Magic Gun Sprays Skin Cells to Heal Burns Almost Instantly

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
hmm are they duplicating the skin? if so it could be used for robotic limbs making it only a cyberskeleton making them not stand out so much yust think about it.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
This is great but its goona be sad when some person comes out and say [insert extremely stupid reason why this is bad] and start getting people to hate it...oh come on we all see this coming when they came out with stem cell reaserch something that can help many people but some people and look what that stupid people did to that.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
And the reason this works so well? It uses the patient's own cells! I'd say that once people really start experimenting with this concept, we're going to see some miracles happen.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Damn it science, you did it again. This is something very remarkable, and I only think that this is the tip of an entire iceberg of many similar applications that are going to be put to use in the future.

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
BabySinclair said:
I'm sensing multi-use applications for this. If you can regrow skin, regrowing organ tissue can't be that far off.
Internal organ tissue is a dramatically more complex issue. Skin's pretty easy because it's flat and essentially uniform; you can just set it up in a sheet, nourish it, and then basically just watch to make sure nothing goes wrong.

The same doesn't apply with, say, a liver. We're certainly working on it, but even deriving one via manipulation of pluripotent stem cells is extremely difficult.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Amazing!

I wish I could remember now what this other medical "gun" thing was... arg! It was nearly as cool as this.

Jan 29, 2009
Quaxar said:
thefreeman0001 said:
this video has been blocked from your country on copyright grounds
Me too. I hate national blocking...

Also, that's totally not like Star Wars. It it was Dath Vader wouldn't have to wear the suit!
That's right, we are now officially MORE medically advanced than Star Wars. Though, to be honest, the fact that a high-ranking government official is not given proper medical treatment and dies in childbirth "for some unknown reason" kinda makes me think they aren't that good in the first place, not to mention no use of anesthesia for Vader.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Skin Sprayer
Level [x] Medigun
-15% heal rate
+Instantly puts out afterburn.
+Healed targets get 25% resistance to fire damage for 10 seconds.

derp

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
Holy shit...that is amazing! That guy deserves 6 medals for making that device!!!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:

The applications for this are extraordinary.

I mean, if you're firing stem-cells, you're talking about feasibly curing cancer, regenerating limbs...possibly even repairing failing organs.

... Just wow.
There is a wide variety of stem cells, obtaining skin cells is no problem as we will always have those, but for limbs/organs you need to obtain stem cells from a fetus, and what such action would do to you is a wild guess (you may very well end up without a limb), for the most part stem cell research is still mostly trial and error.

But this is pretty damn awesome, this will bring skin repair to a whole different level.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Someone needs to start throwing a ton of R&D money at that guy.

I thought Star Trek more than Star Wars. I could definitely see Dr. McCoy with one of those things... which is a mind boggling thought really.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
alik44 said:
This is great but its goona be sad when some person comes out and say [insert extremely stupid reason why this is bad] and start getting people to hate it...oh come on we all see this coming when they came out with stem cell reaserch something that can help many people but some people and look what that stupid people did to that.
The primary argument that has been levied against previous stem-cell research was that the primary source of viable stem cells came from aborted (or miscarried) fetuses. This got flack from anti-abortion activists and some ethicists. Whether or not this was a wise argument is beyond the scope of this discussion, so I won't bother with that- but the main issue with stem cells stemmed (sorry, bad pun) from their source, not their existence.

I sincerely doubt anyone aside from a "You're playing God" nutter can raise objections to stem cells being grown from the patient's own healthy tissues and then being applied to any sort of wounds or diseased areas.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
He must be a witch! Burn the witch! Wait, he'll just heal himself after we burn him...Damn! He's indestructible!

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
IT'S AN ABOMINATION AGAINST THE LORD! BURN THE HERETICS! I love science, it's amazing what intelligent people come up with these days :)

Will of One

Jun 1, 2009
I have a feeling that this skin gun could go and start the zombie apocalypse somehow. Kind of I Am Legend-ish. That doctor totally sounds Russian too.

If that doesn't happen though, this thing is amazing and that doctor dude is a hero. We'll see.