Man Chooses to Swap Disabled Hand for Bionic Replacement

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Stiffkittin said:
Yep, going to join the supercool consensus. That things are advancing in meaningful ways in this field is fantastic and exciting.

Dfskelleton said:
Let's just hope they don't have to make the hand out of his wife.
Ye-wot?
Your avatar fits that phrase perfectly.
Oh, it's the stupid plot twist from the newest Bionic Commando game.
The entire game features a subplot of the main character (who has a robot arm) attempting to locate his missing wife. It is revealed to him before the final boss that his bionic arm is actually fashioned out of his wife. Seriously. I'm not kidding. Supposedly it means that the host's (the protagonist's) body will accept the arm more if it is emotionally attached to him or something. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Canadish said:
Megacherv said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
It just goes to show what science is capable of when we really knuckle down.
I agree. Science sure is handy. I give those doctors the thumbs up! I just wish I had a grasp on how it all works.
Truly we are living in the digital age.
Oh snap, I missed that one! You really nailed me.
*facepalm*
You'll have to give me a helping hand next time.
I have to say I don't find your request opposable
I'm clutching at straws here. I guess I must be losing my touch.
Maybe you could point me in the right direction?
I...erm...hands...

Yeah, that'll do...
I applaud your effort sir.
Well I gotta hand it to him. He made a good effort. Too bad it was too touch and go! Though I can't say I'm much better. I've been trying to figure out how to make a pun out of "carpal", but I can't handle it.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Android2137 said:
Canadish said:
Megacherv said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
I agree. Science sure is handy. I give those doctors the thumbs up! I just wish I had a grasp on how it all works.
*facepalm*
I...erm...hands...

Yeah, that'll do...
Well I gotta hand it to him. He made a good effort. Too bad it was too touch and go! Though I can't say I'm much better. I've been trying to figure out how to make a pun out of "carpal", but I can't handle it.
Certainly was some fine handiwork on his part. Though I don't think it has the same punch as your own.
I'll help him out though. Pinky promise.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
This is so cool, and not just a guy regaining use of his hand! I'd totally get one of those, but I have full use of my hands. Seriously, how is bionic augmentation not the most awesome thing we could do with our bodies? Somebody please invent bionic eyes...I'm kinda sick of having to wear glasses and only being able to see between ~450-750nm.
If you have bionic eyes, you'll instead be wearing sunglasses all the time. That's just what happens when your vision is augmented.

Also, excellent news. Fully functioning prosthetics? I just hope it catches on/becomes cheaper and more practical soon.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Canadish said:
Android2137 said:
Canadish said:
Megacherv said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
*facepalm*
I...erm...hands...

Yeah, that'll do...
Certainly was some fine handiwork on his part. Though I don't think it has the same punch as your own.
One just needs a touch of creativity. In this day and age, meta humor seems to be popular. (Get it? Meta? Metacarpal? No? All right then...)

Either way though, bionic advancement is good news. Maybe someday, I can become a real cyborg and it'll be awesome! Though I might have to get into an accident first... That won't be so fun...

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
I think that all these puns might be making me mad, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Android2137 said:
Canadish said:
Android2137 said:
Canadish said:
Megacherv said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
*facepalm*
I...erm...hands...

Yeah, that'll do...
One just needs a touch of creativity. In this day and age, meta humor seems to be popular. (Get it? Meta? Metacarpal? No? All right then...)

Either way though, bionic advancement is good news. Maybe someday, I can become a real cyborg and it'll be awesome! Though I might have to get into an accident first... That won't be so fun...
People do certainly seem enjoy poking fun. I slap my sides laughing sometimes.

Though I wouldn't get in to much of a hurry to throw yourself under a bus, if you don't have the cash, the hospital might just give you the finger

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
*facepalm*
I don't know, you seem to have a good grasp on the concept, but any more and the gloves are coming off! :mad:
I'm sure he could take you single-handed.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
*facepalm*
I don't know, you seem to have a good grasp on the concept, but any more and the gloves are coming off! :mad:
And the gauntlet is thrown.
I warn ye, we're already snatching each others puns here.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Sacman said:
I'm reminded of the creepy Deus Ex Sarif Industries trailers...
Yeah, these came out on the same day, right? (I mean, the videos were published the same day as news of the bionic hand.) That's quite creepy.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Wait, people bitched about this? The guy wants it done, the surgeon is totally fine with it, and it's doing nothing but helping Milo.

Why would you ***** about something like that?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010

I'm sorry, maybe I missed the importance of this, why is this different from any one getting prosthetic implants?

I mean, its a great story, it really is. he's getting a second chance at life, which is good and all, but... it just doesnt seem that special when I have six people living on my block with Prosthetic Implants (A lot of old coal miners and steel works live on my block).

EDIT:
Kopikatsu said:
Wait, people bitched about this? The guy wants it done, the surgeon is totally fine with it, and it's doing nothing but helping Milo.

Why would you ***** about something like that?
Some people beleive that everyone should stay natural. no tattoos and such.

and some people are probably just scared. or think it will hurt him if soemthign goes wrong (cause even today, an implant isnt that perfect science we saw in Star wars.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
PureIrony said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
PureIrony said:
This is quite the interesting advancement.

Now lets just hope no one tries to replace their arm with a prosthetic made out of their wife.
Or a mech suit made out of your mom.
Took me a minute to get the Evangelion reference. I thought you were insulting me.
Why would any scifi writers think that constructing any technology out of a human is a clever idea?

It's just gross and stupid. DX
Its actually worse than that. Evangelions aren't made from humans; they're essentially a very soft-science version of clones which have human souls implanted in them.

And they're next anime had robots/phallic imagery crawling out of a hyperspace portal in a 12 years old's skull. Always so lovably crazy, that Studio Gainax.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
*facepalm*
And the gauntlet is thrown.
I warn ye, we're already snatching each others puns here.
Funkysandwich said:
I'm sure he could take you single-handed.
I'm pretty sure I could beat him when it comes to fisticuffs: I've got quite a reach.
But I have the flexibility.
Now, maybe we pull our punchs. After all, derailing a thread is a heavy risk...

Alphalpha

Jan 11, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
Alphalpha said:
thethingthatlurks said:
This is so cool, and not just a guy regaining use of his hand! I'd totally get one of those, but I have full use of my hands. Seriously, how is bionic augmentation not the most awesome thing we could do with our bodies? Somebody please invent bionic eyes...I'm kinda sick of having to wear glasses and only being able to see between ~450-750nm.
That's what laser eye surgery is for.
About $3000 per eye, and it won't do anything about that limited range. I want to see in the IR-UV range, damnit!
Whatever, man. Once the inevitable EMP terrorist apocalyptic strike shuts down North America I'll be sitting pretty with my 20/20 vision while you're stumbling around blind.

This amuses me.