Man Kills Self While Taking a Selfie With a Gun

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
If I said I laughed at this story, will I go to Hell? ^^;

I don't mean to be a prick but what this man did was fucking stupid beyond belief. Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense or who has been properly trained with firearms knows that YOU DO NOT POINT A GUN AT ANY LIVING CREATURE UNLESS YOU INTEND TO FIRE AT IT! Yes, its sad that this careless act led to this man losing his life. That said, you're not going to generate much sympathy from people who know not to dick around with firearms. This is just another fine example of nature selection working its magic on the less intelligent.

If there is an afterlife, this man should not go to Hell for accidentally taking his own life. He needs to be slapped by the creator and sent back to Earth as a lower life form just for being that dumb.

LostPause

Sep 20, 2013
Alpha Maeko said:
Tragic... but still a moron.

Also, did he manage to capture the moment when he fired with that selfie?
I'd imagine he might have suffered from a lethal case of 'crossed wires' and pressed with his right instead of his left hand.

As for all the people shaming those who are mocking this guy- laughing at death and dead people is what human beings do. Generally there's an expectation of waiting a while and that you don't do in the presence of immediate friends and family but you can't just assume people are heartless bastards for pointing out someone's idiocy. It's best to take it as a given that people aren't so much delighting in someone's else death and lacking in respect for that person's humanity as they are highlighting the circumstances around that person.

Speaking of which, I get the impression this guy [who with his ferrari cap and leather jacket reminds me of Joey with his porsche clothing in an episode of friends] probably isn't part of a gang or cartel but his friend who he borrowed the gun from might be... which leads me to consider that this could have been a really imaginative hit...

"He was taking a selfie, Officer, honest."

P.S. Pointing out the guy's an idiot on a forum talking about the news is fine, but if people start taking mock selfies of themselves having blown their own brains out... then it's tasteless.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
I'm glad I'm not the only one that laughed. How can anyone be that stupid?

I feel bad for his friends and family but not for him. He can serve as a cautionary tale when he wins this years Darwin Award.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
This is layers upon layers of stupid.

First, taking a picture showing you in possession of something illegal in your country. Then pointing a gun at your own head. Then not making sure the gun was unloaded. Then not at least having the safety on. And finally, keeping your finger on the trigger of a loaded gun while you wave it around at your own head.

I have no sympathy for the person who does this to themselves. I feel bad for the family, but at least let me call him an idiot. It takes no special knowledge to know to not point a gun at your own head.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
flashoverride said:
1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3. Keep finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. Keep weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
Took the words right out of my mouth. You're taught to always assume a weapon is loaded and ready to fire even if you know otherwise.
Sad to see someone my age lose their life, but the guy was a moron.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Stupidity does not justify a death sentence. I know people like to feel good about themselves and all high and mighty compared to lesser people, but this thread just seems really fucking cold to me.
Did he deserve to die? No. Should we feel particularly sorry for someone who lacks the level of good sense required to know that they shouldn't point a gun at something they aren't planning to shoot (seriously, that's gun safety rule number one)? No.

It may sound cold, and that's probably because it is. I feel bad for his family, but I have no sympathy for someone who dies doing something stupid to themselves.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Glaice said:
He could have unloaded the magazine from his weapon first..
Might not have helped if he didn't think to check the chamber first as well.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Well, responsible gun owners would never do anything like that. Until the day they show off their gun to their child or nephew or friend like an irresponsible gun owner would. While, to be fair, this guy wasn't even supposed to own a gun according to the article, it's not like these kinds of accidents don't happen with a lot of legal guns also. But there you go: If you want it so badly, sacrifices have to be made I suppose, accidents will happen. I'll never understand it, but a lot of people are apparently fine with it.

LostPause

Sep 20, 2013
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/04/mod-brings-selfies-gta-iv

Wonders if the Media will be able to tie these two together to say that playing GTA IV obviously inspired this act of stupidity...

Peaceful Winter

Jun 7, 2014
Meh... he deserved it .If you don't respect firearms , YOU WILL GET HURT .

If you play with fire, you get burned.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Another addition to the ever-growing list of stupid things people have done while taking selfies. If taking selfies was an evolutionary trait, it would not have much time left in our gene pool.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I hate to admit it, but my feelings about this are definitely motivated more by the fact that he poses in front of women and takes selfies, than by the fact that he just did something as dumb as shooting himself in the face.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
JimB said:
I wish fewer people were making fun of this guy. Yes, his death is his own fault, and yes, his death was preventable, but a human being is dead. His parents have just outlived their son; his siblings are planning their brother's funeral; his significant other is facing down the idea of a life without the man she loved and not having the children she might have been dreaming about. It's not really very funny.
While I agree that any loss of life is tragic, and that making fun of this dude is leaning on being immature, it is really hard, if not impossible, to find any sort of sympathy for this guy. Not only was what he did extremely irresponsible and downright moronic, but he could have also hurt someone else. I'm almost glad this guy ended up capping himself because if it wasn't him, it likely would have been someone else that didn't deserve it.

Also, if you're dumb and irresponsible enough to point a gun to your head, loaded or otherwise, simply for the sake of trying to look like top shit, then you are definitely not fit to raise a child.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Stupidity does not justify a death sentence. I know people like to feel good about themselves and all high and mighty compared to lesser people, but this thread just seems really fucking cold to me.
There's acting like an idiot, then there's pointed a loaded weapon at yourself. Some acts of stupidity deserve the consequences.

The first thing any gun class will teach you is to never point it at something you don't intend to shoot. The second thing they teach you is to always treat a firearm as if it's loaded. Blatant disregard for safety rules deserves repercussions.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
mitchell271 said:
If you're insistent on that mindset, then worry more about the people in Gaza getting missiles rained on them. According to the Palestinian UN ambassador, over 10,000 people have been injured/killed and hundreds of those among the dead are hundreds of children. If anything, mourn the children that didn't deserve this in any way instead of the imbecile that shot himself trying to look cool.
You've missed my point kind of spectacularly. I am not interested in ranking tragedies on some kind of comparative scale that dismisses anyone's death as being unworthy of comment, nor in mourning for people I haven't met. I just think it's kind of sad how many people's reaction seems to be, "Ha ha, it's funny because one second he was alive and the next he's lost all chances to ever do any of the things he was going to do."

Th37thTrump3t said:
While I agree that any loss of life is tragic, and that making fun of this dude is leaning on being immature, it is really hard, if not impossible, to find any sort of sympathy for this guy.
He doesn't need your sympathy. He's dead. He will never experience your sympathy, no matter how much you offer it to him. I'm not real worried about hurting a dead man's feelings. Sucks for his family that people are falling over themselves to pat themselves on the back for being smarter than him and to crow about how much everyone who knew him deserves to be in mourning right now, but I can't get real worked up about that either since I doubt anyone who loved him is on this site. I just wish fewer people were responding to a human being's death by pointing and laughing.

Of course, if wishes were ponies, I'd probably have my very own Rainbow Dash right now.

Oh, well.

RWillers

Mar 17, 2010
It is not illegal to possess weapons in Mexico. Not exactly, anyway. We do have a "Right to Keep and Bear Arms", after all. From Article 10 of the Mexican Constitution:

"Article 10. The inhabitants of the United Mexican States have the right to possess arms within their domicile, for their safety and legitimate defense, except those forbidden by Federal Law and those reserved for the exclusive use of the Army, Militia, Air Force and National Guard. Federal law shall provide in what cases, conditions, under what requirements and in which places inhabitants shall be authorized to bear arms.
Our laws, however, are very strict regarding which weapons we can acquire, where and how we can acquire them, where and how we may carry them, among other things. The penalties for breaking those laws are pretty harsh as well. Even carrying something as "simple" as a knife, in public, could get you up to five years in prison.

Because of those restrictions, and speaking strictly in general terms, Mexicans do not have a gun culture and/or education regarding fire arms. Believe it or not, there are people who see weapons as something alien, something that only the military and the cartels use.

Things have changed somewhat since the start of the war. Many young men and women look up to the military and they willingly join the Army (where they learn about fire arms), or they willingly perform their military service (where they also learn about fire arms, although not to the same extent). There's also the other side of the coin: those who look up to the drug lords and their cartels also learn about weapons but, and this is just my personal opinion, they fail to learn respect for the weapons and human life as a whole.

TL;DR: Although owning weapons in Mexico is not illegal, the law is very strict and harsh. Because of this, there is no proper gun culture in the country.