Man Murders Girlfriend Over GTA

Feb 13, 2008
Man Murders Girlfriend Over GTA

A Lincolnshire man has stabbed the mother of his children multiple times as a result of her obsession with GTA.

The court heard testimony this week that Malcolm Palmer, 62, stabbed Carol Cannon, 46, 20 times with a pair of knives. The attack was the culmination of events that, apparently, began with the purchase of a PS3 for their son, James.

James was allowed to play until midnight, at which point, mother Carol would take over and play GTA, frequently until five or six in the morning. Carol apparently enjoyed her gaming enough to bring the 37 inch plasma screen into the bedroom, forcing Palmer to sleep on the couch.

Palmer became convinced that she was having an affair, and when she said she was moving out in November last year, he was said to enter a "violent rage".

James called the police after the attack. When they were on the line, his father took the phone from him and told the authorities, "I'm sorry. I think I've killed her."

Palmer will be sentenced tomorrow after admitting to the murder charge.

Source: The Daily Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/5077892/Father-killed-partner-who-became-hooked-on-Sony-PlayStation.html]

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Warning: Gaming addiction can now cause death.

She was definitely addicted, that's for sure, and damn inconsiderate to her husband...of course she didn't deserve to die.

Nico4

Dec 24, 2008
Man talk about an addiction that will ruin the family. Still wrong of him to murder her though, but at least he admitted it. Just shows that girls can become just as addicted to video games as men can

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
Too bad this'll somehow become twisted in the media so it seems like he was the violent 'addict' who decided to 'emulate' his favorite game and stab his wife.

kolompi

Mar 26, 2009
I always said GTA was evil. But seriously, GTA (especially GTAIV) is not worth playing, or dieing for.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Wow...for once games actually have a part in this but still can't be blamed.

Also having an affair!? With what? Niko? (To my knowledge there is no Multiplayer)

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
MA7743W said:
Too bad this'll somehow become twisted in the media so it seems like he was the violent 'addict' who decided to 'emulate' his favorite game and stab his wife.
Don't you know it.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Hmm...So what did gaming have to do with the man kill his girlfriend cause she was having an affair?

Also I think people missed the whole point of this news...Women play GTA too!!!

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
This is what happens when you let your overwhelming issues with codependency take over the logic center of your brain. The husband was too spineless to tell his wife to take the games into the living room and let him sleep, like courtesy would dictate. And if she was having an affair, is was likely a repreive from having to listen to his whining ass. GTA is a red herring here.

Way to be, f**ktard...

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
SURGEON GENERAL WARNING: Video Games may cause death

thats the most terrible thing ever, hope he gets locked up for a good long time

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
stormcaller said:
Wow...for once games actually have a part in this but still can't be blamed.

Also having an affair!? With what? Niko? (To my knowledge there is no Multiplayer)
I don't know if/how they're implemented on PSN, but GTA4 has several multiplayer modes playable over Xbox Live (and the PC, of course).

-- Steve