LucasArts Unveils Star Wars 1313

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
ravenshrike said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Just what I want from Star Wars. Gritty realism.

DVS BSTrD said:
Let's it's more accurate than storm troopers.
I think it wins THAT one by default.
Not necessarily. Republic Commando and KOTOR 2 took a darker spin on Star Wars while still remaining true to the feel of the universe.

And hell, there's always been grit in Star Wars. The criminal scene was always a big part of the franchise, what with bounty hunters, Jabba's Cartel, and smugglers. Crime syndicates isn't that much of a stretch.
Almost the entirety of KOTOR 2 was retconned because Lucas didn't like the thought of the force being more complex than a children's parable.
No, it wasn't Lucas who retconned it, it was Drew Karpyshin proving that he cannot use other people's creations without destroying them. The Revan novel fucking sucks, and I'd declare it non canon when put beside The Sith Lords.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
V da Mighty Taco said:
Sixties Spidey said:
Anyone wanna bet that based on the success of this, it will determine whether or not a Battlefront III will emerge?
As much as I hate to say it - Battlefront 3's dead for good. LucasArts abandoned that ship a looong time ago, with no intent of ever returning.
Along with the development studio being completely disbanded. That crew absolutely hated working on BFII and it was sabotaged from the beginning.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
TimeLord said:
Dastardly said:
Okay, LucasArts. I've got my eye on you, though. And I swear to God, if so much as one lightsaber or canon character shows up, I will forget your name and burn every trace that we ever knew each other.
This is LucasArts... You will fight against a Jedi or have them as a companion or a main character or be serving Darth Vader or something!
And that's why I hate them. They have this huge universe full of all kinds of people and places and things, and a timeline that allegedly spans thousands of years... but we always have to run into the same handful of people. It makes the "huge universe" look like a background painted on the wall of a tiny room.

Even The Old Republic, though set super-far before A New Hope, has a Han-like smuggler complete with Wookiee companion.

I look at a game like this, and I want to believe in it, but I can't shake the feeling that:

1. There will be Mandalorian armor all over the place, probably on you.
2. The crime boss will be a Hutt.
3. There will be a Zabrak (Darth Maul) henchman.
4. Someone, somewhere has a pet Rancor.
5. If you get a ship, it'll either look like Fett's or Solo's.
6. You'll see at least one Twi'lek female dancer.
7. There will be an assassin droid that at least reminds us of HK-47.
8. You're going to hear colloquialisms that reference Banthas, Gundarks, and Rancors as though every person or every species on every planet in the whole galaxy only knows the same seven animals and uses the same slang.
9. You'll also hear "Sithspit" at least twice. Same reason.
10. Lightsabers. Lightsabers everywhere. Expect double-bladed, too.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
...wait, so who exactly is developing it? LucasArts in-house? Like, the guys who did The Force Unleashed?

I'll keep my eye open for it, but hopefully it'll turn out better than TFU did.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
I wish it wasn't 3rd person... :{
But other than that, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
ravenshrike said:
Soviet Heavy said:
ravenshrike said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Just what I want from Star Wars. Gritty realism.

DVS BSTrD said:
Let's it's more accurate than storm troopers.
I think it wins THAT one by default.
Not necessarily. Republic Commando and KOTOR 2 took a darker spin on Star Wars while still remaining true to the feel of the universe.

And hell, there's always been grit in Star Wars. The criminal scene was always a big part of the franchise, what with bounty hunters, Jabba's Cartel, and smugglers. Crime syndicates isn't that much of a stretch.
Almost the entirety of KOTOR 2 was retconned because Lucas didn't like the thought of the force being more complex than a children's parable.
No, it wasn't Lucas who retconned it, it was Drew Karpyshin proving that he cannot use other people's creations without destroying them. The Revan novel fucking sucks, and I'd declare it non canon when put beside The Sith Lords.
No, it was Lucas who retconned it. The reason KOTOR III was never made was specifically because Lucas did not want the Kreia storyline going anywhere. While plot specifics were certainly in DK's hands, Kreia being retconned and the inherent neutering of the Exile and her purpose were mandated from Lucas before the storyline was written.
Where the hell are you getting this information? The game was canceled because of Lucasarts' financial crash in 07-08, which also killed Battlefront 3 and Rogue Squadron 4. Where exactly is this direct quote from GL that he wanted to kill Obsidian's ideas?

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
gritty and mature spin
and my small hope that this could be at least mediocre came crashing down at this sentence.

I tend to not trust game advertising which uses these words that's all.

Stormtyrant

Nov 5, 2011
Dastardly said:
I look at a game like this, and I want to believe in it, but I can't shake the feeling that:
(snip)
6. You'll see at least one Twi'lek female dancer.
Tbh I think that this is the most likely point on the list to show up, and probably the most minor.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
WMDogma said:
Taking a more gritty and mature spin on the franchise

[...]

Unnamed bounty hunter

[...]

Mysterious criminal organization

[...]

Players will have to rely on their wits, gadgets and variety of weapons
There goes any single ounce of interest I might have had. Did they just decide to use every cliche they could think or something?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Oddly, I still prefer my messed up fever-dream idea of a remake of The Munsters except starring Darth Vader as the monstrous but endearing everyman with an undead wife.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Dastardly said:
1. There will be Mandalorian armor all over the place, probably on you.
2. The crime boss will be a Hutt.
5. If you get a ship, it'll either look like Fett's or Solo's.
Mandalorains have been around for a very long, long time--thousands of years before Knights of the Old Republic. So take a sample of any period in Star Wars time and you're almost certain to have Mandalorians in it and therefore, their amrour.

Hutts are a species that defines the meaning of life as the pursuit of greed itself. The bigger, fatter and wealthier a Hutt, the better in their eyes. Since the species appeared they have joined and run criminal groups. I see no more a reason to take issue with a Hutt crimelord than a human president.

You never get the ship Fett or Solo use in the movies. In any game (that doesn't star them). You might use similar makes and models, but hey, that's kind of how manufactures work. You don't think every Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore is the same, do you? Fett and Solo used the ships they used because they were good ships and did exactly what they needed. Not really a revelation that similar people in similar roles would also find them good.

I understand your disdain for the cliche and I agree with you on all of it; every single time I see a Star Wars product I instantly know every character you'll see, every place you'll go and what will happen. But some things just have to be expected. Star Wars is a powerful brand that generates a lot of money, so they have to keep it recognizably "Star Wars." The extended fiction is fine for comics and novels. But when investing a lot of money in something like a game or movie, you need brand recognition and people come to see what they know Star Wars to be.

So yeah, it sucks, but it's understandable in some instances.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The tie for first place star wars universe games goes to Dark Forces (and Jedi Knight) and Tie Fighter. All the other games pale in comparison to those gems.

I wish lucas arts would get off their butts and make a proper sequel to Outlaws, but only as long as they keep the same music as the original. Check out the intro here and see if it doesn't just suck you in. Worth watching till the end for the music.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Like most long running franchises I enjoy, high hopes, low expectations. My expectations may change, but there have been many things the star wars franchise has done which I just didn't want.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Sixties Spidey said:
Anyone wanna bet that based on the success of this, it will determine whether or not a Battlefront III will emerge?
EVERYONE BUY IT! NOW! I WANT BATTLEFRONT!

*ahem*

I shall await further news.

Captcha: Comeback. I sure as hell hope so.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Please, oh please, make this about the Star Wars world, expand that huge universe, and not about fucking LIGHTSABERS EVERYWHERE.

This really could be something special... I really hope they deliver.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Mandalorains have been around for a very long, long time--thousands of years before Knights of the Old Republic. So take a sample of any period in Star Wars time and you're almost certain to have Mandalorians in it and therefore, their amrour.
And ancient Rome's army had massive numbers, but I'm not tripping over their armor everywhere I go. For a supposedly ancient and mysterious group like the Mandalorians, not only is their armor very common, it's also very mainstream.

See, while there's no reason for Mandalorian armor to be completely gone, one has to suppose there are (in a GALAXY) at least a few hundred other cultures that also had some halfway decent armor.

It boils down to "Boba Fett sold actions figures."

Hutts are a species that defines the meaning of life as the pursuit of greed itself. The bigger, fatter and wealthier a Hutt, the better in their eyes. Since the species appeared they have joined and run criminal groups. I see no more a reason to take issue with a Hutt crimelord than a human president.
Again, in something as big as a GALAXY, there wouldn't be such a high percentage of Hutt crime lords. Unless, of course, it's just that Hutts make for easily marketable bad guys, and they're a cheap and easy way to make sure a given story has enough "Star Wars flavor."

You never get the ship Fett or Solo use in the movies. In any game (that doesn't star them). You might use similar makes and models, but hey, that's kind of how manufactures work. You don't think every Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore is the same, do you? Fett and Solo used the ships they used because they were good ships and did exactly what they needed. Not really a revelation that similar people in similar roles would also find them good.
And again, in a GALAXY, and time spanning THOUSANDS of years, one might expect there to be at least a handful of design changes. Or, perhaps, for the Corellian Engineering Corporation to have had at least a slump, in which they weren't the galaxy's leading supplier of a particular type of starship.

I understand your disdain for the cliche and I agree with you on all of it; every single time I see a Star Wars product I instantly know every character you'll see, every place you'll go and what will happen. But some things just have to be expected. Star Wars is a powerful brand that generates a lot of money, so they have to keep it recognizably "Star Wars." The extended fiction is fine for comics and novels. But when investing a lot of money in something like a game or movie, you need brand recognition and people come to see what they know Star Wars to be.

So yeah, it sucks, but it's understandable in some instances.
And this is where I sit on the matter. There is no acceptable canon explanation for just how common all of this crap is. It's brand recognition. Each product must contain X% of the necessary iconography.

The problem is that, while making sure everyone knows "just how Star Wars" a product is, it serves the additional purpose of shrinking the universe down to about four city blocks.

Of course, we ought not to expect global thinking from creators who think it's acceptable for each planet to have only one biome...