's Landing. The distribution of accents in Game of Thrones is fascinating.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Geordies are from the Newcastle area. Google Jimmy Nail. Sting is the most famous Geordie I can think of, though he doesn't sound like one AFAIK. And no, he (my grandad, not Sting) was a bricklayer.
I visited Newcastle when I visited the UK a few years back. No offense, but I swear the accents were some of the most difficult to understand for someone who allegedly speaks the same language I do(and yes, I'm aware American and British English are quite different).

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I visited Newcastle when I visited the UK a few years back. No offense, but I swear the accents were some of the most difficult to understand for someone who allegedly speaks the same language I do(and yes, I'm aware American and British English are quite different).
My dad is from Panama, and apparently has a thick Spanish accent, but given I learned to speak listening to him and my mom for 40 years, I can't hear it. Also grew up with two friends from Jamaica who moved to the States when they were very young (8-10 years old.) They got Americanized pretty quickly and lost all trace of their accents, but when their family visited, they slipped back into their native accents, and I could barely understand them. It would seem you need to be removed from the thick of a thing to appreciate its objective qualities. Native British people can probably hear the differences in English dialects, but not fully appreciate just how different they are given many are something they encounter every day. Or I'm wrong.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
You aren't wrong. When I first moved here it took years until I could follow a conversation properly. I was walking behind some kids down the road once and they honestly could have been speaking another language. But a lot of it is familiarity; I can understand pretty much anyone now (though there's always some clown who thinks it's funny to make the dialect deliberately unintelligible when they realise I'm from the south, but if need be I can do a passable Danny Dyer impression, so then we're both being dicks).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
"Thank You For Your Service"

This one really irks me, as it's in the similar vein of thoughts and prayers, as it's said almost reflexively with little meaning behind it. And, having spoken a lot of veterans, they often don't like the phrase, as it makes them feel awkward as hell.
As a Navy vet, I totally agree. It was always super awkward for me when people did that(since I was an engineer type and handled a tool box FAR more often then I handled a weapon) and I found the best way to deal with it was say "Thank you for your support" and quickly move on to the rest of the conversation.

Reactions: happyninja42

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
It was always super awkward for me when people did that(since I was an engineer type and handled a tool box FAR more often then I handled a weapon) and I found the best way to deal with it was say "Thank you for your support" and quickly move on to the rest of the conversation.
Next time, try finger-guns, but leave it open what you mean by that.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
'non-negotiable'

This policy we created by office committee is not open to common-sense interpretation or adaptation to conditions of the real world you may come across in the field. Or you're fired.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Think of the children or just people implying it. If they really cared about kids, then their generation should have done everything to make sure future generations would prosper.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"Facts don't care about your feelings". Not because it's untrue, it's just that I personally see it most often when someone believes their feelings are facts and someone else's facts are just their feelings.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
"I Think X Thing, Change My Mind!"

Fuck you, that's not how it works. You have made a declaration, now YOU prove it. That's how this goes. It's not my job to disprove your idiotic, often intentionally trolly statement, while you just sit back and act smug as if you have the moral highground or something. Make YOUR case, I don't unmake your case, you arrogant fuck.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
"I Think X Thing, Change My Mind!"

Fuck you, that's not how it works. You have made a declaration, now YOU prove it. That's how this goes. It's not my job to disprove your idiotic, often intentionally trolly statement, while you just sit back and act smug as if you have the moral highground or something. Make YOUR case, I don't unmake your case, you arrogant fuck.
You’re never going to win a debate when someone has pretended they already have won

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
"I'm Just Saying/I'm merely pointing out/I'm just presenting facts"

There's nothing ostensibly wrong with just presenting facts. There are times I do that.

When it gets on my nerves is when people just use it as a shield to deflect when someone debunks their 'facts' or when they want to stir the pot but not get burned by the heat.

And also "Debunk"

Debunk doesn't mean find someone or a group of people who disagree with actual proven facts. Debunk means evidence that proves to the contrary where our understanding is fundamentally changed.

These things were debunked.

A good deal of things on Parler that "debunk" subjects... I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Lastly? "Destroyed"

"So and So DESTROYED these Right-wing idiots" "Watch how This One Dude DESTROYS SJW cucks!"

Literally almost every mention of some interaction between different thoughts and ideals are always set up as these battles... It was once a time where people could have different ideas and just talk them, not try to break down everything someone believes. It creates this need to be a champion that destroys the others. I might not agree with current Republican ideals, but I don't want Republicans to be DESTROYED. I get some of their mind sets. I understand wanting to have more autonomy over their lives, more of their own money in their pocket, and a whole host of other ideals.

I feel like more compromises need to be had between us, and not seeking epic struggles of mutual destruction over stupid and trivial things.