Lose/Lose - The Game That Deletes Your Files

kend1

Mar 19, 2009
Reminds me an old Sierra game. When you uninstalled the game, it deleted all files in the directory where it was installed. So, if you installed at the top level of C drive...

http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/lookup+1/4670E6FD91CB3839CA256F39001F4FCF

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
It's the only reason it took me years and years to finish A link to the past and Super Metroid

Evil Tim

Apr 18, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Although touching aliens will cause the player to lose the game, and killing aliens awards points, the aliens will never actually fire at the player.
And yet some of them clearly home in horizontally as they move, meaning they are actively trying to destroy the player's avatar. It's hair-splitting to say they never fire when some of the aliens are effectively homing missiles; hardly something it's unjustified to defend yourself against.

CantFaketheFunk said:
Why do we assume that because we are given a weapon an awarded for using it, that doing so is right?
Because it's the only thing to do in the game. Christ, these arty types don't half have problems figuring out the obvious. If there's nothing else you can possibly do but use the weapon, then it is ridiculous to expect the player to question the idea of using it, and intellectually dishonest to try to force them to accept ownership of the actions your game mechanics compel them to. Punishing the player for actions that are explicitly your own making will inevitably result in their rejecting ownership of those actions, meaning they'll just blame the game's creator for making them do it.

Same goes for games like Haze that force the player down a linear path of stupid decisions and then act like it's the player's fault for taking the only route open to them. If there's only one way to get any meaningful acknowledgement of your presence in the game, that's what the player will do. You might as well ask why people don't care about the Black and White armies' human rights records when playing a game of chess, or why nobody thinks of how that big red hotel they put on Mayfair affects the character of the area.

CantFaketheFunk said:
If the player kills the alien, the file it is based on is deleted. If the players ship is destroyed, the application itself is deleted.
Doesn't 'random file' imply that the application could be deleted every time you kill an alien anyway?

VickyBit said:
I think you guys are missing the point. :V Where did it say that you HAD to shoot the aliens? And that they were ENEMIES?
If my only way to interact with the aliens is shooting them and their only way to interact with me is by destroying me, what else is there to do? I can move around them, but there's a control bound to shooting at them, and it's easier to achieve the objective [moving towards the top of the screen without being destroyed] by using the shoot key; moreover, by doing so you recieve a score, thus acknowledging that you're doing something the game wants you to do. If there was a keybind for turning back or negotiating you might have a point here, but the rules of the game and it's feedback mechanisms are what makes shooting the aliens a good idea, not some inherent bloodthirstiness in the player. The fact that they added a second feedback mechanism that contradicts the first just makes it a very stupid game.

Also, seriously, is your constant use of that smiley some attempt to advise the internet that you're choking to death on a traffic cone?

VickyBit said:
Who's to say that the PLAYER isn't the one invading the ALIENS? How can you even call shooting aliens that aren't even shooting back for 'fighting back the alien INVASION?'
The player's ship is coming from a direction that the aliens are trying to go in; they are frequently moving past the player's ship quickly, and in erratic patterns as if they're trying to avoid interception. This is hardly indicative of a defence line, more an attempt to bypass a defender or interceptor to get to something behind it; hence, the idea it is an assault on the player character's civilisation [or at very least on something they are tasked with defending] is easier to justify than the reverse.

Not that it matters, because the game exists in a vacuum; you can't fault the player just because you can make up an arbitrary situation where the aliens might be right to attack the player if that scenario isn't actually presented in the game itself. All we know is that the aliens outnumber the player, will kill the player's avatar and end the game if they touch it, and do not care to avoid touching it.

And using allcaps for emphasis makes it look like you're trying to speak in Morse Code, by the by.

VickyBit said:
That doesn't sound like success to me, more like senseless killing of defenceless creatures. (unless you ram into them, which your ship can't handle)
There are huge groups of them and they make no effort to avoid you even though their touch is lethal to you. At very least the player's ship is acting in self-defence by shooting them before they collide with it. They are also hardly defenceless when they kill you instantly by physical contact, and since they don't kill each other by physical contact, they are presumably making a conscious choice to destroy you.

Oh. That observation totally breaks the game, doesn't it? Nevermind that it's already broken, since it's pretexted on the idea that attaching value to data is bad; 'virtual data' is just as real a posession as anything you can hold in your hands, it's just stored on a medium that means you can't see what it represents without the computer acting as an intermediary between you and it. You might as well say music isn't real because someone needs to play it before you can hear it, so obviously you shouldn't give a damn about people burning your sheet music.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I just played it and ended up deleting 1 song and 12 empty folders.
But it didn't delete delete them, it just moved them to my trash and I used "put it back" to put them all back to where they belonged. So no harm to me.

Shintsu2

Apr 30, 2009
This sounds like a great prank idea.

You: "Hey, check out this great game!"
Clueless target: "What is it?"
You: "This cool game called Lose/Lose!"
Clueless target: "What do you do?"
You: "You shoot aliens, it's totally awesome you gotta play it"
Clueless target: "Why is it called Lose/Lose?"
You: "I dunno, you can't lose either way that's why - it's fun!"

And away they go...deleting their files one by one...hah, bye bye autobiography!

A game where you fail by winning (since your hard drive is now gone). Hilariously good.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Yeah, no. I'm definitely not playing that. I'm all for games being an art form, but not if it seriously messes up my hard drive.

Nice idea, though.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Why on Earth would anyone want to play this game? It's even called lose/lose! For a good reason, I might add.

This seems like something I would play just for fun and then end up deleting an important file from Left 4 Dead and all the character models will disappear or something...

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Xvito said:
Wow...

I wonder who'd be stupid enough to do that...?

"Randomly delete a file"... Seriously?
true. it could take away something like your firewall or antivirus if your unlucky.

VickyBit

Sep 23, 2009
I was gonna reply to a bunch of posts but got too lasy to quote 'em all, so I'll just say that my impression of Lose/Lose is that I don't think it should be looked on as your everyday typical GAME, (with it deleting your files, it kinda obviously wasn't meant to be played seriously like a normal game like dat V: )
I think it's more of a message the creator is trying to come out with, using a different medium than people may be used to. Of course, the best option would be to ask him and find out that way, this is just my view on it :V
And hey, it's not the first time people have gotten pissed at artists for their messages or the way they represent those messages, so it does have the art-ness in that sense U:

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Christemo said:
Xvito said:
Wow...

I wonder who'd be stupid enough to do that...?

"Randomly delete a file"... Seriously?
true. it could take away something like your firewall or antivirus if your unlucky.
And what if you paid money for your antivirus software and this game removes it? I can just sense that this is a minor lawsuit waiting to happen.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
megapenguinx said:
But it didn't delete delete them, it just moved them to my trash and I used "put it back" to put them all back to where they belonged. So no harm to me.
So how did you run the thing? What do you have to do to run it?

Ranzel

Oct 7, 2007
I just want to say: I'm appalled at how many people are taking this game so seriously, calling the creators "dicks", calling it the worst game ever made, saying it would be a great trick.

First of all, watch the video. Theres a disclaimer before you start that its going to delete your files.

Second, did any of you actually read what the creators had to say? In short, this is in no way a "game" by most posters standards, this game is a vessel for the discussion he brought up. Everyday we shoot and kill in video games with no consequences, while in the real life shooting, let alone actually killing, are terrible crimes. The creators are just trying to make a point of this in making the game, making it punish you in the same way you'd be punished in real life, by taking something.

Have we become so attached to our computers that we can equate losing a file to someone losing their life? It seems to me, with the outrage many posters implying, that indeed we have.

One last thing, they create a game, warn you multiple times its going to delete your files, basically shove the fact that its for discussion down your throat and yet you call them dicks? Really? Next time you create something I'll go ahead and call you a dick. Sure, I'm not going to look at or even think about why you created it, but im going to call you a dick anyway because I can.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
BonsaiK said:
megapenguinx said:
So how did you run the thing? What do you have to do to run it?
I just clicked on the icon that came in the .zip folder and it started running.
I ran it in my Mac partition though so that might make things different.

Synek

Mar 31, 2009
Would be interesting in multiplayer, if you kill someone the killed loses a random file.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Oh, so it's a MAC game. Riiiight, now I understand. Wish someone had mentioned that earlier. Guess I have to delete my files the old-school way then.