Man Loses 27 Pounds Eating Twinkies and Doritos

Normalgamer

Dec 21, 2009
vrbtny said:
This discovery could eliminate the overweight WOW playing Nerd within months.....
Because all WoW players are overweight and nerds right?

OT: Awesome, in a scientific way, bad, in a social way. I can't wait to see all the people who try to replicate this and end up getting fatter :/.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
vrbtny said:
This discovery could eliminate the overweight WOW playing Nerd within months.....
WoW addicts are often slim, either forgetting to eat or eating foods that are so quickly assimilated you lose weight easily.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Bassman_2 said:
He probably had help from his AIDES!
Awww bugger! As soon as I saw this thread I thought "I know what I'm going to post".

Curse you, sir. And touché!

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
It is most likely because he shit some of his bones out. That can't be healthy weight loss.

Mar 9, 2010
Those are perplexing figures. The diet would have to continue for a long period of time to tell if it's healthier. He may be losing weight, but that doesn't mean it's healthy. I do wonder how this all turns out and how it's all happening. Maybe we are missing something in how our body works.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
The general rule of thumb when losing weight is to not take in more calories then you use, or so my former Royal Marines Commando gym instructor told me ;)

Case in point, I am always working out and training so as a result of this my metabolism is off the charts and I need to eat. Alot.

As Altorin mentioned, the gentleman who ate twinkies probably had to starve a lot of the time because he wasn't burning any calories (or so I would assume from the original post).

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I'd probably debate that he actually felt healthier but I suppsoe I can't debate whether he lost weight or not.

I mean all that sugar ... after you crash from the sugar rush you feel overwhelmingly horrible ... like a sledgehammer to your features.

Aug 25, 2009
He dropped his calorie intake, that's kinda what did it.

Of course, if you were to keep up that diet for a long time the other factors or cholesterol and fat would begin to return. It's the same as the Atkins or Dukan diet (I'm currently on the Dukan diet, so I had to learn about this). Eating strictly protein for months will cause rapid weight loss, and you'll appear healthy, but after a month or two you have to start reintroducing other foods, because otherwise your cholesterol skyrockets, and when your cholesterol goes up, your weight follows it.

Similar thing here. If you did this for long enough, eventually the high concentration of sugars and saturated fats would have a quite severe health impact.

The best diet is a completely balanced diet, based on the food pyramid thing, and everything in moderation, eating slightly less than the RDA of calories. Everything else should just be used for a quick blitz to help you over the initial hurdle of weight loss.

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
Really. All you needed was to not eat like a pig and you'd be healthy. Really. Glad we know this now.

Apr 28, 2008
It gets him to lose weight. But if someone else tried it, any number of things could happen.

People are different, whats healthy for one person could kill someone else. Each person has a health system unique to them. Hell I went a week of eating fast food and lost 2 pounds. I'm sure if anyone else tried that they would gain weight.

Its why I don't do diet plans.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Alex The Rat said:
We'll see how he feels once he contracts scurvy.
1) that's what multi-vitamins are for
2) I'm sure there are packaged foods that contain vitamin c, like anything with any amount of real citrus in it
3) He's a nutritionist, he's not going to contract scurvy.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Haub is now perfectly healthy as opposed to overweight

That's assuming the BMI isn't a total joke (Brad Pitt is overweight according to it. BRAD FUCKING PITT)

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
MelasZepheos said:
The best diet is a completely balanced diet, based on the food pyramid thing, and everything in moderation, eating slightly less than the RDA of calories. Everything else should just be used for a quick blitz to help you over the initial hurdle of weight loss.
Yep. And I think that's the point; all the fad diets out there (and I include Atkins with 'em) have these "ekstra speshul" eating formulas that are supposed to make pounds melt away. This study blows that idea out of the water, and works in line with the Weight Watchers (or most dieticians, for that matter) idea that it's caloric intake and physical exertion that determine weight gain. You don't have to eat special combinations of food in order to lose weight; you can lose weight eating the same foods you enjoy, just less of it than you used to.*

That this is a revelation to some is a bad sign for how health is dealt with in the media.

-- Steve

* The function of a "balanced diet" is to ensure you get enough vitamins, minerals, proteins, and similar nutrients to support basic health. It takes a particularly bad diet to miss that badly enough these days to make for obvious health problems, given how many packaged foods are fortified with additional nutrients, though I know of a few undergrad students who got into health crises dining solely on ramen, Kraft Dinner, and beer.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
jonnosferatu said:
This doesn't prove that caloric intake is the most important factor in weight loss. It proves that caloric restriction works in weight loss, which is largely a moot point because there are few circumstances in which one can lose weight without operating at an effective caloric deficit.
I'm not sure I understand your point, but let me make certain so I do not criticize unfairly. It very much appears you are repeating yourself. Caloric restriction works in weight loss, and there are few possible diets that cause you to lose weight that don't include it. These both would seem to indicate it was a very big factor.

If you are saying that most other diets also tend to lead towards lower caloric intake, well, that may be true but begs the question which part of the diet is then being effective?

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Greg Tito said:
The world would fix itself almost instantly if everyone could grasp two simple but impossible concepts:

1. If you spend less money than you make, you cannot go broke.
2. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you cannot gain weight.

Seriously, what is fat but stored energy? If you're not taking in that much excess energy, there's nothing to store. Law of conservation of matter, people. If you don't eat it, it can't make you fatter.

Eat enough to keep your metabolism from going into emergency mode, and space it out over the course of the day. Ta-da, you're getting thinner. Add exercise for increased results.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Irridium said:
It gets him to lose weight. But if someone else tried it, any number of things could happen.

People are different, whats healthy for one person could kill someone else. Each person has a health system unique to them. Hell I went a week of eating fast food and lost 2 pounds. I'm sure if anyone else tried that they would gain weight.

Some things are consistent. Each person has different metabolism, but everyone's bodies obey the first law of thermodynamics. You can't create mass or energy.

So, if you determine your baseline for how many calories you burn during the day, and you make sure that your intake is, say, 10% less than that, you'll see weight loss. It doesn't mean the exact same diet works for everyone, but the exact same method does. Matter and energy are neither created nor destroyed.

Apr 28, 2008
dastardly said:
Irridium said:

Some things are consistent. Each person has different metabolism, but everyone's bodies obey the first law of thermodynamics. You can't create mass or energy.

So, if you determine your baseline for how many calories you burn during the day, and you make sure that your intake is, say, 10% less than that, you'll see weight loss. It doesn't mean the exact same diet works for everyone, but the exact same method does. Matter and energy are neither created nor destroyed.
Huh, did not think about that while ranting.

Good points. Now I feel rather silly.