Man Loses 27 Pounds Eating Twinkies and Doritos

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Oarsum? I suppose I could stand to lose a few extra pounds, got me a beer belly starting. Break out the crap foods!

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Seems to me like Haub, as a nutritinalist, calculated what nutrients the body needed, found out how much there were in junk food, and simply ate the right amount of the right junk food to get his nutrients. If you just walk into a shop and buy rnadomly depending on what you fancy these amount will be skewed; you'll likely have too much fat and calories but not enough vitamins.

I know that kinda sounds like I'm putting him down, but I really do think this is cool. I await the first junk-food cookbook, there's no actual cooking involved it just tells you what combinations of foods won't make you fat.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
He probably lost all that weight because he had mild pancreatitis the entire time. Just thinking about eathing almost exclusively twinkies and doritos with a side of Mountain Dew makes my stomach hurt.

Also, I'm guessing this guy doesn't do a whole lot of research, because the article referred twice to his experience as data. I don't really think this qualifies as "data". It's more like anecdotal evidence.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Formica Archonis said:
Anarchemitis said:
It's all about the adaptability of the human body. In order to decrease expenses, I've conditioned myself to eating only two meals a day during college, and so far as I can tell I'm perfectly healthy compared to peers.
I hate eating. I've got myself down to one meal a day and a small snack just before bed. It horrifies people.
Sure does for me. It's very unhealthy to not eat breakfast.

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
Zechnophobe said:
He was really just proving the point that Caloric intake is the biggest factor in weight loss. Eat what you want, just don't eat many calories of it.

As a nutritionist, he simply had the practiced will power to follow such a strict dining plan.
This doesn't prove that caloric intake is the most important factor in weight loss. It proves that caloric restriction works in weight loss, which is largely a moot point because there are few circumstances in which one can lose weight without operating at an effective caloric deficit.
---
I'd be interested to see the effects this had on his physical health, but, as implied above, I don't find this surprising in the slightest.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Alex The Rat said:
We'll see how he feels once he contracts scurvy.
I hate fruit, and I don't have Scurvy. I was thinking that Brushing my teeth kind of kept me from getting it.

OT: Eating less makes you loose weight? No way! (/sarcasm) I could already tell you that. Well, at least a scientist is proving it.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
It means nothing but that eating less food makes you skinny. He practically halfed the amount of food he hate, and that half remaining was fatty foods. If the remainder was healthy foods, he would have lost a lot more.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
Alex The Rat said:
I hate fruit, and I don't have Scurvy. I was thinking that Brushing my teeth kind of kept me from getting it.

OT: Eating less makes you loose weight? No way! (/sarcasm) I could already tell you that. Well, at least a scientist is proving it.
Not unless you have ascorbic acid in your toothpaste... and you swallow it, I guess.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
PhiMed said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Alex The Rat said:

Not unless you have ascorbic acid in your toothpaste... and you swallow it, I guess.
But I don't have scurvy. I have minor inflammation at the top left of my gums but that's it. Maybe it's something else I am eating?

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
PhiMed said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Alex The Rat said:

But I don't have scurvy. I have minor inflammation at the top left of my gums but that's it. Maybe it's something else I am eating?
That would be my guess. BTW, bleeding gums is not the only sign of vitamin C deficiency (aka scurvy).

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
He dropped his caloric intake by 800 calories.

Calories are basically what contributes to weight loss and weight gain.

the guy was probably starving most of the time considering junk food is just empty calories with no real sustenance - that's why it's junk food.

He had protein shakes and vegetables to keep him feeling full.. he was probably miserable.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
PhiMed said:
That would be my guess. BTW, bleeding gums is not the only sign of vitamin C deficiency (aka scurvy).
I know that, but I don't have spongy gums, spots on my legs, I'm not really pale, I am not partially immobalized, and I am not depressed either. I am thinking that Tomatoes, French Fries (Potatoes) and the occasional Lemon Juice (When I am extremely low on Blood Glucose) keep me Scurvy free.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Sorry to crash on a parade, but wasn't it proven years ago that it's more about how much you eat than what you eat? Or was that just a surprisingly true myth?

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
PhiMed said:
I know that, but I don't have spongy gums, spots on my legs, I'm not really pale, I am not partially immobalized, and I am not depressed either. I am thinking that Tomatoes, French Fries (Potatoes) and the occasional Lemon Juice (When I am extremely low on Blood Glucose) keep me Scurvy free.
Tomatoes and lemon juice sound like the candidates to me. Fries, not so much.