Man killed by police after angry CoD gamer SWATs player for lost $1.50 wager match

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Fuck. Guess it finally happened. Poor bastard.
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
What the fuck is wrong with these people? Hopefully everyone involved sees some gaol time. And why the hell did police just shoot an unarmed man in an anonymous tipoff? When someone says 'swatting' I assume that meansactually trained armed response teams in general? Bit of control might be needed.
Whether or not an actual SWAT team is involved varies, but the effect is the same. They shot him because they chose to take the situation entirely seriously, which ended up with a man paying the price for doing something entirely innocent.
Apparently you shouldn't think or plan murdering someone personally, or hiring a hitman. Just anonymously inform on them to the police and make up a dangerous situation.
This is depressingly common actually. You can make up all sorts of shit and get police to respond or just get someone's rights taken away based on hearsay.
CannibalCorpses said:
Well, if i was a betting man i would wager that the victim was a black man and thats why the SWAT team shot him dead :p
Good thing you're not a betting man.
Xsjadoblayde said:
This was only a matter of that there time you have. Is it time yet to discuss how to combat this?
That's the fucked up thing about it. You can't really combat it without making problems somewhere else. Your best option is racking up insane charges against people and putting a fuckton of effort into finding the callers.
Hawk of Battle said:
How... does this happen? Like, the guy doing the phone call was claiming HE was the one with the gun, according to that video in the second link, and presumably gave the wrong address, that he got from the guy he was pissed off at. But he was calling from a completely different address right? Do they not check where the phone call is coming from and see something doesn't add up? Shouldn't they have gone to HIS address?
Many ways to spoof numbers and that's provided they're taking the time to check at all. With the situation presented, you can take the time to react and potentially lose lives or you go out and hope for the best.
So then some poor sod opens his door, gets shouted at by a bunch of cops leveling guns at him, is rightly confused and probably scared and then gets shot for doing basically nothing?

Just... what?! The level of incompetence and mishandling of this whole situation is baffling. Everyone involved needs to be investigated and probably receive jail time, the two COD morons, the officers, the whole lot. Fucking insane.
Considering we just had the Vegas cop get away with one of the worst shoots I've seen, I wouldn't count on it.
BreakfastMan said:
Jesus christ. How is SWATting not illegal now? They seriously should charge that ************ with murder or manslaughter, god damn.
It very much is and that's probably what's going to happen. Don't be surprised if the guy gets life.
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Quizzically these are the same type of people that Trump wants to give AFVs to, right?
This is also the same country where people want police to be the only ones with guns. This can only end so well.
Samtemdo8 said:
What I don't understand is if the cops are going to fire at a suspect? Why don't they fire at a non lethal area?
Because when it comes to using controlled explosions to send a metal slug out of a tube with directed force to rip through someone's body, there is no such thing as a non-lethal area. If you're in a situation where you have to shoot someone, everything has already gone to hell and you're at the point where ending a life is a viable/outright necessary option.
Like why can't this cop just shoot the suspect in the leg to cripple him so that they can at least arrest him while he's still alive.
If I'm reaching for a gun and you're taking shots at my leg, if you even manage to hit me, I'm still grabbing a firearm and probably going to be shooting at you with no care if you live or not. You dying would actually be my intention so your best option to stop this is aiming for my torso and firing until I'm no longer a threat.
I thought the whole point of law enforcement in our modern day is catch the criminal alive first and then judge them.
When possible, yes. However if the suspect is endangering lives, that takes priority. The actual MO of SWAT is to ensure that everyone involved survives with preferably not a single shot fired unless absolutely necessary, hence the acronym Special Weapons And Tactics. Problem is that you're still dealing with armed suspects and some people don't listen to reason. Even worse is that you're beginning to get a major militarization of police that forgets the Tactics bit and are soldiers by any other name.

But none of this even applies since it looks like regular officers responded.
But of course it would be better if they don't fire at all.
In the best circumstances, yes.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
And I have been told the example of Non Lethal weapons like Shotguns with Rubber Slugs and Tasers are not as effective to incapacitate a Suspect...

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
And I have been told the example of Non Lethal weapons like Shotguns with Rubber Slugs and Tasers are not as effective to incapacitate a Suspect...
They're also not as non-lethal as you think. Tasers can just as easily kill you if you're unlucky.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Leg End said:
Samtemdo8 said:
They're also not as non-lethal as you think. Tasers can just as easily kill you if you're unlucky.
They do, however, require more unluckyness to kill you than a gun does.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
undeadsuitor said:
I'll stop making blanket statements when it stops being true. And I'll lay off cops when they stop circling the wagons every time one makes a mistake.

We've reached a point in America where criticising the police is tantamount to spitting on the flag and that's not okay.
I don't see that. And in any case, this just happened, so give the police room to breathe already. Obviously the SWAT team member made a grave mistake but the thing is, you weren't there. You have no idea as to what it looked like or didn't look like.
Stop defending murderers.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The guy who called the SWAT team should be beaten to death with his gaming system. However, the cops in the US are apparently legally allowed to shoot you if you simply don't comply with their every command. They don't even have to see you holding a weapon. They just can't be arsed to try to resolve the situation peacefully because it might take longer, I guess. So they shoot you instead.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
undeadsuitor said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
undeadsuitor said:
Welcome to America. Where police officers aren't a public agency but more of a force of nature that can kill anyone they want as long as they vaguely place their hands anywhere.

Cops are cowards. End of discussion.
Yeahhhhh, how about we just don't make blanket statements like that, OK?

In fact, why don't we all just chill the hell out about the cops. I highly doubt the offending officer just got up one day and said, "You know what? I'm gonna shoot an innocent person today."

SWAT teams also simply don't have much, if any time to prepare their ops. They need to do their stuff and do it fast.
I'll stop making blanket statements when it stops being true. And I'll lay off cops when they stop circling the wagons every time one makes a mistake.

We've reached a point in America where criticising the police is tantamount to spitting on the flag and that's not okay. Cops aren't veterans no matter how much they want to pretend to be soldiers on the streets.
Actually in this case it looks like the cops responded in a rather expected manner.
Not the usual trigger happy nature that it seems like a lot of these events go out in.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Saelune said:
Charge the SWAT team with murder too.
Excellent. Shall we murder their respective parents too for raising them?
You're the one who doesnt want to punish the guilty, so it seems like you are the one to go after their parents. Me? I prefer punishing the people pulling the trigger.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Saelune said:
Kotaro said:
Charge them with murder. Because that's what this was: murder by cop.
Fuck that noise. Charge the guy who told the police Someone had a gun trained on their mother and had already killed their father .

Video game culture is seriously fucked up that "swatting" is common enough to have a goddamn slang term

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Saelune said:
Me? I prefer punishing the people pulling the trigger.
You know what, I don't actually care all that much whether the team member is actually guilty or goes to jail or whatever. It's that you all AUTOMATICALLY assume that the cop in question was some asshole who deserves to be punished when you literally don't even know the first thing about him. Guilty until proven innocent doesn't fly well with me.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
DrownedAmmet said:
Saelune said:
Kotaro said:
Fuck that noise. Charge the guy who told the police Someone had a gun trained on their mother and had already killed their father .

Video game culture is seriously fucked up that "swatting" is common enough to have a goddamn slang term
Arnoxthe1 said:
Saelune said:
You know what, I don't actually care all that much whether the team member is actually guilty or goes to jail or whatever. It's that you all AUTOMATICALLY assume that the cop in question was some asshole who deserves to be punished when you literally don't even know the first thing about him. Guilty until proven innocent doesn't fly well with me.
Yeah cause who cares that the SWAT team are chumps who suck at their job?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Saelune said:
I have to balance out the people who AUTOMATICALLY assume the cop in question isnt a murderer for murdering someone.

Edit: It worries me that you're more bothered by my anger than an innocent person being killed.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Arnoxthe1 said:
Saelune said:
Yes because the guy gunning down an unarmed civilian on their front porch and following that up by he and his fellow officers handcuffing the remaining house members and marching them outside, in freezing temperatures, over their dead family member's body[footnote]http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-swatting-suspect-20171230-story.html[/footnote] is the good guy here....

See, if the police actually worked as hard removing the bad apples in their midst (ie: the ones we see killing innocents, planting evidence, lying on reports, etc daily) instead of defending "the thin blue line," they wouldn't get the hate they do. As long as officers' efforts are focused on an "us vs them" narrative where they pretend to play soldier in warzones, they will get deserved flak.

Note: There are good cops. Hell, I'll say that the vast majority of cops are good cops, but "you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas."

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
You have been misinformed. There is no such thing as a 'non-leathal weapon'. The very idea is contradictory. What you are referring to are 'LESS-lethal rounds' in the case of tazers and/or the aforementioned beanbag rounds. As in, these have a much lower chance of killing you than a traditional firearm. Not no chance, just a lower one.

DrownedAmmet said:
Saelune said:
Kotaro said:
Fuck that noise. Charge the guy who told the police Someone had a gun trained on their mother and had already killed their father
I believe they will: a death caused in the commission of another crime, such as making a false report to police, can result in a charge of felony-murder in the United States. Or so I am informed, that provision may have changed or the false report is an insufficiently strong enough crime to use.

Avnger said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Saelune said:
Yes because the guy gunning down an unarmed civilian on their front porch and following that up by he and his fellow officers handcuffing the remaining house members and marching them outside, in freezing temperatures, over their dead family member's body[footnote]http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-swatting-suspect-20171230-story.html[/footnote] is the good guy here....

See, if the police actually worked as hard removing the bad apples in their midst (ie: the ones we see killing innocents, planting evidence, lying on reports, etc daily) instead of defending "the thin blue line," they wouldn't get the hate they do. As long as officers' efforts are focused on an "us vs them" narrative where they pretend to play soldier in warzones, they will get deserved flak.

Note: There are good cops. Hell, I'll say that the vast majority of cops are good cops, but "you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas."
To be completely fair, when groups like S.W.A.T. or S.O.G. are brought in, handcuffing everyone is standard procedure since they are usually going in totally blind. Tactical groups like this are typically brought in to a situation that is already off the rails in a big way and their mission is to restore order through overwhelming shows (and if the warranted, demonstrations) of force so that the police may quickly and safely ascertain who is who.

The trouble is, post September 11, these groups are being brought in to actions that typically would not warrant them since they now feel obligated to treat ANY act of violence as the beginnings of potential terrorism.

djinns

Nov 9, 2016
Country
US
They should give the guy who called in the SWAT a break, he did it for the lulz. Lulz and apathy > integrity and empathy