LucasArts Promises to Stop Disappointing Fans

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
LucasArts Promises to Stop Disappointing Fans

In the future, LucasArts hopes to develop titles that'll impress rather than disappoint.

LucasArts currently has a reputation squarely in the middle. Sometimes it develops a great product, and sometimes things go somewhat awry as with the internally developed Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Force-Unleashed-Playstation-3/dp/B0030F1DOO]. LucasArts president Paul Meegan admits that the company hasn't always succeeded, but promises that it'll try to do better in the future.

"LucasArts is a company with tremendous potential," Meegan told MCV. "I think people look at it and wonder why it hasn't done better in recent years."

Meegan says he believes that the properties of Lucasfilm are "some of the most beloved and powerful brands in entertainment," and that the company is "surrounded by staggeringly bright and creative people at the top of their games." He almost seems somewhat confused with the idea that LucasArts hasn't always lived up to expectations.

"In recent years, LucasArts hasn't always done a good job of making games," he added. "We should be making games that define our medium, that are competitive with the best of our industry, but we're not. That has to change."

Meegan's plan for change will start with "authentic, immersive, high quality Star Wars games." In late April 2011, LucasArts signed a long-term licensing deal to use Unreal Engine 3 for multiple projects, which is definitely part of Meegan's initiative. Meegan didn't say what kind of genres it would put these upcoming games in, but one of them better be an X-Wing or Tie Fighter [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-X-Wing-Collector-Pc/dp/B00002SV6D/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1307034644&sr=8-15] flight-sim reboot. Seriously, how long have we been waiting for one of those?

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44581/LucasArts-eyes-return-to-form]

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
HankMan said:
So Battlefront 3 is a go?
And the TV show is being axed?

EDIT: Shit... Forgot that LucasArts and LucasFilm are two separate entities.

Why couldn't Lucas himself have said this?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
HankMan said:
So Battlefront 3 is a go?
Ninja'd before I even had a chance to post. Yes Lucasarts, if you want my money again get working on BF3 NOW!!!

Feb 13, 2008
See, you used to provide some of the greatest games ever.

Then you dumped all your good people to milk the Star Wars cow.

Now you've ran out of milk, you want to come back after making SWTFU?

Sorry guys, these are not the fans you're looking for. Move along.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I still don't get it.

I enjoyed the prequels much more than the originals, I really liked the force unleashed. I also really liked the 4th indania Jones film (though I have a thing for mesoamercian stuff, and I find the ancient astronaut theory actually rather convincing, despite what the film made it out to be; a la "ALIENS BUILT THE PYRAMIDS" etc.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
All my respect for LucasArts died when the let Free Radical go down the drain.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Until they do more than pump out stuff that says Star Wars on it, I'm going to have a hard time believing it. Sure, it might be really good stuff that says Star Wars on it, but it'll still look like they do nothing but milk every last drop they can from the franchise.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I'll believe them when Battlefront 3 comes out. Until then nothing they "promise" is worth anything

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
They developed a time machine in order to annihilate the monstrosities that are the Prequels from the pages of history?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
If they want to stop dissapointing me, stop churning out Star Wars licenses and go back to making point and click adventure games.

I'd then be pleased. However, I realise pleasing one customer at a time is not a viable business model. Well, maybe in some jobs. But not game development.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
I have a suggestion for Lucasarts: Stop treating the Star Wars franchise as a license to print money. The fanbase is way too jaded with you pumping out half-assed games with bad controls, limited replay value that take all of 4 hours to beat.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
TheEverix said:
Shouldn't they have ALREADY been trying to do that?
Silly person, you don't know how big business works.

OT: I've never once had to wonder why they've done badly, their products are consistantly shit.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Given the option for fanservice vs more money which one do you think lucas arts will go for I mean god it is almost impossible to enjoy starwars given how glaringly they try and sell out in the universe. It never was, is this a good character? no? but if we made it a kids toy to make money... okay lets do that go ewoks and jarjar.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
See, you used to provide some of the greatest games ever.

Then you dumped all your good people to milk the Star Wars cow.

Now you've ran out of milk, you want to come back after making SWTFU?

Sorry guys, these are not the fans you're looking for. Move along.
Could not have put it better myself. And the fact that George Lucas himself isn't saying this isn't gaining them any points either. Too little. Too late.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
LucasArts should go back to doing what they do best; adventure games. Outsource the Star Wars/Indiana Jones crap to a studio that does well in that area and go back to making games in the vein of Monkey Island, Manic Mansion, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max. Seriously, those games are timeless, they should do what they're good at instead of releasing remakes of the adventure games and lifeless sequels with lots of lightsabers.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
So no more Star Wars-crap? I doubt it.
I'll probably look upon their next game, saying what I've always said; I am dissapoint.