Man Arrested For Trying to Split the Atom at Home

Ca3zar416

Sep 8, 2010
What sort of age do we live in that a man can't even perform mad science experiments in his own home?!?! What's next? Telling me I can't make a clone army of myself in my basement? Saying I can't test my death ray on neighbors obnoxiously loud children? Or maybe even that the national treasury isn't an acceptable place to test my new liquid explosive? Mark my words the days of the mad scientist are becoming numbered indeed. We must speak up and defend our rights!

poppabaggins

May 29, 2009
Ok, the guy is good at science. But Swedish police don't hate science, they hate the reckless endangerment of people. Remember that one guy who gave everyone in his apartment building cancer by bringing radioactive material home with him from work? Imagine all the kinds of bad shit this guy could have wrought on those around him.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Where did he get the radioactive materials necessary for such experiments? And I give him kudos for trying to learn something new. Most people just lay around, watching TV or searching for interesting news stories on their favorite online video game magazine.

Ulixes Dimon

Jul 25, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
Only two years? Sweden is light on atomic crime. Being caught with fissionable materials in the US would net you a much longer stay in a Fed facility.
orangeapples said:
it was only 1 atom. no one would miss it...
Would anybody miss the one town it would take with it?
Splitting one atom would make about one grain of sand jump. You massively overestimate the power of an atomic explosion.

Jay Satish

Aug 4, 2011
He may have been in possession of radioactive material, but I doubt he would have managed to do anything without smuggling in some hardcore equipment.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
You're allowed to build advance rocketry in the comfort of your own home, but God help you if you try to split a few atoms in the kitchen sink.

The government should have no business in what goes on behind 11-inch thick lead doors.

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
What kind of soulless rubber stamp of a prosecutor seeks to press charges against someone like that?

He apparently incriminated himself by contacting the authorities and asking for guidance on following regulations. He was arrested as a direct result of attempting to bring his actions in line with the law. Prosecuting in those circumstances sends the message that if you're not sure what you're doing is legal, it's too late to go back, and you're better off covering it up.

Hopefully they have enough sense to advise a fine as punishment instead of jail.

70R4N

Jan 14, 2010
jVictor said:
Everyone knows that nuclear physics is a gateway mad science. If they didn't stop him, he'd eventually move on to cloning, super-serums, doomsday devices, and trying to kill Superman.
DUUUH

Live4Lotus

Dec 5, 2009
His mistake was asking for permission...he should have just built a 100 foot tall nuclear-powered robot and sent it downtown to demand permission from the few who survive the death cannon attack.

Then someone would have to confront him in his lair...wearing lead-lined underwear on the outside and a rubber suit to prevent gasses from touching the skin.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
I hope he doesn't get jailed, sure was a pretty stupid thing to attempt, but he was smart enough to report himself before he did anything.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
... I am baffled wondering if this guy was a genius or a moron.
Just a curious and law-abiding citizen with an interest in science.

I hope they aren't being too heavy-handed with him (as police are known for doing), considering he DID alert them ahead of time.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
I don't know what to think of this. Take a look at his blog if you didn't.

There really... isn't much evidence of him doing anything questionable. A bunch of posts about certain elements using a hodgepodge of mismatching images (so likely Google Image Search derived than from his own personal camera) and then a single post on one experiment (the "meltdown") that just shows a dirty kitchen (as in regular, garden variety dirty) and a messed up beaker. Then a few posts on the arrest and media response. To me, it doesn't really look like he got much further than the planning and prep stages.

So, from his blog it's impossible to discount the possibility that he could've been all talk. I mean, obviously he had plans, but it doesn't look like anything serious actually happened yet, and the state of his kitchen doesn't seem to say much about his level of rigour. Melted goo in a beaker != "meltdown". The only real substantial evidence to the contrary is that the authorities found some radiactive elements stored in his house. Kinda a shame there because I got excited when I saw the link to his blog above...

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Artlover said:
thedoclc said:
The main threat from this man may be either the possibility more reasonable and sinister folks might acquire radioactive materials from him or just contamination of his locale by substances no sane individual would let this fruitcake handle.
See my previous reply. ANYONE can already legaly buy readioactive materials in small non dangerous quanities. Your concern here is completely invalid and moot.
That does not invalidate my point. This nut was handling compounds which are known to have health risks and should be handled as hazmat by non-morons. I'm not talking about him building a dirty bomb. Based on the photos of his kitchen I think more local contamination is certainly a possibility. Put simply, I would not want someone mucking about like this in an apartment which shares a ventilation system with mine. He was working with radium, a known carcinogen, and was based on what we know working with little to no safe lab practice.

Analogies are always suspect, but this would be like having having some crackpot who thinks he's a microbiologist fiddle around with Strept, some agar, and a blow dryer. He may not unleash a plague, but he may just give his neighbors pneumonia.

And yes, anyone can -buy- these materials, but when someone already has them stockpiled, it's a different situation because I do not believe he had control over where his hazmat materials were. Again, I think you believe I'm talking about a spectacular act - the kind the word terrorism usually evokes - when I'm thinking smaller, like dumb kids with gunpowder and free time. For example, if I had ammonium nitrate for agricultural purposes, and I did not take precautions with it, I would be at least partly responsible and liable if some idiot winds up deciding to have fun with it, steals it, and winds up burning down a barn. Likewise, if I contaminate my local area with the products I'm using (lawfully), I may still be responsible and liable for the harm this does to other people.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
I need my pimp cane.

(Twice in one month.)

OT: At the risk of sounding like a stick in the mud, I don't think it was a good idea to start doing nuclear experiments with taking little precaution. Sure he didn't take those pills or juice that were next to his meltdown, but can he really constitute himself as being safe solely on that?

upgray3dd

Jan 6, 2011
On the main escapist page. the headline read "Swedish Police Hate Science." When you click the link, the actual story is "Man tries to build NUCLEAR REACTOR in kitchen." There is a titanic gulf of distance between the headline and the article.

Apmclaughlin

Jul 22, 2011
to those who think it is hard to get radioactive material... just search ebay for uranium and bask in the glory of science